Apple patent could prevent people from filming, taking photos at concerts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It would at least make concert tickets a lot cheaper and easier to get.

2. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The concept is one thing but I can't imagine the FCC would allow this in practice.

3. Im all for camera free concerts.

duneman likes this.
  4. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

My son and I bring audio and video equipment in all the time. Just gotta know how to conceal.......

drasil, Texastoyz and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'll be sure and have the last version of the iPhone to use specifically for pictures/recording at concerts.

6. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

What's to stop anyone from beaming the disruptive IR signal at iPhones wherever they want to? You could wear a hat that beams it in all directions to prevent anyone with an iPhone from filming you. Or anyone in your vicinity.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

8. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

When did I say Apple was altruistic? Of course they're thinking of the bottom line. If it seems this IR application will lose them sales, they won't use it. They apply for patents on all sorts of things, many of which don't get used.

I see what you're saying. I agree then that would be a bad idea and I would switch to a phone manufacturer that doesn't include this technology.

All that's missing is the tinfoil hat! ;)

Kermit27 likes this.
  9. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Yes. Especially when they were used to light up some ... erm ... you know. ;)

10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Birthday candles? ;)

ARK and Sternodox like this.
  11. mfp

mfp Senior Member

On one hand, I don't like people filming when I'm at a concert... on the other, I like to watch a youtube vid of a concert.

Paulwalrus and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Just take care to avoid OS updates that may add some "features" you may not want... ;)

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Wicked ridiculous!

14. frog12

frog12 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

15. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I too am sick and tired of phones at concerts. A few photos is one thing but some people whip the things out as soon as the artist arrives on stage and some just record the whole freaking thing. Then there are those that text and facebook throughout. Its distracting as hell and not what we pay for. And concerts ain't cheap these days!

OTOH this technology has the capability to be abused by other entities, like as previously mentioned; the police, or any entity that doesn't want anything in the vicinity being recorded, even terrorists could use it to prevent recording of their evil deeds, of course they want max exposure so that might be a bad example. If the Mitt Romney campaign had this tech we may never have been able to hear his comments on the 47% and the 2012 election may have gone the other way.

The genie is out of the box and the only way to suppress bad behavior is to politely say something. People will respond to peer pressure if we all participate. Something along the lines of "would you be so kind as to refrain from using your phone during the show? People around you are being prevented from fully enjoying what they have paid to see." Maybe even use a British accent. Who knows, it might work. :cool:

tremspeed and Texastoyz like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A) There will be hacks/workarounds and if all else fails, good old fashioned digital cameras that can take good pics and don't have the technology installed.

B) Phone manufacturers aren't going to voluntarily install this technology. Playback manufacturers didn't embrace DRM. They grudgingly supported DRM because all the content providers forced it on them: No DRM support, no music. What's the carrot/stick situation here? What impetus do the phone manufacturers have to actually implement the IR processing functionality?

C) Apple will not install this technology in a user-negative way on its own. That would be a ridiculous business decision that would push users to other platforms. It will only get implemented and activated if all platforms support it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  17. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

No, you ave it all wrong. HOME TAPING is killing the music industry, it has been since the 1970s. I'm surprised that there are any artists left!

18. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Or be 6 foot 6, covered with tattoos, and have the innate ability to foster an aura of menace with an appropriate glare.

Stormrider77, duneman and DrBeatle like this.
  19. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Intellectual property must be protected - that's why you need to buy your music.

20. We can all think happy thoughts, and assume that Apple patented this to keep other companies from doing evil things with it.

Kinda like how the other Apple buys up things so other people won't make them public.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

When in doubt, use Android. If that message came up on my phone for whatever deliberate reason. I would bin it and get one that didn't do that.

22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Just people having a bit of fun.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Paulwalrus likes this.
  23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't think Apple is concerned about losing the terrorist demographic: it's not large enough to make much of a dent in their profits. The problem in that case was more that once the precedent was accepted they would have had to provide any & all phone data in response to court orders, which would have opened themselves up to enormous actions from owners. The FBI brought a 'hard case' because they knew that Apple would look completely reckless defending it.

24. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

Do performers have the legal backing to tell anyone they aren't allowed to record them?

25. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

No big deal, I'll use a normal 1080 camera. Maybe it'll be a bit older, but hey...Maybe I'll go buy a 8mm camera like some of you geezers used in the 70's.
    Most everyone is thankful that such footage exists.

GerryO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.