Apple’s new music streaming service (Apple Music) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

CultofMac has an article on what to do if your library gets messed up. I believe you should be able to just make a copy of the current iTunes itl file before the install and then follow their process afterward to restore the copy if your library gets messed up.

Disclaimer: I am not guaranteeing anything will work.

2. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Thanks for the info
    What I'm trying to ask is when you download iTunes 12.2 ==
    How do you say NO to the cloud and does this mean you library will be OK now

Thanks

3. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Simply don't enable iCloud Music Library. I believe it will ask you at some point in the installation process if you wish to enable iCloud Music Library, so be sure to say no, don't mess with my library. That's what I did and I've had no problems.

4. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Thank You == After I do the update to 12.2 will my iPhone be safe also when synching music
    Thanks to ALL I'm paranoid of the whole thing

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Even if you don't enable iCloud Music Library, the primary issue people seem to be having is the loss of artwork on the phone. The only way I've seen to fix this is to remove all of the music from the phone and re-sync it.

6. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Thanks Again and Again
    To fix the iPhone after 12.2 is on your PC is to delete the iPhone music album by album on the phone itself and then re-sync it
    Is this correct

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct. Worked for me.

8. DreadPikathulhu

No. That would take forever to remove the music.

On the phone, go to Setting-->General-->Usage-->Manage Storage-->Music-->Edit and select the "Delete" icon to the left of "All Songs".

The next time you sync it will reload everything.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Thanks ==
    My first hurdle will be to install 12.2 and make sure I don't opt for the cloud.
    If my library is OK I should update my iPhone to the latest software and delete the music per the above.
    Then re-sync the music and everything will be as it was .

Should I just NOT update to 12.2 what about the iPhone it keeps saying update available
    Thanks

10. DreadPikathulhu

I've grown used to the new Music player on my iPhone, though I really don't like:

1) Album times are no longer displayed
    2) The "now playing" bar near the bottom of the screen is just terrible, especially in the car
    3) I want the ability to choose what icons are displayed on the bar at the bottom. I only really use "My Music" and probably won't renew Apple Music since 75% of the recommendations it's giving me are items I already have.

11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

2. Why don't you just expand it so that is shows more information? That makes the skip icons easier to hit.
    3. My music is the section that has your music. The for you should have recommendations, but if you are only listening to stuff you own, that may affect the music it feeds you in that section. I used it quite a bit over the weekend and I only get something I own every 8-10 albums or so. They do recommend music based on the artists I like, but they are playlists with a lot of other stuff blended in.

12. DreadPikathulhu

Because it defaults to the narrow band.

13. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I like Apple Music on iOS a LOT more than in iTunes. You'd expect the desktop app to have a page dedicated to the currently-playing music, but it's instead buried in the little window at the top of iTunes. Apple Music in iTunes is really unengaging. It doesn't invite you to explore. If I'm playing a radio station based on a band I like, then when I hear a song by some new-to-me artist, I should be able to click/right-click on the name or song and go to that artist or the album. But it doesn't. I can go to iTunes from there, but I'm using Apple Music. I don't want to go to the store. I want to see more of this artist's music that is available to me to listen to. If there was a "now playing" page, then we'd see information about that artist, their music, etc. The iTunes version of Apple Music seems like a rushed product. I really hope September's Apple event brings a brand new iTunes that is built around Apple Music rather than the other way around.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  14. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

The default makes sense. It will show you what is playing while you navigate around and find new selections. It is one press of a button to bring it up, so I don't really see it as even a minor issue. I would argue more about having to hit the "open music" button in Siri after asking it to play something since I would mainly use Siri while driving and it would be preferable to just have the app pop up on the screen.

15. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I haven't had to open music yet after requesting music playback from Siri it just opens for me.

16. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Strange, I have to click to open it on both the iPad and iPhone. Maybe there is a setting that I am missing. (Note: the song automatically plays, I get a message that says "xx by yy is now playing..." Under that message it has an "Open Music" button. Nothing else happens until I hit that button or exit out of Siri.). If someone knows the setting to automatically open the app, please let me know.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  17. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Was checking out Neil Diamond's latest hits compilation on Apple Music. Title is All-Time Greatest Hits. There are 2 releases. The standard single disc and the deluxe 2 disc. I played Holly Holy (single version) on the Deluxe release and it is a live version. On the standard release its the proper version. These kind of things make me wonder how many other mistakes are scattered throughout Apple Music.

Panama Jack likes this.
  18. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That is one of my biggest problems with relying on streaming services. You never know what "version" of a song you are going to get, could be any mastering, sometimes as you found a live instead of studio track, etc. And next week it could be different (or not available, depending on artist contracts, etc.). Just doesn't match my priorities where I often have several masterings/mixes of songs by an artist and care which one I get when I hit play.

Panama Jack and Rick H. like this.
  19. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I agree it is a downside not knowing the master. Apple Music should at least have the information if it was "mastered for iTunes".

That being said, a lot of people seems to think that once you sign up for streaming you are never allowed to buy another album. However, if anything, for many collectors, being able to review deep catalogs of music before you buy would probably help in their buying decisions. I realize it wouldn't be much help with the Neil Diamond album above, but I don't think that type of issue is very common, at least with Rdio, which I have been using over the last 8 months or so.

Mij Retrac and Rick H. like this.
  20. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I also checked out which version of Holly Holy was on iTunes. The proper version is there if you purchase.

uofmtiger likes this.
  21. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Interesting, for some reason, I thought they were just streaming the stuff they have a license to stream from the same source as the store. Obviously not the case.

22. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Now I see that dumping my Cd's for iTunes library was a huge mistake.
    I will start buying at least 30 Cd's so that I'm guaranteed I have the music and no one
    can take it from me again. iTunes is trying to steal my music library == Well it's my fault
    I taught it was a safe haven for a digital library and didn't need Cd's anymore.
    Anyone know how to store and play a digital library.

23. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Offline.

If you must stream your library, it's probably best to set up your own media server.

24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I am surprised how many people we have even in this forum that rely on streaming as a way to listen to their music. I would have assumed most people here would be using it as a testing ground for new to you music like I do or as a background music player. That is all I use it as, if I really like the music I am gonna buy it. Not only are you assured of the best mastering all the time but the artist is being better compensated for the music you are enjoying.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not really surprised how many people use streaming to listen to music. I am surprised though by how many people are willing to get rid of music collections entirely and just stream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.