Are there any "Australianisms" in lyrics that we can explain to you non-Australians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by qwerty, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums. Thread Starter

I feel I have a national obligation to start this thread, following the three threads for other regions:

I'm not taking responsibility to answer all questions, my fellow country men and women can help!

I will start with what is often considered to be the national food of Australia: Vegemite.
    As popularised by Men at Work in their hit "Downunder", it is indeed a popular sandwich filling. Black, thick, with the primary ingredient being salt. It was developed by Cyril Percy Callister in Melbourne, Victoria in 1922, as a way of disposing of excess used yeast being dumped by breweries. Most foreigners don't like it because they put it on bread/toast too thickly. It's horrible like that. It should be smeared very, very thinly. I still think it's horrible, but it's less horrible when eaten in moderation.

And please don't expect Austen Tayshus' "Australiana" to be explained in one post!

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I'm sure there's a lot in Go-Betweens' songs.

Nightswimmer and qwerty like this.
  3. Shrdlu

Shrdlu Forum Resident

Ha ha! Chunder in the old Pacific Sea.

vonwegen likes this.
  4. qwerty

"Chunder in the old Pacific Sea" is a Barry Humphries song, sung by the Barry McKenzie character. I can't recall if it's in the McKenzie movie/soundrack or not.

The song is a celebration of excess beer drinking resulting in vomiting, which was known as "chundering". This part of our vernacular is disappearing. I would like to think we are moving towards a more responsible drinking culture, but binge drinking remains a problem for our youth.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

If you could translate some episodes of Prisoner aka Prisoner of Cell Block H I'd be much obliged. :laugh:

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what's a "sheila"?

7. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I would like some Little Creatures or VB....or a crate or two of same.
    Thank you!
    :cheers:

8. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Sheilas are wimmin...

Sorry, not my thread! Butting out...

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what's a "wimmin"?

:p

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

When my twin daughters were about 6 years old we went out to eat at the Outback restaurant. They needed to use the restroom, excused themselves, and returned a minute later: "Daddy, am I a bloke or a sheila?":biglaugh:

11. qwerty

Sheila's are women, Blokes are men.
    "wimmin" is another language's word for women.
    forthlin, pleased to hear you are giving your daughters a good cultural education.

12. qwerty

Sorry, I would develop RSI explaining all of those, plus would need to watch the show!

13. qwerty

And for anyone who doesn't understand this, "Little Creatures" is not the Talking Heads album, it is a beer from Freemantle, WA.
    VB is "Victorian Bitter", a leading Victorian beer. Probably has been mentioned in a Hunters and Collectors song, I'm sure they have sunk (aka consumed) a few in their day.

14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'm not sure that a Bloomin' Onion qualifies as "cultural education"! :sigh:

EggBreakfast, wrappedinsky and qwerty like this.
  15. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Can't stand Vegemite, Marmite is less severe!

16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

???

17. :agree: Hoorah! :)

Blank Frank and Linus like this.
  18. Linus

Linus Senior Member

....and it’s fantastic for cleaning the spark plug in your Victa 2 stroke!

19. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Men at Work "Down Under"

Travelin' in a fried out combie (What is a combie? is it the idea of caravan)

I think we all have learned what vegemite is by now, so don't need that help.

I love exercises like this... my favorite was sitting with people in San Francisco, one from Scotland broke down the lyrics to Brass In Pocket by the Pretenders.

"Got brass in pocket, got bottle and I'm gonna use it."

The Scottish friend, Jim, explained "Bottle is slang for confidence or swagger in Scotland. Chrissie Hynde and Pretenders would stay often in the UK. And when she sings "it's so reet." She is actually trying to say "It's so right" but in a Scottish accent..."

That and getting familiar with what the Detroit Lean was made me enjoy the song even more.

S. P. Honeybunch and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

You might start with explaining "Waltzing Matilda" and "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport".

21. A Combo or Kombi is a Volkswagen Van.

Popular with the hippie/Surfer culture back in the day.

vonwegen, BDC, vwestlife and 5 others like this.
  22. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

In german a Kombi is a station wagon/estate car.

vonwegen and wrappedinsky like this.
  23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

What is a cobber?

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

That Tommy Roe song still sounds weird to my Kiwi ears, as good as a song it is, because I knew the Australian expression long before I knew it was an actual name.

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.