Aquarius - new David Duchovny series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

MANSON...not Mason.

Coricama likes this.
  2. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Well I just got done binge-watching the first season, and I have to say the series held my interest even though there clearly was a lot of factual inaccuracy. I think if you can put whatever advance knowledge you have of Charles Manson and the surrounding era on hold and just sort of accept it as a police procedural, then overall it works pretty well.

For me, the series didn't really start to click until about the third episode where I found it started to come together to become more enjoyable. There's a decent amount of suspense-- even though we're all aware of the eventual outcome re: Manson, the story is really more about Hodiak and everything he has to endure.

Also, props to whoever was in charge of the soundtrack: I never thought I'd live to hear a song by the obscuro 60s cult band the Human Expression (let alone two songs!) on a network TV show.

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is a really odd series. It's quite explicit for a network show, including muted out cursing, and some of the cuts are jarring, like you expect a commercial break and they keep on going. Plus, for a movie supposedly featuring David Duchovny, he's not in it that much. But when he is on screen he's very subdued (kind of like Kevin Bacon's acting in the Following). Makes me wonder if this wasn't originally meant for a basic cable platform like USA or FX and they wisely passed.

4. I wanted to keep watching it. Starting out with a Byrds song excited me. Got through an hour or so them shut it off. I'm done

Can't wait for Hannibal next week. One of the best shows on television

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------------
    I started watching and the pace to the show is so slow I doubt it will last.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I never knew Charlie was so tough!

7. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

General Electric Presents...The Sixties!

Yippie?

PlushFieldHarpy and vince like this.
  8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Gave up half way through. Inauthentic and not compelling enough.

9. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

oh haha :laugh: so I'm watching this online, and that Sunset Strip curfew thing in ep 1 reminds me of the Monkees Daily Nightly, and seeing the interview with them at the end of one of their shows about it back then.

fiction.... interesting enough for me to continue watching anyway.. story on how Manson got his Family together I guess and the hold he had.

10. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

You mean the the curfew riot the show has occurring in late 1967 that Steven Stills recorded a song about on December 5, 1966? ;)

Lightworker and bluejeanbaby like this.
  11. shokhead

12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I have kept watching and have become more of a fan of it. Will continue, but it sure is almost like The Following. Manson was sure a creepy dude.

I am watching it off HuluPlus, so I'm sure I'm not being counted, not that it really matters.

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I ended up binge-watching it too, I found it flawed but "just interesting enough". I was sort of surprised that they left major plot lines dangling at the end, for some reason I was expecting this to be a self-contained story arc (like "Gracepoint"), but I guess they've planned a second series for next summer?

Mechanical Man likes this.
  14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

BTW, if you watch it on NBC's site, there's a single red pixel right in the center of the screen that never goes away. At first I thought my monitor had a bad pixel, but it turned to a single black pixel when they cut for commercials, and I could cover the red dot with my cursor arrow. In dark scenes, the red dot can be distracting.

15. Everyone is being counted wherever they watch.

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------------
    That darn NSA again. lol George Orwell was right.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Yes, the plan at least is for more seasons, according to a quote I read from Duchovny (sorry, can't remember where I saw it!), if the ratings are decent.

Actually the way the first season went, two more seasons seems logical to me. First season takes place in 1967 and is a composite build-up. Second season 1968, in comes the Dennis Wilson stuff and the Family hobnobbing with the rock elite. Third season 1969, family moves full-time to the desert, extreme craziness and murder ensue.

I'd be down for two more seasons of this show, faults and all.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well chronologically the Wilson stuff would have already happened, he was the one who facilitated the music demos. I don't think we'll see Wilson in this show.

I find it interesting that they are using Manson as a major character. He's still alive. . .it just seems odd to me. Yet another odd thing about this series.

I'm halfway through and I'm in it til the end but I do wish it were better than it is. I think Duchovny makes a good detective. . . would make an interesting Marlowe, something I wouldn't have thought of before this show.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

For one thing he is way too tall.

Scope J likes this.
  20. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

You must mean Comcast.

GE finished their sell-off in 2013.
    :)

21. shokhead

Yep, Charlie was like 5 foot. He wasn't that tough as they have made him to be.

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Jeremy Davis's performance will be hard to top.
    I feel this show is more about David Dontshoveme .
    Yes, I misspelled that on purpose.:laugh:
    Than accuracy of Manson, Hell, I could do a better job with enough Red Bull in me.

23. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He wasn't, that's fiction.

24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I doubt very much he "boofed" his Attorney in that dark parking lot.

Like someone said, this is an abstract of what happened back then.

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Tex Watson and Susan Atkins were the scary ones in that bunch.

progrocker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.