Apple HomePod (Available December)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by segue, Aug 3, 2017.

1. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

After about 5 days with the HomePod, I can honestly say it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought. Sure, it was pretty pricey, but it sounds so good to me for being a “mono” speaker. I just played the 50th sgt peppers and it was such a good experience — if you’re limited with space or just want a great speakers with a small imprint on the room, I wouldn’t hesitate, especially if you have a large iTunes library you can stream from an AppleTV or subscribe to iTunes. It also looks phenomenal IMO.

wavethatflag, coffeetime and wgriel like this.
  2. James Bennett

Sorry I meant to say “Apple Music” not iTunes.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You guys should read the Stereophile review of the Apple HomePod in the August issue :)

James Bennett and dougotte like this.
  4. James Bennett

Do you happen to have a link, or is it just in the magazine?

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Looks like just in the print version, now.

[​IMG]

6. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I haven’t seen the Stereophile review, but What Hi Fi have a pretty impressive review on line:

Apple HomePod review

Granted, I find that some of their reviews baffle me and don’t line up with my experience at all, but this one does seem to be in line with some other consumer reviews I’ve seen. At the very least, it seems to me that Apple has done an incredible job with real time DSP, adjusting output for different room conditions in a way that no one else has managed thus far.

It seems to be quite an intriguing product, though it’s not one that I have a place for at the moment.

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I like mine OK, but I rarely use it for more than an egg timer in the kitchen. Though I will sometimes play music while cooking. I was hoping to use it like a Bluetooth speaker without internet access, but I haven’t found that easy to do.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Do you have an Apple Music subscription? Without one, the HomePod would be pretty underwhelming IME.

In related news, yesterday I got the Echo Show (<$99 with recent promo), and now it lives alongside the HomePod in my kitchen. At low volumes, it doesn't sound too bad. The "watch videos" feature is actually fairly impressive, my kids are especially fascinated :)

9. BayouTiger

Oh yeah. I have had AM from day one. It works fine in the house, I was just hoping to take it one the road without a wifi connection. I think it is supposed to be able to do so. I just haven't figured it out yet.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think that's kind of the intentional missing feature from all these type products (to include Sonos). Our vacations are not part of their vision it seems.

11. BayouTiger

Actually Peer to Peer Airplay is supposed to work over BT, just not a normal BT connection from non Apple stuff. I think I have just not experimented enough with it.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

From the way you're describing it, it seems like a hack/workaround? Maybe your implication is more you've just never gotten around to using it, it just seems any Apple > Apple connection of any kind would be automagical.

13. James Bennett

It depends on your iTunes archive — I don’t subscribe to Apple Music (tho I’m tempted), but stream my entire iTunes library to my AppleTV, which Airplay’s it to the HomePod. I friggin love it.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I just looked at this article:

How to stream music to anybody's HomePod | Cult of Mac

Based on the above, I do wonder if the HomePod needs wifi access to show up, while the iOS device doesn't actually need wifi to see it. I am curious, so I will have to look into it. I think most of these smart home products simply stop doing anything without wifi access.

15. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I read the Stereophile artice and it was a pretty positive review of the speaker. He did make one point:

"I guess I don't get the point of smart speakers. To me, it seems mostly parlor tricks—impressive in their way, but why bother? Without raising my voice, I can control my music just fine from my chair—just give me a laptop or iPad. I'd rather interact with my music system via a well-designed interface—Roon, for example—or by getting off my butt, putting on a record, wiping off the dust, and lowering the needle. "
    Read more at Apple HomePod smart speaker Page 3

It is hard to understand how he doesn't get the point, even if he has no need for interacting this way with music. While I also use the iPad or iPhone to control music quite a bit, it isn't nearly as convenient when I am making/having a meal. It is a hassle to have to pick up the phone when you are doing either thing. In other words, when you are busy doing other things...and I can think of many times that is the situation depending on the room..it is more convenient, quick, and often more fun than picking up a device and manually searching for specific music.

He did complain a bit about how it couldn't find some german title and foreign languages have been an issue with Siri since the beginning. I do hope they figure that out at some point, even though it doesn't really have much bearing on the stuff I listen to.

coffeetime likes this.
  16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I think he understands the point you are making but he does not accept it as germane to him. I say this because, I too, do not care to speak to any devices with the exception of the Nav/GPS in my car. Otherwise, it does seem a parlor trick, clumsy and unnecessary to me but it really depends on how you like to listen to music.

Rolltide likes this.
  17. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

If he understands the point, then he shouldn't say that he doesn't understand the point.

However, I do understand that he must always be critical listening or searching for something new rather than listening to albums/artists he already knows. I listen to music that way, but I also like music as background for stuff I am doing. I like bands like Earth, Wind and Fire, Eddie Palmieri, etc. playing while I am chopping veggies or doing other tasks. He obviously doesn't, but he shouldn't say he doesn't get it, if he does. Also, why waste the time getting my phone, launching the app, and searching for the album I want to hear if I can just say "Hey Siri, play Revolver in the Den" and have it playing on my main system in one second?

18. Kal Rubinson

He says ""I guess I don't get the point of smart speakers. To me, ......." Those last two words indicate, to me, that the comment is a personal one and not an academic one. Of course, since I agree, I find that interpretation obvious. ;-)

Rolltide likes this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Because talking to inanimate objects is creepy and weird to the Jim Austins, Rolltides, and Kal Rubinsons of the world. Are we outliers? Not sure, doesn't matter.

I could consider an argument that said Stereophile should have had somebody more enthusiastic about the concept review the product, but I'd sort of refer back to the threads accusing magazine reviews of being paid shills for manufacturers that avoid all criticism. I still read Art Dudley's review of CD players and DACs even when he universally begins them with "I prefer analog by a wide margin, but..."

uofmtiger likes this.
  20. Kal Rubinson

In my defense, it is not the weirdness of talking to inanimate objects, it is the inefficiency of it. My car has a limited vocabulary and I had to learn it, almost as a second language, in order to communicate effectively. If I was to use a Siri-like device, I would have to deal with its ignorance of foreign terms as well as my poor and, probably, inconsistent pronunciation of those words.

In addition, in asking for a piece of music, I would also have to specify the performance since my collection contains many alternative performances to the extent that I cannot easily conjure up all the options without a graphic interface. Can I ask Siri to list all the options I have? Sure, but that could be a long and, likely, poorly pronounced list. A click on my options from cover art and/or a menu list is optimum at this point.

21. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

With the popularity of these products, I don't think we can be considered outliers at this point.

I agree, it is like asking the guy that only rides horses to review the new Audi. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is an issue for a very small group of people. If I was writing a review, I would definitely make the point that the way I use files won't work well with these devices at this point, but I can understand that the vast majority of music fans fall into another category.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

But certainly you realize you're not the target audience? For example, if I say "Hey Siri, play Reputation", it immediately knows I'm referring to the Taylor Swift album of the same name, and starts playing instantly. Having songs (even obscure ones) immediately play within seconds of your brain thinking "I want to hear some early R.E.M." can be immensely satisfying and has few true competitors.

23. Kal Rubinson

Of course. However, I do wonder if the Stereophile readership is the target audience for this type of product.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well, I've been a Stereophile subscriber for 20+ years :) I hope that your readership is understands the market is evolving to lean on more sophisticated "lifestyle" type of equipment, that compliments, not replaces traditional hi-fi. And this is not just a boombox type of shift, this is more fundamental, and arguably the biggest technology shift in the history of home listening.

I have access to 30+ million songs, not only via HomePod, but also via "near lossless" optical 16/48 output from AppleTV that I connect to my main stereo. How you move between those two listening scenarios is the flexibility I enjoy, and something Tidal can’t offer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    James Bennett and uofmtiger like this.
  25. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Then they shouldn't even try to review it if their readers don't care. Heck, they put it on the cover for a reason. They should give it a fair review from a non-Luddite if they want to pick up more readers.

SamS likes this.