Are The Doors reissues & live albums "finished"?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Count me in for Mono and Singles sets. This is one that I hope AF could release with Steve working the knobs. Maybe AF will consider it if the Quad release sells well and if The Doors' camp comes up with a sweet proposition for everyone.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I hope the Quad comp sells well and they come up with some new ideas, because they've pretty much exhausted the core studio catalog. I might buy the first album again if it were a mono SACD, but that'd be it.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'd like both Mono albums to be released on SACD and then a Mono Singles comp. They may as well do a small Box Set.

NUNZI and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Funny you mention AF. I suggested the first 2 albums in mono to Marshall early this year and he said "No more Doors, it's been done to death". You know what, he's right. That's why I will not buy the AF SACD. I have the DCC and AF discs of the core six studio albums. Plus, I just got some nice needledrops of those first 2 albums in mono. I have the bulk of The Doors' work. They've been done to death.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  5. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

The year fits but a bit earlier. Those Fillmore shows in March, shortly after they began their marathon tour of the US were "the Doors' best ever shows" and by far. Although I favour more the rawness of their late '67 performances, at Fillmore they reached peak both artistically and financially. By the time they got to Stockholm, the last gig of their European tour, they started to melt due to exhaustion. This doesn't mean they didn't give two decent shows there but it was a wholly different beast by then compared to their quintessential form during that spring of 1968. And when they started another short run of US tour in the fall, it showed.

6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

London Fog was promised back in 2011.
    Complete MAtrix: we are waiting since the 2CD set was released in 2008 and the Doors, having seen how they f****d it up, purchased the original tapes.
    IOW is a potential release but the footage is pretty dark reddish and is a subdued performance.
    Management said they were "working on Stockholm". What does this mean is beyond our knowledge. Maybe they were preparing the tapes for release, maybe they were trying to purchase the original tapes.
    New Orleans 70: even if Morrison was wasted by all accounts, the set list is pretty interesting and would be nice to have it.

D-rock and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Interesting. I've never heard the Fillmore (or any other early '68 US) shows before. Is there currently a good sounding source for these?

vinyldreams likes this.
  8. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Unfortunately there's no recording of those nights but a good number of accounts, including the members and the attendees, amongst them Linda McCartney who saw the Doors a dozen times by then referred to those shows as their greatest achivement on stage. Who knows, maybe in ten years time a tape from Graham's vaults which is now hoarded will finally emerge with one of the shows on it... that would be our best day to be a Doors fan, no doubt about it.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  9. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Wolfgangs Vault is a hidden gem of a website, that I'm surprised is not talked about a lot more. They continue to release new concerts, which is always fun. Nothing from the Doors, however, after they pulled them all years ago.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A lot of the WV material is sourced from bootlegs. IIRC, the reason there is nothing from The Doors is that WV did not have any Doors tapes to begin with.

Pats Radio likes this.
  11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

10 years from now, most of the original Doors fans will be dead or too old to care. In my case, I hope to be in the latter group. :sigh:

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought they got rid of those eventually?

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

All it takes is a well placed song in a film, a TV show or a commercial to give artists a good career boost. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in the next few years and helps create a new younger fan base. I would not dismiss the band and its legacy so promptly.

zphage likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is certainly a focus for The Doors' management. But at the end of the day, this is a very different era then years past. Who cares if a song is placed in a film? It isn't as if film soundtracks sell anymore; if anything, generation-Y will simply stream or download the track if it is appealing - it isn't as if a whole new generation of fans will be born clamoring for underground live concerts. With regards to commercials, Densmore will not allow for the "commercialization" of the band's music (although he sells out the name in other ways frequently). The Doors will always be a respected, artistic band in some fashion. But, it is hard to imagine that the band will generate a significant, devoted fan-base with generation-Y in the coming years. The future is about greatest hits compilations and an ongoing propaganda machine selling the Morrison/Lizard King myth to teens; the hardcore fan-base is shrinking.

Simon A and rockclassics like this.
  15. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

The Doors have between 5-7 shows left for release that we know of. After that the vault is dry unless you consider outtakes and boots. If there are soundboards out there which some claim then there could be more but the chances of them seeing the surface is slim to none.

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The songs are used frequently for TV shows, films and commercials for TV shows and films. One of the more recent uses is for the upcoming David Duchovny series, Aquarius.

Simon A likes this.
  17. Pats Radio

18. My understanding is that The Doors management has recently secured a cache of multi-track studio tapes and this might possibly be the item of great anticipation that they are referring to here? I know someone uploaded 8 hours of Doors in the studio to Youtube over a year ago but that upload has been removed. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence or if it had any relevance? I heard some of it but it was quite far removed from the official takes. It certainly showed the genius of Rothchild as a producer, let's put it that way. However, quality aside, this is the type of material that a lot of fans seem to want. I think I'll be sticking with what I've already got once The Fog and Matrix have been satisfactorily dealt with / released. I remain to be surprised but to date The Doors out-takes have been a very disappointing block of material. Give me EARLY live shows in good sound any day in preference.

Christopher B, Fullbug and zphage like this.
  19. Pats Radio

I'm in agreement here. I'd rather have good quality live shows than studio outtake stuff.

rockclassics and Simon A like this.
  20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Even unreleased/unknown studio outtakes ?

21. When you say "unknown" do you mean an unheard song? I doubt there are many? Apart from those tracks added to the 4oth Anniversary remasters, all other out-takes remain unreleased. I think Pats Radio is saying that even unheard, unreleased studio material which is simply earlier run-throughs or out-takes / blown takes of known songs would not be preferable to good quality live performances. If I'm right, I agree entirely with that viewpoint.

22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Has it ever been discussed to release An American Prayer deluxe with the 2 unreleased Morrison poetry sessions?

Buda, #OneOccupation and vegafleet like this.
  23. AFAIK, no. The poetry recordings do not belong to "The Doors" per se so any plan would have to be made by the Courson & Morrison Estates jointly. This seems quite unlikely to me considering that the ideal opportunity to expolit Morrison's legacy was probably in the late 80's / early '90's and to date no one has suggested that this would even be a welcome idea.

24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

2018 woudl be the 40th anniversary so ideal time ;-)

25. Pats Radio

Other than Paris Blues, there's not much more I would want over a live show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.