Arcam 73 cd player suddenly stopped powering on...sound familiar, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello! I purchased a new Arcam 73 cd player in 2005. I've probably used it less than 100 times...last time about a year ago without a problem. Yesterday I decided to try it with a Sansui eight i recently purchased and was surprised when the disc player would not power on. When the power button is engaged there is a split second pause...then a click...then nothing! Power button does not light up. Did countless google searches...with no luck. Does this issue sound familiar? Any suggestions? As soon as I purchase a torx socket small enough I will open it up and have a look. Thanks for any and all info!

2. Yes, it sounds very familiar to me. I had an Arcam CD 73 and had to replace the power supply in it twice. In both instances it was working fine and then the very next time I switched it on it was dead. Needless to say, I would not buy an Arcam again. I hope for your sake it's not that.

3. bayen

Sorry to hear about your 73. Did it click when powered on? Thanks for the info...hopefully I'll be able to get the cover off soon and investigate.

4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

That sux . My 73 is still going strong since 2008 so far. I may eventually sell it since I have so much gear but it’s a nice sounding piece ..

5. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I would guess it's the power supply but there's one thing that's always worth a shot - disconnect the mains at the wall socket then press the power button and keep it pressed for a long time, maybe half a minute. Then plug in and try powering up again. This re-sets a lot of equipment though perhaps not in this case.

Dave likes this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

Made in China, circa 2005? Capacitors are a safe bet.

There's four fuses in the unit. One might have popped if a capacitor shorted out, but I wouldn't just replace a fuse without finding the fault. A capacitor and or voltage regulator could also have gone out of spec or fried, and the chipset can no longer operate with the noise.

[​IMG]

PS, service manual.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Mr.Sneis likes this.
  7. Sorry, it was quite some time ago so I cannot remember.

8. bayen

Thanks for the info/input...and for the service manual also. Will be a week or so before I have time to really investigate...hope it can be saved. I'll update when possible. Thanks

9. bayen

Finally had time to open the Arcam. Unfortunately, fuses are fine and no visible capacitor issues...everything looks fine. I tried holding power button as suggested above...no luck. The click I mentioned in my first post is coming from the player/tray. So, looks like I'll need to take a better look at the service manual....and begin trouble shooting. Thanks again for any help

10. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Have you contacted Arcam's service department for assistance?

11. bayen

Didn't think of this....it was purchased in 2005...so it may be difficult to get help from Arcam....worth a try though, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.