Are Esher demos the greatest out-of-nowhere gift to fans in rock history?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I thought all this was settled in the main thread. You are exactly and precisely wrong.

nikh33 likes this.
  2. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Unfortunately, Kinfauns has since been demolished and a new residence has been constructed in its place. On our first trip to the UK in 2002, our navigator took us to 16 Claremont Drive and nervously rolled down the long driveway, in fear that we would be caught and that all sorts of nasty things would inflicted upon us. When he began to make his retreat, my wife said, "Screw this!", jumped out of the car, stepped through the hedges, and proceeded to take a few dozen pics. Gotta love her!

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Definitely one of the greatest gifts ever to Beatles fans, that's for sure! This would have made a great release in 1994-95 when "unplugged" releases were at their peak, especially with Nirvana's MTV Unplugged. This would have been a sure-fire million-seller, maybe even a couple million. However, it's release today allows fans to finally have the Esher Demos in amazingly excellent quality.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:unhunh:

5. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I dont agree with this ridiculously snarky post above.

I'd never even heard of the Esher demos before and now I'm curious enough to go get them.

richierichie and Brother Maynard like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They are radically improved from the best version I have heard, but I an not someone who rabidly seeks out every illegitimate recording with allegedly improved sound

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  7. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I'd have to say it was when my officially released copy of Carnival of Light arrived. It's amazing!

8. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm 63. Been listening to Beatles music my whole life. Never had any inkling these existed. I know on a website like this many members have much deeper collections than regular folks, with non-public stuff they find who knows where. And they are more judgmental in many ways, which I mean as a positive not negative. That said, hearing John and Paul sing these songs in takes I never heard before is purely joyful. The sparse acoustic guitar only adds to their beauty.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This is around the time it was originally teased in a Billboard article! In some ways, we might be fortunate it didn't happen just then. I suspect it would have been a frustratingly abbreviated version.

Morton LaBongo and ajsmith like this.
  10. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I don't understand the lifelong Beatle fans who say they didn't know about these demos. Why didn't you bother to buy Anthology 3 which included seven of the Esher songs? Those Anthology sets (six CDs of unreleased music as well as two new Threetles songs) were a huge deal in Beatledom. I guess I have a different idea about what makes a Beatle fan. You guys need to pick those up, your minds will be blown.

nikh33, PIGGIES, Martin Byrne and 4 others like this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I was chatting with a friend and long-time collector about the Esher material, I think we've had this stuff for 30 years! But certainly a treat to have it in this quality and in stereo.:)

MarkTheShark and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

Of course I had/have the Anthologies. I didn't know more existed is all.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

One can be a fan and not a completest, no? I'm sure to some, a 2 CD set of things the Beatles deemed not good enough doesn't sound that enticing. I bought them, but rarely play them, aside from 2 or 3 tracks that sprout up on my mix CDs in the car occasionally (Across Universe and Come And Get It, mainly).

I had a cassette tape of the Esher demos in the early 90's, before Anthology. Its neat and all to hear these tracks stripped down, but frankly I prefer the finished products. I don't think I played the tape all that often back in the day. I certainly haven't played it in over 20 years (haven't even felt compelled to make a CD of it). But I'm ready to hear them again in this new setting.

14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'm going to put this down to regional accent, where Giles will say Barth or say (in the) Parst I would say Bath and (in the) Past. So Giles will say Eeeesher I say Esher the E as in Egg.

15. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Eric Idle says "Esher" like "leash" in The Rutles, that's good enough for me! It's where Stig was, despite rumors he was dead.

16. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I wouldn't go for the hyperbole of "greatest gift"ever...especially when it cost me a lot of money. However, I do think that it puts this box set head and shoulders over the Sgt Pepper box set which was kind of boring in comparison. I also think that many of the outtakes and alternate versions on here are really worth hearing. In retrospect Anthology looks worse and worse every year. I hope these super deluxe stuff keep coming out, though a remix of Abbey Road would be pointless.

17. It's Eeeeesher. That's from someone who lives there!

nikh33, gja586, Andrew Russe and 4 others like this.
  18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If I buy the new release of The White Album, it's to get all of these legitimately.

As for out of left field archive releases, The Roxy Performances comes to mind.

(Full disclosure; this is where I get most of my new release information.)

hazard and seacliffe301 like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'll love hearing the Esher demos in improved quality over my bootlegs but as far as being "the greatest out of nowhere gift to fans in rock history", (not that there's only one), my pick would be the SMiLE box set.

First Brian finished a version of SMiLE, and then allowed the mega box of actual SMiLE sessions to be released. That seemed impossible for years and years.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Wonderful to have them. A truly awesome box set and I haven’t ever heard the 5.1 yet:edthumbs::cheers:

Peter_R likes this.
  21. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Just finished playing the new album. In a word, stunning. Everything I hoped for and more. Now on to the Claygate demos!

uzn007 likes this.
  22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Not even close.

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

First time hearing the Esher demos and while I think it is great that they gave them to us I would still say that the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series is still the greatest gift to music lovers.

YardByrd and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Why did they double themselves on almost every demo?

25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I’m going to put it down to your being wrong. :nauga:

nikh33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.