Apparent Ebay Fraud

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ted321, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

ted321 and eddiel like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah, the warnings signs were all over these auctions. It can be difficult to feel sorry for people who were duped here.

I bet he was engaging in shill bidding as well.

5. 2 people did and others bid over $1,000. The fools will get their money back but eBay/PayPal is at risk if any of the thousands have been withdrawn, assuming payment has been made by the buyers.

6. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I noticed a couple of auctions by this seller a few weeks ago - mixed lots that had some really rare LPs but no info on condition, and some of the final bids ended up pretty high. Sorry if some folks got scammed.

7. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

So this seller has 0 items for sale now....

Just waiting for more feedback.... this will be interesting...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  8. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Well - it's going for over $6,000USD on Discogs....

9. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Simon A likes this.
  10. MZ_RH1

MZ_RH1 Active Member

11. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Doesn't look good...negative feedback has begun.

12. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident Thread Starter

More negatives are coming in. There can now be no doubt this is a massive fraud. Anyone have a adding machine, I'd love to know the dollar amount! (it'd be a pain adding on a calculator)
    Again, hope no one here got burned.

13. minizaka

minizaka Forum Resident

A friend and myself reported a few of the record auctions as frauds while they were live (with a few days remaining) - and it seems eBay did absolutely nothing about it.

ted321 likes this.
  14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have been dealing in Vintage Guitars for 30 years, now. There are a ton of scammers trying to sell guitars on eBay...very hard to get eBay to do much about it.

Back in the early days, I would buy every guitar listed on eBay as 'Electric Guitar For Sale' (sans pictures) that was under $85. I'd send the shipping materials and instructions for packaging.

90% were trash...but every once in a while you'd get a gem. A real gem. Way better odds than Vegas or the Lottery.

Simon A likes this.
  15. minizaka

minizaka Forum Resident

The negative feedback is now an official bloodbath.

16. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

The last 15 negatives - were all submitted by the exact same user. something's wrong.... I mean - as was pointed out earlier - all the 'photos' of the products are pictures from a CRT computer monitor as you can see the colour banding in most of them... Did 1 person really, really go any buy all of those albums from one person - with no item descriptions, or real photos?

I guess... but considering the price of some of the vinyl purchased - with again - no real description - can be bought brand new from Amazon, or also Ebay for 1/2 the price....

Like Nirvana Unplugged VG for $40? It's $22 brand new in M condition from Amazon...

And if you can use Ebay - I'm sure you use Amazon also to check prices....

Something weird about it... Even the PF Ummagumma can be had on Ebay in VG+ condition for $10.... and this guy paid $26....

There must be more but I'm not going to check them all right now. I will later I'm sure....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  17. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

So... a slew of positive feedback today.... but all from 1 buyer - and all on lower priced stuff that ended about 5 weeks ago....

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I wonder if the buyer is in on the scam somehow. It seems impossible to believe that a single person would want all those albums at not very good prices and with bad pictures.

19. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

^ I think you may be overestimating the capacity for rational behavior on the part of eBay buyers.

ted321 likes this.
  20. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

The weird thing about this - IS that the seller - let's just assume for now the seller is a scammer and planned this entire thing. Weird thing is that the scammer - never bothered apparently to message anyone after the sakes - to try and buy time. Say he/she has so many orders -
    Ha you're probably right. I think the reason is this site. After reading so much from people who are so detail oriented when it comes to music and purchases - the quality / condition / source etc I guess I'm just assuming anyone paying mad cash for records - especially big $ - must have the same level of scrutiny.... But....

ted321 and Reese like this.
  21. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

^ And doesn't it feel good to be HERE making these observations rather than THERE submitting negative feedback and PayPal claims?

ted321 and GMcGilli like this.
  22. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

So - the newest feedback suggests the seller has been responding to some people - claiming the items have been shipped. And another indicates they've had their money ($805) refunded by Ebay.

23. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any of the positive feedbacks are from sales prior to the fraud. He never responded to anyone he ripped off.

GMcGilli likes this.
  24. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Oh right - ok I see that now looking at all the dates on the auctions. Everything prior to Feb was positive - starting Feb it's all Neg... Thanks for that...

Just this one feedback from a Feb 11th sale:

Terrible. Worst type of fraud. Avoid. Took $$, never shipped (lied & said he did

25. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

That reminds me a couple of years ago, a seller was selling TV DVD box sets on Ebay. He had quite a few buyers that left
    positive feedback, so i ordered a George Carlin one from him. A few weeks went by and i didn't receive my
    box set, so i emailed him thru ebay and heard nothing. A week or two went by and then i filed a complaint with
    Paypal and ebay. Then i found out he had ripped off 40 other people after me and never responded to them either.
    Luckily, i and the other buyers got their money back and they shut his account down. Funny, he had positive feedback for almost a year when i purchased from him and then he went down the crapper. Either he was a scammer or the guy passed away !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.