Are The Doors reissues & live albums "finished"?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What's the story on Paris Blues? I see many a mention of that song but if no one has ever heard it how does anyone know that it's any better than She Smells Nice?

2. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I happened to listen to the whole album last night. Genius. Very well done.

But with Ray gone, where can they find new background music for the spoken parts?

How much is yet unreleased?

His poetry only works in his voice.

3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I am far from a Doors expert, but it is weird they haven't released the Stockholm '68 concerts officially. Great performances in perfect sound.

4. Good performances but nowhere near the best from '68 apparently and they don't own the recordings. As for the "perfect sound" comment, the only copy I have sounds pretty terrible with distortion and vocal drop-outs all over the place.

Pats Radio likes this.
  5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Well, I'll have to listen to my copies again. They were recorded by Swedish nation radio.

6. Sounds more like a de-tuned radio (to quote Radiohead), I'm not sure about Swedish National Radio!

7. Except for the distorted vocals, which are present in various degrees on every copy of these shows I've ever heard. I'd be surprised if they were released officially.

Pats Radio likes this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

You can be sure, the recordings were certainly done by Swedish Radio, SR. Maybe it's a high generation copy?

9. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There is some distortion on the vocals on a few tracks indeed, but otherwise pretty flawless. But nevermind, I was just curious about what the Doors community think of these recordings :).

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

We don't. Ray himself said that it's just a basic blues jam, nothing special. If they had it and it were worth anything, they would have released it by now.

11. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

It wasn't released because they never had a clean copy of it. Apparently they have found one. I see it being released at some point for sure. Probably with that LAW outtakes box if it ever sees the light. Don't hold your breath.

As far as Stockholm Jeff said many moons ago they were working on it but nothing ever came of it. The vocals drop out on almost every copy heard. Unless they found and bought the masters, it's not releasable IMO. Downloads maybe.

12. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, for the most part I agree. I also would prefer early concert material (Matrix, Fog, etc).

With that said, some studio outtake material would be of extreme interest to me. For example (and I have no idea if they even still exist), but I would love to hear the 2 studio versions of 'The End' that they edited together to make the album version.

A few months back someone posted a vinyl rip of the Stockholm late show on one of the torrent sites. It's from a record I believe issued in the early '90s. Anyway, it's my favorite version because there is far less distortion on the vocals.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no way no how....as long as people keep buying them and there is money to made they will keep making them.

which begs the question:

is the original 45 version of 'light my fire' on CD yet?

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, but only on the official Japanese singles box set. I have it. It sound very good.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks, that is what thought, no domestic release....which, when you really think about it, is pretty f**kin ridiculous considering how many times doors songs have re-re-re-re - issued.

Encuentro likes this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

iirc, The US mono LMF single was released as a digital download

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, it was. I have it. However, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Japanese CD, in my opinion.

Pats Radio likes this.
  18. Pats Radio

The story is, it seemed to be lost or they only had a rough copy of it on tape which apparently some of the recording was taped over by Ray's son Pablo. If you read between the lines Robby let it out on the Doors world series of trivia that they have found a copy of it. So I'm guessing they will release it at some point. I hope.

SteveM likes this.
  19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

20. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Gotta be a bootleg.

21. My thoughts entirely

22. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

23. Pats Radio

24. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

The new Jerry Hopkins E book Behind Closed Doors contains some good info on the future of The Doors releases. Bruce Botnick pretty much says the well is dry except for that one reel to reel audience tape from the London Fog. The first reel is still missing and contained most of the well known songs. After hearing the Felt Forum 1st show on vinyl I wish Absolutely Live wasn't a Paul Rothchild "pieced together" collection of songs. They definitely have some great live material that could've been released with minor tweaks. Rothchild wanted a live studio album I guess. Five To One would've had to be censured, but I love those 1970 uncut versions with the "go into this car and get...up!"
    The New Orleans soundboard tapes haven't been talked about since 2008(?) or so. The guy probably thinks he's sitting on millions when we know he isn't. The audience recordings of the Dallas show are probably a good gauge of the playing quality of the other 3 Doors and how drunk and uninterested Jim was. Isn't there an audience of Riders on YouTube from N.O. ? Good chance it is really the Dallas show.

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I've been reading through some of 'The Velvet Underground: The Matrix Tapes 4CD Box Set' thread. Seems to be an excellent release. Wish the Doors had 4 CD's worth of material from the Matrix that they could release. :rolleyes: Oh well, maybe next year, or the next, etc, etc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    jay.dee, blueoysterdvp and SteveM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.