Aquarius - new David Duchovny series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Fed who is into kinky things in California. I guess the itch was X-Files meets Californacation.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

or..... "Kalifornia", maybe...
    The bigger question is, how's the 'soundtrack'?
    Do you think they got any right to the 'sounds of the era'?

4. Maybe Manson's solo record ? Doors music in the commercial

5. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I noticed in my newspapers television section that the first or second episode is called Everybody's Been Burned. So I expect to hear some Byrds tonight. I hope.:righton:P.S. I do not watch much television. I am looking forward to watching this series. They are going to be releasing the entire season after the first episode I hear.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sorry, that sentence should read;
    Do they have the 'rights' to the 'sounds of the era'?

7. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

this is pretty awful - based upon my own experiences traveling around/camping with fellow weirdos ( though not to the extent of a cult or anything...hehe) - everybody is way too attractive/well dressed/clean - it looks like a hipster party from the last 10 years as opposed to *anything* from the 60s - they way they talk is very current - they are listening to top 40 music from the era (or at least that is the soundtrack to the show - I suppose the viewers have to be able to relate - but - highly doubtful! - weirdos tend to listen to more interesting/niche stuff... )- Manson isn't spooky enough - and his random speeches are way too boring/pedestrian - not weird enough(!)- it sounds like cliched pick-up lines - I was really hoping they would get into the whole Terry Melcher/Dennis Wilson part of the story - maybe it will..but I doubt it now.....

8. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Really bad show. Good music though.

sparkydog likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Not great, watched most of the firast hour. May watch the rest, I WANT to believe in it.

Oddly, overnight the entire seires appeared "On Demand."

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not getting good reviews and it doesn't sound interesting so I'm out.

11. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I agree with Pete Sorgi.

I Tried to watch a little bit of it. From having a long-time interest in this bit of history, I felt like they probably sanitized the whole "Manson Family" setting. Most accounts record this group and their settings as being filthy and disease laden. Basically, they lived in nasty conditions with a lot of sex, drugs, and STDs.

I've never seen anyone who portrayed Manson as well as Steve Railsback did in the original HELTER SKELTER movie.

jupiter8 likes this.
  12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Poor casting for the "Manson" character .
    that actor is not right for the part

13. Lonson

It's network TV. I don't expect accurate portrayals and boy this doesn't trump my expectations. As noted above, clean and spiffy clothes, persons and surroundings instead of what was actually portrayed. Adjust your expectations and it's vaguely entertaining and in a way it's interesting to see what the network feels safe to write and film about these times and matters. I'll probably watch a few more episodes on Demand before they disappear (it's possible) and if they don't disappear may finish up the season. I do like watching Duchovny in action, he's an interesting bloke.

14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

They are experimenting with this series, offering the entire series On Demand and also available for streaming. People that only watch broadcast TV can watch it week by week, people like myself that stream everything can binge watch it in a couple days.

15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

You nailed it. It's a really half-assed effort if you're old enough to remember the late '60s. I guess Duchovny refused to let them give him a proper flat-top...

But the story line and some of the performances are mildly amusing, it's just entertaining enough to keep me watching if there's nothing better to do.

16. Lonson

Thanks S. I'm a binger too.

misterdecibel, yes, just barely amusing and interesting enough to keep going forward. Weird subject matter and weird way of handling it. That is the biggest amusement I find with it so far.

17. misterdecibel

Not a big point in the overall scheme of things, but I'm enough of a nerd to let it bother me - when Hodiak was manhandling the snitch's guitar and he said "don't touch that, it's a Martin!", it wasn't a Martin it was a Taylor, and they didn't even make Taylor guitars in the '60s. Yet Manson and Hodiak both did have Martin guitars. The props guys for this show certainly don't have the "Mad Men" eye for the period.

Johnny66 likes this.
  18. misterdecibel

BTW, it's the same actor who played Renly Baratheon on "Game Of Thrones".

Scope J likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Except, from what I've read, they've botched it because the episodes are self-contained, plot-of-the-week type affairs, which makes binge watching less relevant than a continuing narrative would be.

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

:laugh: That's funny.

21. Lonson

So far they don't seem to be wholy "self-contained-plot-of-the-week" episodes, there's strong continuity.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Is it the sort of loose continuity which kicks in 3 minutes from the end of each self-contained episode, or the kind that you''d be lost if you missed an episode or two?

23. Lonson

I don't know if you'd be lost if you miss an episode or two, especially since they load up the "previously on. . . " segment pretty thick, but it's not just loose continuity tacked onto the end, "monster of the week" style. There are separate murder cases to investiagate that may or may not be related, but there's a continuous arc of Manson and several other characters that gets quite a few minutes each episode, throughout the episode, so far (I've watcheed four).

24. misterdecibel

It's 1967 and Det. Sam Hodiak has a pair of Bose 901s, a year before they went into production. And they're turned backwards.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I tried to watch it whats with most the guys with simi short hart cuts and beards?
    I couldn't tell who was Manson, and who the undercover cop.
    The whole thing is so out of place the music was that John Fogerty, singing?
    Who ever did the casting has half a brain?
    The actor who is playing :Mason: is severely miscast
    He boring and he looks nothing like Manson.
    I watched Helter Skelter, 2004 movie Staring Jeremy Davis.
    He was Manson, what a great performance, he really pulled it off.
    The creator of this series does not have clue! how Manson was.
    I seen enough of him on the news and documentaries .
    Cold and boring is not it Manson.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    rufus t firefly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.