Are The David Bowie Boxes Worth It?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’d love to know the opinions of each of these sets. Are they worth the money? What are the downsides to these sets? I’d appreciate any kind of feedback here. Thanks in advance.

warewolf95, Sean and lightbulb like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont have them but skimming over the big threads it would seem that the first one is very good (as far as sound, not any glaring mistakes etc). Then the next two seem to have more and more issues with each passing set.

The last box set has these issues:

• There is a volume drop during the title track of Heroes at around the 2.50 mark
    • Low has a rather overcooked bass-heavy remastering which spoils side one, in particular.
    • Various issues with the Lodger remaster, including a similar increase in bass some tape/noise flutter being present and an incorrect fade-up on the beginning of Red Sails

Like I said, that is my understanding at this point.

Anyone want to straighten me out if Im in error please feel free to elaborate.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    warewolf95 and Mirror Image like this.
  3. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

I only have A New Career..
    I think it is a beautiful set. I like the sound of the discs. Are they as good as the originals? meh, no. But, they aren't horrible pressings either. Just different.
    I am looking forward to Loving The Alien as it has concerts from Montreal. Absolutely love that!

4. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

As someone who has all three boxes, and multiple pressings of all Bowie albums, I can say that whether they're worth it is entirely up to you. Out of all the albums in the boxes, some I will play over an original, others not. If you're a casual fan, maybe just get the individual releases as they're available separately. The Re:Call discs are nice for collecting b-sides, and it a better sell for the first and third boxes, not so much for WCIBN. The books with liner notes and pictures are a nice feature. The issues in the boxes are there, but I think that you should understand that while some of these things are apparent if you're A/B'ing the reissues with originals, most of these things aren't issues that casual listeners would notice or take issues with, EXCEPT from the Heroes drop out, but that has been fixed in the individual release. The bass on Low is something that I think depends on your setup as to whether or not it will sound hyped. It definitely sounds different to me, but I don't take issue with that because it's not the only version that can be found. The same thing goes with the new mixes of Ziggy/Station/Lodger/NLMD; no one is taking the originals away from you, so if you don't like the idea or results of new mixes, then just don't listen to them. I for one enjoyed the Lodger one a lot, but am indifferent to the Ziggy and Station ones, so I just don't play them. Not a big deal. If these boxes had more exclusive and rare content, they'd be an easier sell to casual fans. They're not cheap but also not over priced when you consider what's included. I didn't pay over $200 for any of the boxes, and at that price, it was worth it to me.

bizmopeen, warewolf95, SBC and 6 others like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

This was fixed by Parlophone. Unless you're buying a used CD or LP that someone bought out of the gate and held onto, you won't have this problem.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The Five Years set is worth it for the Ziggy remix alone. I know I know sacrilege but I think it sounds amazing with Mick's guitar parts higher in the mix of some songs.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have most of the albums in the sets, so for me. Not really.
    The new one all i have is lets dance, so maybe. If serious moonlight and glass spider were dvd/bluray probably

8. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I have all three boxes and will get Loving the Alien for completeness, although it contains mainly sub-par material. They all have their good points but are not perfect. I think the omission of an early singles compilation and his first album is a mistake and I think the over reliance on remixes of live and studio albums over compilations of rarities (beyond Re:Call’s b sides and edited a sides) is another.
    As a way of getting hold of Bowie’s back catalogue they are fine but an opportunity missed for me given what these boxes could have contained. They are nicely presented though.

9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

If one were to order the last box set with "Heroes " from amazon today, would the drop out be fixed or is it only on the individual pressings?

10. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I believe it would contain an unfixed disc from what I have read.

sunking101, scobb and joeislive like this.
  11. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I have all three so far (planning to pre-order the fourth), and I say yes. For me, they've replaced most of my old CDs, with the exception of one or two. It all boils down to personal taste though. I think on presentation alone these sets are definitely worth it, if you're into that kind of thing. I love the mini-LP replicas with all the inserts and everything, even the fan club cards.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Would get them if you wanted to easily start a Bowie collection, but not as good as originals (U.S and U.K.). The vinyl was cut by the in-house engineer at the pressing plant (Optimal). They do have their charms. Avoid the third box at all costs, though. As others have mentioned, Low and Hereoes had bass heavy mastering and Lodger had tape issues. Originals for the material in the third box. The first two are nicely packaged and sound okay. A good place to start for a Bowie newbie, but if you aren't one, it is really for completists. I like having the albums in one place, though.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  13. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

I have the first one, Five Years, and love it. I think all the LPs sound great. Flat, quiet pressings. Just jammed the Live in Santa Monica concert today at maximum volume while cleaning the house. As others have mentioned, the book and the b-sides are cool to have. The early stuff is my favorite Bowie period so I didn’t grab the other boxes. Will probably just get the individual pressings of my fave later albums.

14. I just wish that they were better. They had the chance to make these the definitive versions in these sets and, while there is an improvement here and there, some of them are still not better than the RCA West Germans or even some of the RCA Japan for U.S.

PhantomStranger, Tsomi and aphexj like this.
  15. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I really want to track down a copy of the remixed Lodger. Seen that a few people bought them here on the forum, wonder what the going rate for that is nowadays?

16. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

ricks and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Absolutely, and please dump your originals at your nearest used record store...

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Whether they are worth it or not is an individual decision. They have been reasonably priced, especially with offers e.goutou could have got the first three in an Amazon Germany 3 for price of 2 deal. But kudos for the series to whoever has put them together. Chronological, mix of studio and live, remasters and new cuts, singles etc. on the Recall discs, and issued on regular basis, with a clear pattern. To my mind, they form a very good or excellent career retrospective.

19. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The issue of the "Heroes" volume change is not fixed on the boxset. As that one has (likely) just one run all copies of that album in the box are still from the first (incorrect) run and thus have the issue.
    Even worse, the exchange program by Parlophone has ended. So if you buy the boxset now and want to have a correct version of "Heroes" you also have to buy that album separately (and then end up with a slightly different, not gold-coloured, disc).

Apart from that I think the boxsets are a good way to get his albums. Most if not all of the albums are better than the '99 EMI remasters. And they're an easy way to get his previously released material, presented very well.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@jamesc you were just asking about these boxes!

jamesc likes this.
  21. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

As someone who only owned about five 70s albums by Bowie on vinyl (a couple of which were in lousy condition), they’ve been worth every penny. My CDs have stayed on the shelf every since the boxes arrived. Great value; lovely sets.

22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have most of the standalones from the first box. The reissue of Ziggy Stardust (also available as a standalone) is the same cut as the 40th and is glorious. The rest are acceptable. I regret not buying the whole box when it was out.

I did buy the Berlin era box and was happy with it. I think the complaints (with the exception of the "Heroes" error) were greatly overblown.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s what I’ve done, too. I’m happy with that.

via_atx likes this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:realmad:

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

Like a lot of these boxsets, they look really nice, but I'm not interested in paying that kind of money for albums I already own. Some on CD & Vinyl.
    No thanks.

mpayan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.