Are 80s Led Zeppelin CDs really better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SOONERFAN, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

So. really, you need both; the Diament masters and the 2014-15 masters. The former has an "ooomph" the latter doesn't. But the latter discs just sound great.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I would agree in general, but I'd also say don't go out of your way or spend significant money on the 1980s versions of Zep III, IV, In Through the Out Door, or Coda. And for that matter, PG and Presence are no great shakes either compared to the new remasters, although they are nice alternatives.

Diament's Zep II definitely has a ton of bass energy (maybe even too much, but hey, can you really ever have too much bass when Jones first comes in on Whole Lotta Love?) - and his Zep I and Houses are essential to have on CD. Clearly they are his two best.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The remasters of III, IV, and PG destroy the originals. For me, Presence and ITTOD are "meh" albums. Can't wait for the Coda reissue.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    tribby2001 and tmtomh like this.
  4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I would agree. I'd also add ITTOD to the list of CDs where the remaster destroys the original.

5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Is it out already? Or you are talking about some other remaster?

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Lossless, redbook (CD quality) files of the new remaster of ITTOD have been available on the French site Qobuz.com since sometime in 2013; and lossy versions have been available on iTunes since December 2012/January 2013.

Plan9 and formu_la like this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Those Diament/Sidore CDs are available quite cheaply as long as you're not looking for collectible pressings.

Even with that, though, I haven't bothered to repurchase the Diament-mastered ITTOD and Coda, and I only have the Sidore IV because I got a copy that came with longbox for not very much money.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Alread have both. ITTOD is my least favorite Zep album. Sounds like Plant fronting Steely Dan.

9. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm not sure if there really is a definitive answer to the original question. Yes, the original CDs may well be better in some respects, but the latest remasters also have their redeeming qualities that would warrant them being judged the better option. I myself have not been able to decide. The 80's discs still sound reasonably good to me, even after having heard the new remasters. The 90's remasters were never a particularly pleasant listen to begin with, so in regard to these I would say that the original CDs most likely are better.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

You are entitled to your opinion...but the Steely Dan comparison is a huge stretch. If I may ask....what song in the Steely Dan canon resembles "In The Evening", "I'm Gonna Crawl" or "South Bound Suarez?" Or the remainder of the tracks?

formu_la likes this.
  11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Just that the album sounds to me more like Steely Dan than Zep.

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Interesting comparison :) I would be more inclined to say Duke era Genesis - I always thought "Fool In The Rain" shared similarities with "Misunderstanding" both stylistically and lyrically.

13. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Perhaps faint echoes of Duke were still floating in the air at Polar Studios when Zeppelin entered to record In Through the Out Door and subliminally exerted an influence on the proceedings...

Shak Cohen likes this.
  14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I think both the Steely Dan and Genesis analogies are a bridge too far, but I agree with the gist of these comments. Plant has said that when they made the album they'd been off the road for too long, with the result that the record was a bit too "clean."

15. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've never understood the hatred for ITTOD. In the Evening, Fool in the Rain, All of My Love...all classic and great Zeppelin tunes. I also happen to think the Diament CD sounds quite good- maybe I'll think the remaster sounds better, but I don't feel as though I've just got to find something better.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like the hits. :)

rcsrich likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Would have made a nice EP. Hot Dog, Cauraselambra..etc...about 25 minutes of low calliber crap imo.

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I agree....I love ITTOD. I purchased it the day of its release in 1979. Had Zeppelin continued, I do believe it would have been viewed as a transitional album not unlike Rush Signals. Of course they do not sound the same, but Signals bridged the gap between old and new, introduced more keyboards, wasn't 100% accepted by fans at the time and didn't get everything right (like Alex guitar in the mix.) I see a lot of parallels.

And even though I love ITTOD, I can admit that something like "Hot Dog" could be viewed as a bit of a misfire, especially when they had "Wearing And Tearing" in the can.

Now as far as the BD discs, I have to disagree here - I feel ITTOD is the worst of the lot. :) I recall an interview with Plant circa 1988. When asked about the CD's he said something to the effect of Physical Graffiti sounded good but ITTOD was "abomidable" and so was "Symbols." And he went on to say (in regards to ITTOD) he didn't understand why because they got a great sound at Polar Studios. I wish I could find that interview.

tmtomh and rcsrich like this.
  19. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'll certainly admit that Hot Dog is not in my list of top Zeppelin cuts, but I think the remainder of tracks are good quality. Carouselambra has the synth mixed a little high, but I find it a good cut otherwise.

Hawklord likes this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Of course they are :)

Just to be clear, with the Genesis reference, I was specifically comparing "Misunderstanding" to "Fool In The Rain." The Steely Dan comparison still has me scratching my head........

tmtomh likes this.
  21. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Interesting comparison to Signals- hadn't thought of that angle before. I can get on board with Plant's assessment of IV, but I find ITTOD in no way "abominable" sounding. To each his own...

tmtomh and johnny q like this.
  22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I think "Carouselambra" and "Fool In The Rain" just may be the 2 most polarizing Zeppelin songs - it is either love or hate it seems with no in between. I love both tracks personally..........

Shak Cohen, tmtomh and rcsrich like this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I guess the synth is to make me feel like Im riding one of those plastic horses in the middle of the music blasting lol. But, hey, then again who can say they went into a new decade with 3 big songs.

Sure would have liked to have heard what the new Zep album after would have sounded like. I always try and imagine what Zep with Bonham and The Who with Moon would have looked like on MTV.

Then again...maybe some things are best left alone lol

rcsrich, sassi and tmtomh like this.
  24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im zep beginner on CD so let me see if I understand I try to make a timeline:

1. Barry D. (on old 80s US CD and 1st Japan CDs)
    2. Marino (on remasters 90s)
    3. Marino (on Japan Mini LPs SHM) ???? so same 90s remasters just put in a SHM disc?
    4. 2014 (Jimmy P supervising... John Davis master)

that is, so zep it was mastered 3 times?

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

just one correction. Diamant never did LZ4 on CD. That was done by Joe Sidore before the others.