Appreciating Burt Reynolds :)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by VCS2600, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved it!...

Striptease...on DVD.:)

Attached Files:

2. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

W.W. and the Dixie Dance Kings

3. Not really. He had his arm draped over his junk. Never understood what the fuss was all about.

4. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Also White Lightning is not in Widescreen on DVD.

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

A couple of TV roles I've not seen mentioned...

Dan August

His role in the original Twilight Zone, the episode "The Bard" (1963)

6. floyd

floyd Senior Member

He was the best thing about "Striptease"... well also seeing Demi Moore dancing around was quite nice. :)

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and lest not forget the TV Show Riverboat...

Attached Files:

8. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

How about Still Smoking, in which he co-starred with Dolly Parton!

...wait...

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

No, he played blacksmith Quint Asper. I used to watch it with my grandfather as it was his favorite show.

10. CCRider

CCRider Forum Resident

Funny thing that, in this series, Chubby's son is played by Norm McDonald, who played Reynolds on SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy. :)

11. 'nuff said :righton:

12. buddahbelly

buddahbelly Member

Ahhhhhhhhh.........Welcome Meester Burt and Meester Dolly :righton::righton::righton:

13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Oh that's brutal--and Burt's career took a dive shortly afterward.

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I've never seen Smokey and the Bandit II. Did she dress any better in that one (compared to Smokey and the Bandit) ?

15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

After reading this thread I rented Smokey and the Bandit - a movie I absolutely loved as a teen. I loved it again! Its so obviously a low budget pasted together Burt Reynolds / car / guy movie but it works. Maybe this movie explains why Armageddon (the Bruce Willis movie) is one of my favourites. Apparently plot is not my strong suit in movies. :)

I'm also a fan of his work in The Longest Yard, Deliverance, Hooper, Semi-Tough his performance in Boogie Nights plus Evening Shade. I didn't realise how big a Reynolds fan I actually am! I just don't want to see him interviewed - ever. Can't stand listening to him smugly go on and on. Too much Burt, too much.

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The man has had an amazing career and in his days with Dinah Shore mingled with many of the legends of Hollywood. It's one thing to have had an amazing career, it's another to remind everyone any chance you get while at the same time being bitter about the way things have turned out.

I'm definitely a fan, but I try and separate the screen persona from the private person. For all of his charisma, charm and talent in front of (and behind) the camera, there's a reason his career took a downward trajectory- he made a lot of enemies on his way up (reminds me of the Little Feat/Allan Touissant tune "On Your Way Down").

17. zebop

Yep, a bit better. She's was/is a cute as a button anyway.

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sally Field gives me a boniva.

19. zebop

Heh heh, me too.

20. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Deliverance aside, I really started to believe in Burt Reynolds' talent after I saw Alan Pakula's Starting Over, which I didn't actually like all that much as a movie... I watched it because James L. Brooks wrote it. But Reynolds is really superb in it, and it's worth watching just for his contribution.

21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

This could easily turn into a Sally Field thread - I don't recall how she was in Smokey ll but I thought she was hot in Hooper. She and Burt had great chemistry in that film. I can still remember the beginning scenes where she is sat in his lap. yum...

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I liked that one with Art Carnie. Dixie something or other....

23. zebop

Ha, I just watched that, very nice. Don't know what Burt was thinking--and I don't think he does either.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

He has said that losing Sally Field was the biggest mistake of his life.....

25. zebop

Definitely especially given the "winners" he ended up with years afterward. Sally seemed to inform his acting and his career during their time together as well, a big mistake on many levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.