Are the loudness wars over?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How did that stray DR10 get through?

goodiesguy, Shak Cohen and Davey like this.
  2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

LOUDNESS?WHATLOUDNESS?THISISHOWMUSICISSUPPOSEDTOSOUND!!

3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It's over with me.

klockwerk likes this.
  4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

It's the inherit limitations of a vinyl record that basically saved the dynamic range of the music, especially during the cutting part with a professional lathe cutter, which cutting from a brickwalled release would otherwise be impossible to create or cause a record to be practically unplayable due to skipping since the crazy grooves would be almost impossible to play.

ggggreenisaac and Nick Brook like this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I would also like the title of this thread to be changed to either "Are the loudness wars over" or "Is the loudness war over":)

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  7. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Loud won.

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I don't think it's just loudness. Those Cars remasters just sounded BAD. Wonky. Out of balance. Hard to quantify but they just missed the 'Pop' of the originals. I went back and listened to my original Elektra CD's and was quite blown away by how much better they sounded. I'm no audiophile either, so if it's apparent to me, I'm surprised they even let those things out the door.

bobcat, goodiesguy, VVK and 3 others like this.
  9. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

As long as people continue to buy the albums mastered this way the record companies will continue to have recordings mastered in this manner. As long as it sells it must be good right ???? (Answer = WRONG ............ unless you are someone who has NO idea what fidelity is about). #thesadtruth :(

tin ears and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  10. Lemon Curry

I think the record companies are missing a huge opportunity here. If they made an "audiophile" version of most releases, either as a standalone blu ray, or a cd with a blu ray, and put a non-limited version of the mix on that blu ray, I'd pay extra every time for that. We're already sort of doing that, albeit inconsistently, with vinyl. It would be a win/win for everyone involved.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That doesn't make it okay, you know.

12. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??

13. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

What?

14. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Should have called him the dork!

15. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Great point and I 100% agree with you. That said, bean counters (which I am one of so I can call us that LOL) at recording labels do not model releases that way. Appeal to the masses for the lowest cost and you will maximize the return on investment. Yeah .... that's the ticket ;)

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

LOUDNESS
    WAR IS OVER
    IF YOU WANT IT
    Happy Christmas from
    John and Yoko™

CBackley, JulesRules and Paul P. like this.
  17. Lemon Curry

Yep, but... price it where it makes sense for them as well. There's a number that works for both of us. Heck, I would have paid $50 for a non-limited blu ray of Pepper.

18. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

True but .... the magic question is hw many people would have paid that price for it? Total revenue is the product of price x volume and if the volume isn't high enough the value equation won't work. The harsh reality here is that this comes down to economics and if there aren't enough people out there willing to shell out the coin ($ per unit) for such product it will never see the light of day. Sux I know :(

19. Lemon Curry

But still... I would settle for a HD download in a pinch!

GroovyGuy likes this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I first became aware of it (though I didn't know what to call it at the time!) when, out of curiosity, I inserted Lemon Collie & The Infinite Sadness into a friend's CD player at (what I took to be) a reasonable volume, and had to switch it off after about three seconds.

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Everybody knows that the war is over, everybody knows that the good guys lost. . .

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Even lower-key releases aren't so lucky. Earlier this year, Martha and the Muffins/M+M released The World is a Ball on CD for the first time. I assumed that special care would've been given to the mastering, seeing that this would be the album's very first CD release and because a smaller label was responsible. Sadly, that just wasn't the case, and the result ended up being one of the worst CDs I have ever heard. No joke. It had almost no dynamic range whatsoever, and once you combine that with a horrible lack of midrange, you've got an instant ear-bleeder. The CD was so bad that I had to get the vinyl just to be able to listen to the damn thing, and that's a shame since it's such a great album.

To make a long story short, nay. I can't see the war ending any time soon, if at all.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  23. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Wrong. Lots of people care. Don't relegate this forum to such importance.

24. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a matter of do you blame the ME or the record label or both? or even the artists whom's release it is.

I had my album mastered by a well known mastering engineer whom had 2 songs much higher RMS level , when I said it to him he said to change it I would have to pay him again for a full mastering session. Alas I fixed it myself but I was not happy with the mastering level and too broke at the time to pay the guy again to master it.

Lessons learned tho.

billnunan likes this.
  25. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Is it really overall volume that people are objecting to? Because to me there's nothing more annoying than cd's that aren't competitive sounding. You've got to have a decent amount of volume...otherwise it feels like you have to turn the volume knob up to obscene levels just to get anything out of it, which sometimes makes the peaks sound super harsh and uneven in the process. Decent volume creates a certain sensation of there being "power" on the album. Maybe people object to the distortion created by sloppy digital mastering? Or not hearing enough dynamics? I can totally understand that argument. But it's definitely possible to create a competitive sounding album that's quite loud and still maintains the integrity of the mix and dynamics -- you just have to buy the vinyl to get it. ;)

But hardly any band is going to want to put out an album that isn't competitive. So, good luck returning to the sound of CD's from 20 years ago. Not going to happen, and it shouldn't either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.