Are the issues with the iPod Mini?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by proufo, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are there issues with the iPod Mini?

Hello to all.

My daughter wants an iPod for Christmas and my budget barely reaches into US$200 or so.

I see a lot of iPods Minis at ebay for around that price.

Are there any issues with the mini? I believe it was soon made obsolete.

Thanks in advance.

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I doubt they'll make it obsolete. There are rumors that they are going to introduced a flash-memory based version, but at this point, they are just rumors.

The mini is perfect for those that don't need a lot of music. 1000 songs are enough for most people.

3. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

my daughter wanted one as well. I read a lot at general websites (like cnet.com) and the forums and ended up buying another unit for her. iPods are great but I found that there are a number of very good units available.

In the end, it didnt matter, she returned the unit and used some saved up money to buy a iRiver MP3 player (about $275).

4. proufo

Yes, I believe there's more value in other players but she loves her iMac and definitely wants an iPod and nothing else will do.

I looked longer at the ebay offerings and it may be not much more expensive to get a new US$299 model with Apple's free shiping.

Re obsolescence, the Mini is not in Apple's WWW site anymore.

5. chosenhandle

ecost.com is an authorized iPod reseller and has the iPod+HP 20GB model for about $260 with free shipping and other rebates and stuff.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You're telling me! All of my step-daughter's friends have I-Pods (or so I am told), and they are all on I-Tunes at college, and she needs to be able to swap files, etc.

I am pretty sure that the I-Pods are all price fixed (from what I have seen), much like the Nintendos and Playstations.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

8. boead

boead New Member

9. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

10. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

11. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

there's those that aspire to have an F430 and those who are happy with a Yugo.

:righton:

12. proufo

The thing I don't like about the iPod is that they use internal batteries. That means problems in the future as here in Venezuela we don't have the easy (105 US$!!) swap thing.

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just went to ecost.com and the 20G HP+Apple iPod was $282.99 plus an additional $6.95 handling fee.

14. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/

15. chosenhandle

I picked one up about 3 weeks ago for $264.95. The handling fee was also 6.95. Must have been running some sort of deal or something.

16. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Good for you. My daughter is just about finished saving up for a 20 GB iPod. I work at Lockheed Martin, and we get an employee discount from Apple. It is only about 6%. The $299.99 20 GB iPod sells for $281.00. I'm hoping to find a better price somewhere else.

17. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

I have owned 3 iPod's now and never ran into these "imaginary" battery issues people seem to have, at least thats what they claim, truthful or not.

I think your battery will safley outlast your iPod, at least until you purchase the next one.

18. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I think the best way to save on an iPod is to buy it directly from Apple in the Special Deals section of the store. They sell refurbished units (which look brand new with no scratches) for 30 to 35% off. Specially the 3G ipods. For instance the 40GB 3G iPod sells for about 330 or 30 dollars more than the 20GB 4G iPod. I'm on my fourth iPod. I started with a 5G that I bought for $150, then I moved up to a 15GB that I bought for 275, then the current 20GB which I got on sale from Apple. In betwen I briefly had a 30GB iPod, which I had stolen, but that's another matter. Each time I sold the older iPod on eBay for roughly the same as I paid new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.