Are The Beatles Mono Albums Going OOP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Partyslammer, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church Thread Starter

I noticed that most of The Beatles mono analog vinyl remasters especially Sgt Peppers are becoming fairly hard to find. I picked one up from a local shop a couple weeks ago and asked if they were getting any of the others back in and was told "doubtful." I'm considering getting mono LPs of MMT, Rubber Soul and Revolver (I've had the White LP for over a year) and am wondering if I should get on the stick or not panic.....

2. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

are you going to play them? ... go buy them. If not, save your money.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I doubt they're going out of print (why would Apple do that?) but I, too, have noticed they've mostly disappeared from B&M's.

4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Is the box set still available at this point?

bluejimbop likes this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

...some B&M's have to worry about disappearing, themselves... :shake::agree::(

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

As far as I remember they said they were pressing s specific amount and that would be it.

If you want them it makes no sense to wait any longer.

e.s. likes this.
  7. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Amazon supposedly has a few in stock but It'll take me a bit to rope together the money to get one. It's a few hundred more than I put down for the George Harrison box but actually it's about the same as the Rolling Stones box and that includes the crazy shipping price. Not sure who else has it, The Beatles website only has the Stereo box now and even that's getting a bit tough to find.

8. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I managed to complete my mono set a few months ago, but I did find it was getting harder to find some of the LPs towards the end (I was mainly looking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon Marketplace dealers, and Discogs dealers). I found in one case that a UK dealer originally claimed to have Help! in stock, but after several weeks and no show, I contacted them and they had been trying to source it for me from various countries (I think they mentioned the Netherlands and the US). They failed in the end. Luckily I was able get a copy (German pressing) elsewhere.

9. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Good time to snatch up the mono Revolver I saw at Barnes and Noble.

Unfortunately, no mono Pepper :(

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  10. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Can anyone link me to a box set that is definitely not a fake please?! In the UK ideally :)

11. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  12. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church Thread Starter

My go-to vinyl players for years has been the BC13 Blue Box collection from the UK and I never had much of a desire to listen to the mono versions until I picked up the mono White album. After being impressed for all the well documented reasons I sought out and picked up Sgt Peppers and now have begun looking for the other three I mentioned. I originally wasn't in a hurry as my available time to sit down and listen to a record is fairly limited these days and buying recently released records of albums I already have in multiple configurations (BC13 vinyl box, Stereo CD box) is kinda low on my list of things to do.

Bingo Bongo and lightbulb like this.
  13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

There was definitely a limit on that -- I believe 10k worldwide was the quoted amount -- so if that's close to gone, it seems likely the individual albums wouldn't be far behind. Might be worth picking up spare copies of the albums that get a lot of play...

14. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

About a year ago or so I posted the same thing wondering if they were going out of print. I was having a lot of trouble finding Revolver. Several stores told me they could no longer order them. Then a few months later they were all back in stock at Amazon and the same local store who said they couldn't order them. Hard to tell if this is another temporary dry spell or they really are running out.

bluejimbop and patient_ot like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I bet they'll be easily available everywhere around Xmas time

16. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I don't know, Bullmoose has Sgt. Pepper's listed as "out of stock rare item- we'll try to get this for you". Whenever they have done this in the past for other (non-Beatle) items, that's generally it.

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Pepper might be the first to go. Unfortunately.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Many of them appear to be unavailable on Amazon.

19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I got a mono lp box set a couple of weeks ago, you can find them online

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Mono box still available, many individual albums not available.

21. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Yeah--that doesn't look good. It says the same thing for "Magical Mystery Tour".
    For "Please Please Me", "With the Beatles" and "Beatles For Sale" it says "Out of stock but available. Should ship within 1 week."

For "Help!" it says "Low stock - should ship Thursday"

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well the MONO CD box was LIMITED! LOL!

rxcory, goodiesguy, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
  23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I suspect that they pressed a set amount of mono LPs to fulfill the anticipated need for both the box sets and standalone sales, calculating an amount that would meet the demand for a few years (when the sales would be the greatest). They may have left the option open to press more LPs if sales far exceeded their expectations. But as sales naturally taper off in the third year after release, they may decide that re-pressing the mono LPs simply isn't worth the effort and that they'd rather concentrate on newer projects, like the Pepper remix (or any other future remixes).

I also wonder how many metal parts (mothers and stampers) were produced for the mono LP runs. Did they stockpile enough parts for a sizeable re-pressing in the future? Or would they have to go back and make new lacquers again? And if new lacquers were needed again, would they source them from the analog tapes again? Or would they source them from digital? Too many unknowns for my liking.

If anyone is on the fence about getting the 2014 mono LPs, I would suggest getting them while one still can. Besides, if you get them now, you can enjoy them now. :righton:

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I was in three different record stores today, and out of curiosity, I flipped through The Beatles section in each to see which mono LPs they had in stock. First one had Rubber Soul, Revolver, and The Beatles. Second had all of those, plus Please, Please Me, With the Beatles, and Magical Mystery Tour. Last one just had Mono Masters. I also noticed that all three no longer were out of stock on the standard stereo of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but had plenty of the 50th anniversary edition.

Make of that what you will.

25. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I've been looking around myself, and it does seem like the stock is getting thin on certain titles of the Mono.

I picked up With the Beatles, Beatles for Sale, and Mono Masters today from Amazon.

Just need Please Please Me and I'll be done.

I have a local source for Sgt. Pepper's in Mono but they are charging $40! Debating picking up a second copy for the vault. (It's a sickness I tell you)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.