Arctic Monkeys AM Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

There are similarities with the Black Keys.. The Arctic Monkeys (Alex Turner, really) admit freely to being influenced after watching the Keys play arenas when they were the opening act. If you consider the evolution of the Black Keys' sound, the similarities become more and more evident in regards to AM.

HOWEVER, I'd take the Arctic Monkeys on their worst day over the Black Keys

2. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Finally picked this up on vinyl today, (US pressing, that has 'CB' in the deadwax (I assume it's C. Bellman)). I'm loving the sound of it, don't understand how people earlier in the thread were saying it sounds flat.
    Still a great album! And I enjoy it far more than the last two Black Keys releases..

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This album has been out for over a year, and it's currently #13 on iTunes, ahead of the new Foo Fighters album, believe it or not, and has been hanging around the upper reaches of the iTunes chart for months and months. It has been a very old-school, slow-burn, word-of-mouth success for this record here in the States.

Marko L., GentleSenator and MarkO like this.
  4. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Official RIAA Gold certification since a week or 2. Their first US Gold record for an album. (Their very first US Gold and even Platinum record was for 'Do I Wanna Know?' a few months ago).

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Good for them, they deserve this success in the U.S.

6. Gold is what? 500k sales ?

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, I think that's still what it means.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i wonder what the vinyl sales are like? it definitely seems difficult for some retailers to keep this one on the shelves. i admit, i didn't pay any attention to it until recently when word of mouth passed it my way. it's a very, very good album.

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I don't know any US figures, but in the UK, the best sold vinyl record of 2013 (released in September that year) was... 'AM'. In 2014 so far? 'AM'. And vinyl sales over there are at their highest since 1994 or something.

Driver 8 and GentleSenator like this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

awesome!

11. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I love this LP and have listened to both U.S. and U.K. pressings, but there is a strange snapping/popping sound that is a cross between static discharge and a pop (due to a scratch, etc.) I kept the U.S. version anyway, but returned the U.K. (because of the cost differential). Great album.

12. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Funny I see this thread as I have been playing the crap out of this for the last few weeks. Oddly I picked it as my most disappointing release of 2013.

I would like to kindly revoke that statement. Something clicked in recent weeks. I love this album!

nbakid2000 likes this.
  13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Up to #8 on iTunes today. Amazing how this album still seems to be picking up steam over a year after its release.

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

15. That's awesome. I really like this band.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  16. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Bah! You "newers" and your new-fangled rock groups. Arctic Monkeys?....who?

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ha, I had a similar moment two days ago. Though I liked the album right from the start, I have listened to it only for a brief time after getting it and kinda forgot about it. But seeing this thread pop up here, I listened to it again over the last couple of days and like it much more than I remembered. A pretty consistent album and good fun.

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's actually an EP title from 2006: "Who The F**k Are Arctic Monkeys?" ;);)

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Can't tell whether this is a joke or not, but "Number One Party Anthem" is the best John Lennon/David Bowie-esque 70s rock ballad I've heard since the 70s.

mindgames likes this.
  20. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

You can safely assume it was satire.

Driver 8 likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

The show at Berlin's Zitadelle in...ooooh....I guess it was June was one of the best gigs I've seen this year. While I didn't REALLY enjoy their concerts in 2006/7 - just a couple of lads jumping around, maybe I was too old;) - I think right now they are really fantastic as a live act.

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The follow-up to this album will be interesting. They have set the bar pretty high, both commercially and artistically.

23. Neonbeam

One nice thing about this band is that "the follow-up to this album" has been interesting every single time since their first album. And of course some are (for lack of a "better" word) better or more popular than others but right down to the Last Shadow Puppets album and his solo soundtrack I feel Alex Turner has delivered every single time. He is yet to make his first drastic artistic missstep:)

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The worst I can say about him is that I didn't like half of Suck It and See, but the half that I did like was up to his usual high standard.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

In the USA, it is the second best selling vinyl LP of 2014 behind Jack White's Lazaretto. It has been hanging around the top five all year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.