Apple Corps should have let Peter Cobbin remix the Beatles catalogue. Agree or disagree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve been listening to the Yellow Submarine Songtrack and Mind Games by John Lennon. This is the Peter Cobbin remix. I’m impressed. What I like about his remixes is that the lead vocals are brought up and put up front. Other remixes tend to put the vocals and instruments up front so that there is no contrast in volume. Everything has the same volume or emphasis. Take Yellow Submarine from YSS. The vocals are up front and dominate the song. The drums are not dominant. I like this approach. Another remix I listened to had the drums and vocals dominating the song and I don’t enjoy this approach as much as you are not as focused on the vocals because the drums are just as prominent.

2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Disagree, but I’m in the ‘if you remix, go for it’-school. I think they should ask Steven Wilson for Abbey Road!

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Much as I do like the Sgt. Pepper remix by Giles, I prefer the Cobbin mixes of those songs on YSS. They are each of two totally different approaches; Cobbin stuck to the original aural integrity of the album while Giles opted to modernize it. While to be honest, I was expecting results more along the lines of Cobbin's mix, I think both are good for different reasons; it gets down to personal preference.

Bern and bherbert like this.
  4. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Agreed. I would be willing to bet he could do better surround mixes than Giles Martin.

bherbert likes this.
  5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Remixes of any album will be driven by sales potential, as they should. I'm surprised that we have not yet had - to my knowledge - any celebrity remixes by the likes of Bono, Sting, Bruce, Elvis C., or any of the ubiquitous music documentary artists.

smoke likes this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I didn't really like the remixes on Songtrack, but then I disliked even more the Giles Martin remix of Pepper, so....

7. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Certain songs would definitely benefit from going back to the pre-bounced multi track tapes for a better stereo soundscape. The highlight of this on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack is ‘Nowhere Man’ - night and day compared to the original 1965 stereo mix of Rubber Soul. ‘Penny Lane’ also benefits from this with the 2017 remix on the deluxe Sgt. Pepper. Oh, and ‘Eleanor Rigby’ of course (although apparently there are sync issues on the Songtrack release?)

DK Pete and PDK like this.
  8. slane

slane Forum Resident

Nowhere Man is just 4 tracks - no pre-bounces. And yes, Eleanor Rigby has the vocals slightly out of sync on YSS.

mpayan and Glenn Christense like this.
  9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Cobbin had his issues too but I infinitely prefer his results over the Giles team. Steven Wilson and Pink Floyd's team seem to be the only consistently truly competent remixers of classic albums these days for my ears.

mando_dan, Bern and boggs like this.
  10. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

None of these remixes have stood up to the test of repeated listening. I always reach for the originals. Once I was excited by the prospect of Beatles remixes. Today I just expect to be disappointed.

moheganer2, rnranimal, ynnek4 and 6 others like this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

The remixed Lennon CD's -- from what, fifteen years ago? -- are my favourite of any Beatles-related project. Totally transparent to the intent of the original, IMO. Love is great too, but the mash-up aspect puts that one in its own category.

12. bherbert

Thanks, I’ve only got Mind Games at the moment and I am waiting for POB and Imagine to arrive in the post. I ordered them off Discogs after reading the positive reviews on the forum :)

Bern and bhazen like this.
  13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I prefer not Giles

14. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

It's inevitable that decisions about who will remix Beatles albums will be made in part for marketing reasons and not purely for technical or artistic reasons.

And for better or worse, Giles has the magical (from a marketing POV) last name.

smoke, john lennonist and BeatlesBop like this.
  15. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Giles couldn't mix a Martini

Heckto35, CMcGeek, mpayan and 11 others like this.
  16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

For the average fan, who mixed what when is simply impossible.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Perhaps we haven't any of these celebrity remixes because they didn't have to rely on 'bounced' tapes.

18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well yes he could.
    But he would "bounce" the olives off a back corner wall to give the martini some ambiance. :)

CMcGeek, Klassik, notesfrom and 8 others like this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Cool, hope I haven't steered you wrong!

bherbert likes this.
  20. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Well, I would suggest that is irrelevant. Contemporary artists have lived with classic albums for decades, just as we have. Imagine if, for example, Elvis Costello remixed Revolver for a deluxe package, including a thoughtful, track-by-track analysis in which he described his mindset for approaching each track. It would probably be massive seller if it was promoted the right way. I'm not saying that the results would be "good" per se - I frankly would have no interest in it - but it would be a way of generating continued and interest and continued sales, which is, after all, what this is all about.

john lennonist likes this.
  21. bherbert

I like the fact that Cobbin places a lot of emphasis on the lead vocal. It’s the main focus. The singer is front and centre and the rhythm section is more in the background. I remember when I first got into The Beatles it wasn’t the drums, guitar or bass that grabbed my attention, it was Paul’s and John’s singing, the harmonies and the lyrics.

22. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I think you'll like both....Mind Games probably benefits the most.

I do like YSS....I have to believe Giles was steered in his approach to Pepper as he showed in Love he certainly had the capability. Pepper is aimed for today's market.

The 5.1 of YSS is excellent IMO.

Bern

bherbert likes this.
  23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

The remix of the Rock n Roll album is almost as revealing as the Mind Games remix. Both are absolutely essential.

rswitzer and applebonkerz like this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Giles/Cobbin a matter of one owns preference. They both have their own merits. I could live with Giles on Pepper 2017. I like the new Giles 2017 mix, at least Pepper 2017 gives the listener a more robust sounding pepper love it or hate it.

25. bherbert

Thanks, I’ll check that one out :)

ZippyPippy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.