Apple patent could prevent people from filming, taking photos at concerts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Pitchfork: Apple Patents Technology That Could Prevent You From Filming, Taking Photos at Concerts

The patent specifically includes a drawing of a band onstage and a phone screen showing the text “RECORDING DISABLED”

Apple Patents Technology That Could Prevent You From Filming, Taking Photos at Concerts | Pitchfork »

In 2009, Apple applied for a patent on a sophisticated new camera technology using infrared signals. When the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office published the application in 2011, reports focused on how the technology could, among other things, block people from taking photos and filming concerts. Yesterday, Apple won approval for the patent, as 9to5Mac and Patently Apple were first to note.

According to the patent, the technology allows a camera to detect not just visible light, but also infrared data. In some cases, the device could use the infrared data to show a user information related to a nearby object, such as an exhibit in a museum. In other cases, the device could use the infrared data to disable the device’s recording functions. As an example, the patent includes an illustration of a band performing onstage as a camera screen shows the text “RECORDING DISABLED.” (See it below.)

As The New York Times reported back in 2011, “The recording industry could easily use this technology to disable a camera during a music concert by blasting an infrared signal from the stage and in turn disabling an iPhone from recording the concert for purposes of sharing it online, violating copyright laws.”

[​IMG]

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Great news for makers of Android phones

3. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Good news for anyone sick of looking at the back of the phone of the guy/girl in front of you at concerts.

impalaboy, Peter_R, Kkfan and 67 others like this.
  4. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Great. The next step will be to emit that infrared beam everywhere.

PC31, Mr Sam, TheVU and 7 others like this.
  5. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I want a phone that stuns the people taking photos, filming, or yakking at concerts....

klockwerk, olson, dobyblue and 27 others like this.
  6. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Yet another reason to start going back to taking photos with, oh I don't know, a CAMERA?!?!?!?

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps it's time to invest in infrared lights.... ;)

John B Good, klockwerk and CrazyCatz like this.
  8. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Isn't it illegal to record? It is hurting the music industry.

Kkfan likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Next step will be laws requiring all phones and other cameras to contain the technology.

Good time to stock up on Polaroid film (since pretty much nobody develops the non instant kind of film for consumers anymore).

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

I took this one in Dayton on Tuesday

11. Remurmur

Well...but I like you...;)

12. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

This was big news years ago when the story broke. But let's look at the bright side ...One of the unintended benefits of the technology is that everyone will go home with a nice tan, the result of being "baked" by wide-array infrared emissions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Media consultant Elliot Mintz, after attending a brief "Test concert" introducing Apple's new infrared phone-blocking device in 2011, Los Angeles.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  13. Remurmur

So I gotta know...how wuz he ?

14. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

I just applied for a patent to cover the iphone's camera lens with an IR (blocking) filter. Apple, your move.

15. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Have you tried to take a camera into a concert lately...? Even the slightest attended club shows have prevented me from taking my Nikon in...

Paulwalrus, DrBeatle and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

:righton: I agree with your point, rude and inconsiderate behavior is upsetting. There is a way to take a picture and talk to someone at a concert that is appropriate. It needs to be brief, not disruptive and reasonable.

Dylan pushes it too hard the other way. It would have been less distracting to let people take picture than it was to have ten staff people run to yell and threaten people each time they saw a phone. It was really obnoxious.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

he didn't sing very many songs that he wrote. I shared more details over at the usual spot.

Remurmur likes this.
  18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

When it comes to Android phones, Google would have to pay each manufacturer to come up with their own technology or the manufacturers would have pay Apple the license to use their technology.

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This is kind of intrusive, no? I mean, I understand how annoying it is to see people spend more time watching the concert through their phone than what's actually in front of them, but I also like to take pics of the shows I go to, during them, just to chronicle to moment. I certainly don't keep my phone out the whole time, maybe only take ~10-25 pics during a 2 hour show.

20. Does nice development work consumer or pro, even large format:
    Newtown Camera, Inc. »

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes it is and that's why they came up with this technology.

Kkfan and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

so the 30 second shaky cell phone video is hurting the industry but being able to listen to an artists entire catalog for free on the internet is not?

23. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I saw on the news that this technology would also prevent people from recording police. I think cops are inclined to act more professional if they know they might be recorded.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Reminds me of when I was in Florence and The David was on display. They would not allow pictures, nor talking above a whisper (something about vibrations). I stood back and watched this one young fella snap a pic then jump behind a column. Hed wait a few seconds then go forward, snap a pic and jump behind a column. It was amussing. He was like the Mission Impossible guy when it came to covert disposable camera work.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It isn't hurting the music industry at all. Cellphone cameras and microphones are not really able to compete with professional equipment, and I don't think anyone ever watches a youtube clip and says, "Well, I've seen the whole show, so no need to actually buy a ticket!"

It is, however obnoxious to anyone who doesn't want to look at a bunch of camera screens while enjoying the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.