Apple patent could prevent people from filming, taking photos at concerts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I cant think of one single instance that I would watch a phone filmed concert and then not buy a live film professionaly done. Nor did I once think in my concert going years: "Eh, Ill just see him on youtube. No need to go to a concert when I can watch shakey film footage with some lady and her friends talking about their hotdogs they just purchased at the concert for the whole entire show"

If Dylan let loose a video of the best of his 2000 era, does he really think his fans wouldnt be all over it?

2. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I doubt that Apple would program that function in since they went to such lengths to deny the FBI an unlock for an encrypted iPhone recently, but if they did do that, I would switch to Android or even Windows Phone immediately. We have a right to film the police and these days it seems vital that we do so for our own safety.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

By the time this gets implemented the rock apocalypse will have happened.

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Doubly ironic since MANY people in the last 15 years have said that Apple and iTunes was what started the whole decline and the shift from albums to cherry-picking songs.

Lost In The Flood and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Exactly. People who love music are gonna go see shows and buy music regardless of whether they watch/listen to clips on YouTube or not.

Paulwalrus and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

Apple altruistic?

The reason Apple did not cooperate with the FBI is because it would've hurt iphone sales.

Tim Cook, 3rd from left:

[​IMG]

Paulwalrus and starduster like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apple would not have to program anything in. The police could purchase the same kind of infrared signaling device that concert venues buy. They aren't going to be able to refuse to sell police something they sell to others. The only curb on police using this would come if government prohibited police from doing so (yeah, that's gonna happen).

Taxman likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

From a legal stand point I think there needs to be some sort of warrant or court order that allows someone to disable my personal property. Talking also sucks but does that mean they can shoot me with a beam to disable my vocal chords.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If it takes 6 months to hit the market then, based on current trends, every musician worth taking a cell phone video of will have passed away.

mpayan and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They clearly have the right to do this (to your camera, not your vocal cords) to allow you admittance to private property. They can pat you down including sensitive areas of your body, which is far more intrusive and poses more of a legal issue.

They could also refuse to let you in at all with a cell phone if they chose to. And you would have "chosen" to purchase a phone that could be disabled in this manner.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Paulwalrus and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm not sure I see Apple's motivation for adding this feature to their phones. It's obviously not a feature customers are demanding. Quite the contrary. It can only serve to annoy people when they learn their camera has been disabled, and perhaps inspire them to give Android phones a second look.

Does Apple get a new revenue stream from concert venues and/or promotors who adopt this technology? And if so, can it possibly be enough to justify the consumer outcry that will surely result?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There already is: Rules & Regulations for Title 47 »

"(b) Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental radiator is subject to the conditions ... that interference must be accepted that may be caused by the operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) equipment, or by an incidental radiator."

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apple strategy: Lobby along with music film and theater industries for a law requiring all phones and cameras to have this. Apple will have a monopoly on the technology for the length of their patent and all other phone makers will have to license it from them for any price they choose to sell it for. And finally Apple will be competitive on price with Android phones.

Paulwalrus and Zach Johnson like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Does that apply to infrared? And what do you understand this to mean?

15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

It'll be buried somewhere in the user agreement that none of us ever read.

jhm and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer and Taxman like this.
  17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If I were true to my principles I would come down against this kind of thing.

But I just can't. People on cell phones are a plague.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This means that any cell phone that is FCC certified is required to accept intentional interference from licensed FCC intentional emitters.

This intentional emission is already used today. I recently experienced it at a hospital.

The Apple patent revolves around "how your phone responds" to such interference, they're not the ones blasting out the intentionally interfering signal.

Rfreeman likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I understand Neil Young has prototype infrared headgear that he will be wearing at his concerts. He can shoot a beam right at your iphone 6 and it will explode right in the middle of "Powderfinger".

20. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I'd be happy if they banned cell phones from concerts completely. I'm so sick of seeing 5,000 lighted screens between me and the performer. Look at the BAND! Listen to the MUSIC. Be in the MOMENT.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I find people not sitting down in front of me for 2 hours more aggravating than someone capturing footage of the gig on their phone.

22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Did you prefer Bic lighters?... :):)

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, let's get a laser beam that makes people sit down!

Paulwalrus, Zeki and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Sounds like a digital vs. analog debate

25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yeah? Well the Bics were warmer... literally :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.