Aqualung LP info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ashe, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashe

ashe New Member Thread Starter

I've got two copies of Jethro Tull's Aqualung. One on Reprise and one on Crysalis. Which was the album originally released on. Allmusic says Reprise in 1971 but they aren't always right. And if that is the case, how can I identify the pressing?

Thanks
    Francis

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

If they are American it would be the Reprise which will also likely sound better.

3. ashe

How would I identify if the Chrysalis release was not a US pressing? It doesn't say Made in the USA or anything like that. Label says

Produced by Ian Anderson and Terry Ellis
    for Chrysalis Records Limited, England
    A Chrysalis Production

Not that it matters much. The Chrysalis is in poor condition while the Reprise is a solid VG+.

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

US version has a blue label with a New York address on it.

5. ashe

This ones green so I guess it's a UK. I saw someone else mention that the UKs had green labels. Was just curious

Thanks for the info

6. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Original UK releases of Aqualung were done on the Island label. The Chrysalis green label you have is the reissue. Scott is correct in saying Reprise is the original US label. US reissues of Aqualung were also on the Chrysalis green label. The Chrysalis blue butterfly label is a US second generation reissue.

Your best bet is with the Reprise.

Take care.

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I have original pressings of Aqualung, both US and UK. The US LP I have is a white label promo Reprise Steamboat (two color art work but w/out 7arts) with "Produced by Ian Anderson and Terry Ellis for Chrysalis Records Ltd. London, a Chrysalis Production" on the label. The UK LP I have is a first pressing with the textured cover. This UK LP is ILPS 9145 with "Island records" on the edge and a green Chrysalis label. There is no "Produced by....for Chrysalis" on this LP, just the text "All songs published by Ian Anderson Music/Chrysalis Music". Benefit (Island 9123) was also first released on the green Chrysalis label in the UK.

So this makes me believe the original UK Aqualung LP release had a green Chrysalis label but was manufactured and distributed by Island. The earliest Tull UK LPs, This Was and Stand Up, were originally released on Island pink labels. I purchased all these albums in a Tull collection several years ago.

8. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Randy,

Original UK Aqualung releases were issued on the Island "palm tree" label. If it's green, then it's Chrysalis and is a reissue.

Original UK Benefit releases were also issued on the Island "palm tree" label. Once again, if it's green, it's a Chrysalis reissue.

You are correct, This Was and Stand Up were released on the Island "pink" label. But there were 3 designs of the pink label between 1967 - 70 and This Was and Stand Up were released on all three. Stand Up was also released on the "palm tree" label. This Was was originally released in mono and remixed for stereo. When getting original UK 1st pressings of these you need to know your Island labels. Argggh.

http://www.collecting-tull.com/Island/IslandLPs.htm

Bottom line, Island releases never used green labels.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, just want to "clear the air" so to speak.

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thanks for the website link! Sounds good to me.

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The number in the dead space of the vinyl should read ILPS 9145 A1-U for side one (or something similar) and B1-U for side 2 if it's a UK pressing. I didn't realise Aqualung came with an Island label originally.
    The album came with a cover that had a parchment like texture, and an inner sleeve with lyrics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.