Arcade Fire - Everything Now (2017 album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LarsO, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Looking forward to this!

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This formatting is really getting ridiculous. I mean... do I really want to choose between a million variants?

It's great to see the Discogs entry for Jlins new album, "Black Origami": "2 Versions", one CD, one double vinyl.

countingbackward likes this.
  3. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Agreed. I want the album in its best-sounding version for the lowest possible price. Perhaps I'm willing to pay extra for some extra tracks in some cases. But 3 different versions of the LP, each with the same tracklisting? That's nuts, and clearly done with the intent to get people to purchase the same thing more than once, exactly the type of thing that makes people hate the music industry's constant attempts to create "product".

Not a good start, Columbia.

On the flipside though...the LP does seem to be priced fairly, if you buy just one of them.

Ticket-buying process for the fan pre-sale was nice and smooth, it'll be interesting to see how the stage setup looks with GA appearing to be tiny and all seats being sold.

fluffskul likes this.
  4. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Ok, had written a mini-rant about problems getting tickets for the Atlanta show but just got through on my phone - think my desktop browser must've been locked out though I hadn't ever been able to select any tickets! Whatever - tickets for both Atlanta and Philly now: happy! :)

Totally in agreement with everyone re the "marketing scheme" to get folks to buy the same album several times over. I love these guys to death but it does leave a bad taste in general.

I'm probably one of the few who even cares but just wondering if Sarah Neufeld and/or Owen Pallett are not involved this time around? That would be a bit disappointing, at the very least from the live perspective.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    jeddy likes this.
  5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Sarah tweeted today she played with them at primavera and the upcoming tour. No idea about Owen but he comes and goes, replaced by that other violinist, name escapes me but she was on the suburbs and reflector tour

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  6. ConnieGuitar

Excellent news - thanks. :righton:
    Marika Anthony-Shaw is the other violinist: not sure she's worked she's actively worked with them for a little while though? Only mentioned Owen as he was on the last tour (as well as doing "after-show" gigs in tandem with the other AF guys) but as you say, he does come and go....still hoping he'll make part of it.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i concur. it sounds to me like a mash-up of abba and herbie hancock's "head hunters" and frankly is pretty uninspiring to me. that's hard for me to call an AF song that, but man it's a boring tune. then again, i remember thinking "month of may " was pretty a pretty awful choice to entice me into the suburbs. thankfully that song wasn't represenatitve of that album's awesome grandeur.

Group of One likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love that -- it sounds like ABBA mixed with some Pet Shop Boys!

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  9. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Got my GA floors for the Montreal show...not knowing the setup, it's hard to know what's better between floor and seats, but when in doubt, I take GA since it allows me to move around if the spot isn't good. On a quick view of the stage layout, it looks like a stage that takes up most of the floor, with GA running around the outside of the stage to follow them around...but kind of hard to tell at this point.

Owen Pallett has been at virtually every AF show I've seen, but then he does live here, so it's not surprising.

That's hardly 2 distinct sounds...Pet Shop Boys are kind of 1989 British male ABBA anyways...I like the song, and the fact that the strings are a bit more prominent in the mix than they were on Reflektor makes it sound unmistakably Arcade Fire. But I find that the band has kind of veered off in an electronic/synth-y direction that I was concerned they might be headed when Sprawl II was a success. They're a band that works the best when they're playing music that has Pixies-ish dynamics with 1980's U2 tension & energy release and a string section that adds those Brian Eno-like colours to the mix. I'm just not sure that the band sees it the same way that I do.

10. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I couldn't even finish listening to the song. I gave up at 3:45, absolutely bored. How disappointing. I expected so much more for their first single. Still, they are an amazing live band.

Moshe, TexasBuck and GentleSenator like this.
  11. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

As long as we're playing "spot the influence"--I heard a bit of Simple Minds' "Alive and Kicking" in this one.

The adult contemporary revolution continues! It seems like there's been a shift in indie rock into the second half of the '10s towards more pop and more polish. It's still lively and immediate, but it's increasingly more produced (but still not overproduced--just produced), and less esoteric (with the obscurity of lo-fi/chillwave/dreampop/shoegaze/drone-rock/psych increasingly departed from). "Reflektor" (which I like) was part of that shift, and this single (which I also like) seems even moreso. (The Haim debut album really seems like the turning point to me in retrospect--very pop, definitely produced, on a major label, but embraced by the indie-rock audience.) It also sounds less pompous to me than usual for an Arcade Fire record, like something you'd be more likely to hear on AAA radio.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  12. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Heads up that the 12" of Everything Now is out in the local shops, £10 for a coloured vinyl with just the track on one side and an instrumental of same on the other - one for the collectors I guess.

13. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Apparently every ticket purchased comes with a copy of the new album

forthlin likes this.
  14. ConnieGuitar

I heard this elsewhere but I certainly didn't receive anything saying I'd be receiving the new album with each of my ticket orders. Would this only be happening in certain markets?

Nevermind it being a completely lousy move for those fans who received the album preorder email last week, which also included the tour presale info. Would any of us who bought tour tickets through the presale have preordered the album as well knowing we were already entitled to a free copy? Bah.

15. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I just received the email from Ticketmaster. It says it should arrive around 7/28

16. ConnieGuitar

Thanks for the reply. It's maybe a Ticketmaster/specific-market thing or just folks that bought through the general sale because it does not seem to be happening across the board... which is still pretty lousy anyway it's sliced.

17. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I'm liking the two songs released so far.
    Every album of theirs has a theme and this one's Corporations. They are going all out in their marketing of the album as such, even placing Creature Comforts cereal boxes around Dublin for the chance at admittance to an afterparty. I hope the album will stand up without the theme, and the first two songs do so far.

[​IMG]

Here's the Creature Comfort video:

LarsO, Binni, Moshe and 3 others like this.
  18. ConnieGuitar

Love that they're actually doing physical placement of cereal boxes!

Man, I can't wait for the album.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Didn't like the direction they took after the first two albums. I think I listened to Suburbs maybe 2-3 times since I bought it and I didn't care for the stuff off the last album I heard at all. If this is Reflektor part 2 I'll pass.

Mike from NYC and Paully like this.
  20. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Great music, great band, thanks Arcade Fire :)

Neonbeam and ConnieGuitar like this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

"creature comforts" may be even worse than the first song. jesus what happened to these guys?

Moshe, Jack o' the Shadows and lbangs like this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I like both songs a lot so far. I've been a fan for about 7-8 years now. Loved Funeral, and really like Neon Bible and The Suburbs, but was kind of lukewarm on Reflektor. I am hoping Everything Now is a return to the really good stuff, and while I can see why some do not like the sound of these new songs so far, I do, so bring on more, I say. :)

forthlin, GentleSenator and rich100 like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Their marketing of the new album is actively annoying me. Had to mute and unfollow them on twitter. Hopefully the new album is great, I just want more great tunes. Reflector was half good and half I skip.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Looks like Win just graduated from the ''Bono's Lyric Writing School''. Dire stuff.

Grunge Master and GentleSenator like this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i want to dislike this, but there's truth to it.

Diamond Dog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.