Are Gas Dusters Safe For Removing Loose Dirts On Vinyl Records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudiophilePhil, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

Most of these so-called gas dusters (aka canned air or compressed air) actually contains inert gases such as difluoroethane, trifluoroethane or tetrafluoroethane.
    Are these chemical compounds safe or harmful to vinyl records?
    I am asking because I am planning to use them as a pre-cleaning agent before applying record-cleaning fluids (e.g., Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions, Disc Doctor, etc.) on vinyl surface with the use of a record brush or pad.

Is it safer to use these gas dusters as pre-cleaning agent than using a soft brush (e.g. paint brush)?

Thanks Hoffmanites!!

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

I am actually planning to use one of these gas dusters as a pre-cleaning agent (dry surface cleaning to remove loose dirts) prior to wetting the record surface with record-cleaning fluids (e.g., Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions, Disc Doctor, etc.).

Thanks again!!

3. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I use them to blow junk off my vinyl before I give the records the Disc Doctor treatment. I haven't noticed any ill effects from using compressed air.

4. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I can't imagine a quick blast of that gas will affect vinyl. Need to be a little careful with a new can, or inverting an used can, since it can come out as a liquid, especially the tetrafluoroethane. Times when it came out a liquid, it stained the vinyl for a minute then the stain dissipated. I would avoid this just out of common sense. The trick is to always keep the can level.

Canned gas dusters for electronics are great when used with a carbon fiber brush. I brush the dust into a line and blast the line with the can. I use it on the TT and stylus too when I'm too lazy for the Magic Eraser.

5. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I use one to blow off the inevitable cat hair and pieces of dust before playing a side - better than contaminating the vinyl with my (probably much dirtier) record brush.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

They are compressed air that has been 'dehumidified and filtered. What's the problem?

I've used them in photography for more than 40 years and never had a problem.

The only caveat is to make sure you keep the can upright when spraying.

7. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I use one to blow the occasional hair or dust off an LP. But I am not a chemical engineer nor do I profess to have a working knowledge of the periodic table. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.