Apple HomePod (Available December)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by segue, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

“Those familiar with woodworking may be well-aware that silicone doesn’t play nice with all wood finishes. Rubber can cause similar issues, sometimes leaving a black stain on wood surfaces. Not everyone has that knowledge, though, and even if you did, you might not make that connection to the HomePod until it’s too late. On Apple’s website, the product description and tech specifications for the HomePod don’t mention the word silicone. If you didn’t realize that the HomePod used it—or you weren’t aware that it could interact with certain wood finishes—there’s no reason why you would ever think to exercise caution in where you positioned the speaker.

Apple seems to know it fouled up. On Wednesday, it updated the HomePod support page to include more detail about “Where to place HomePod,” but it should add the information about silicone to the product description and packaging materials, too. ...

While it seems that only a small percentage of HomePod users have been affected, Apple’s reaction thus far seems akin to its nonapology for Antennagate. That’s not acceptable—and neither is this particular product issue.”

Maybe Apple Rushed the HomePod to Market Too Fast

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

3. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Fascinating

5. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Rolltide and Coltrane811 like this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

7. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I guess we have no choice but to conclude Sonos rushed their product to market too fast. :nyah: What a dumb conclusion, but yes, it was in the title of the article posted above.

Many people are claiming that oiled wood has similar issues when just about anything is placed on it. Coffee mugs, cups, etc.

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Could anyone try this. Take a mono file. Split it ti left and right. The flip the side of one of the sides and see how the results play through the home pod.

What i’m interested in is if it sums to mono.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m confused...if Apple already knew it was a common issue with the Sonos and other similar speakers, why didn’t they just use a different material?

10. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

No one was complaining when it was just Sonos. I also don't know that it will change the speaker material they use in the future. They will probably put a warning in the information that comes with the speaker and then have a legal argument when people stop using common sense.

I didn't get a warning with my coffee mugs not to set them on oiled wood, but I bet they have caused a lot of rings in their day.

"respect the wood"

11. jon9091

That really wasn’t my question. Apple’s response makes it seem like they knew all along, and that this was common knowledge because other smart speakers (who beat them to market by years) exhibited a similar behavior. So, why didn’t they just use something other than silicone? Or include a coaster? I mean... I certainly never knew this, and it wasn’t discussed in this thread before now, so it’s not a “common sense” thing. I would have put it right over on our 1960 mid mod Danish credenza, and my wife would have killed me.

It is not unusual for any speaker with a vibration-dampening silicone base to leave mild marks when placed on some wooden surfaces. The marks can be caused by oils diffusing between the silicone base and the table surface, and will often go away after several days when the speaker is removed from the wooden surface. If not, wiping the surface gently with a soft damp or dry cloth may remove the marks. If marks persist, clean the surface with the furniture manufacturer's recommended cleaning process. If you’re concerned about this, we recommend placing your HomePod on a different surface.

12. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I’m an Apple fan boy all the way, but I don’t get this product at all...

H8SLKC likes this.
  13. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Your question asked why Apple didn't just use a different material. They may have thought that people with oiled wood furniture would know not to sit something on it that is heavy and vibrates (which could scratch it if it was a different material) but I don't speak for Apple.

As a large company, if they knew about it, it would have made sense to include a warning in the box about it just for lawsuits. However, when you own wood furniture, you have a responsibility to know what can damage it. Like I said, you don't get warnings on coffee mugs or beer mugs that say to keep it away from wood, either. And companies that make mugs have to know what they can do to wood.

14. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

There is now a burgeoning market for 3rd party "HomePod coasters".

Brando4905 and Bubbamike like this.
  15. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

We had stained concrete done at our last house. Apparently putting down the no slip rubber rug mats that go under the rug will chemically bond with the stained concrete coating and make a mess. Just reminds me of that.

uofmtiger likes this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Virtually all A/V components will have this issue. All those “feet” under them typically have a similar silicone compound that will discolor certain wood finishes.

Brando4905 and uofmtiger like this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Send me a file with just a left or right test tone and I’ll test for you.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  18. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Haha, the market for mini butcher block isolation stands is open.

One of mine is on granite, the other on glass. No worries here, but I certainly would have thought twice about setting it on any wooden furniture that was cared for.

19. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Exactly....anyone who has ever used a Vibrapod knows better. Or like you say, most equipment has a spongy rubber/silicone damper under the feet nowadays.

20. If any one cares:Mac Rumors: Apple Mac iOS Rumors and News You Care About

At $216 for parts and a $349 selling point, the HomePod brings in less money for each device sold than other Apple products like the iPhone. The $999 iPhone X, for example, uses components estimated to cost $357.50, and the entry-level iPhone 8 costs Apple an estimated $247.51 to make but sells for $699.

HomePod also has a smaller profit margin than competing speaker products from other companies. TechInsights says that while the HomePod has a profit margin of 38 percent based on component costs, the Google Home and Amazon Echo have margins of 66 and 56 percent, respectively. Both of those speakers use less expensive components and were not created with sound quality as the primary focus.

Component costs reports from companies like TechInsights do not take into account expenses like research and development, software creation, and other related costs, and can't be counted as an accurate look at Apple's profit margin for any given product.

Back in 2015, Apple CEO Tim Cook said cost estimates are often "much different from reality." "I've never seen one that is anywhere close to being accurate," he said.

21. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I am not sure I believe that all Echos or Homes are making that kind of profit. The Dots are so cheap and often sold at a discount, so there were analysts claiming they were sold at a loss.

22. Yeah that is what I thought too. But if you pick them all up and touch them, the Home Pad does feel more substantial and better made by a long shot. Listened in an Apple Store. Impressive but not an ideal place to audition.

23. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I agree with the point that the HomePod feels better made. Echo Show/Spot may have that kind of profit built in, but my guess is that the Echo Dot is the huge seller in that ecosystem.

24. jon9091

I thought it only weighed 5 pounds? I thought Apple might think different...ly.
    Evidentially, that only happens when they need to come up with an excuse. “You’re holding it wrong”, comes to mind.
    You’re saying that, because it’s a speaker...people should know to use the same precaution that they use with liquid or a hot beverage? Riiiiight.
    I have had tons of gear over the years with rubberized feet. I’ve even added little rubber feet to many things so it wouldn’t slide around. None of it has ever left a mark on our furniture.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’m waiting on delivery of a review sample of the upcoming Beats™ Tabletop Doily.