Are there any good DACs for <3k that do streaming as well?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eb24, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Bubble UPNP will send Tidal to Pi, but don't tell the folks recommending 2k solutions above...

HenryFly and Brother_Rael like this.
  2. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I am curious to know. I have a Sonica DAC and can get Spotify by going to the Sonica app from my ipad, then going to the spotify app. But once the Sonica is connected to spotify, I can turn off the ipad and the Sonica still works! How does the Sonica get a Bluetooth or AptX from the ipad when the ipad is off?

EDIT: I checked the Oppo website and it appears Sonica has a Spotify Connect. So it appears the Sonica gets the spotify stream directly.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Agitater likes this.
  3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

That's great. I don't Spotify was in the beta firmware in the first model I auditioned. Very cool for Spotify subscribers. But it still doesn't address the OP's interest in a high-res stream from TIDAL.

murphythecat likes this.
  4. PATB

I think it does Tidal natively too (I have not tried; I have no Tidal service). The only two services on the Sonica app are Spotify and Tidal.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think that there may be technically measurable jitter 'issues' with basically every DAC on the market. Problem is, I also think that such issues are so astonishingly far below the threshold of audibility as to be fundamentally nonexistent for all audiophile music listening intents and purposes. Then again, if firmware that still contains some beta code escapes from the barn all sorts of bad things can sometimes be audible.

6. PATB

I compared the Sonica DAC to my Meridian G08 and AudioNote Kit DAC 4.1 LE (with black gates, NOS tubes, silver wires, etc.). I did not expect the Sonica DAC to have such wide dynamic range when fed with my CEC TL5 CD transport via coax. When I play Audiowave XRCD blue notes CDs on the Sonica, I get the same satisfaction listening to the same albums by Music Matters using my 2M Bronze/Nott Ace Spacedeck. The dynamic range is so much better compared to my Meridian and DAC 4.1 LE, that it is noticeable. I am actually thinking of getting another one!

I think digital sources are just getting better and better, and cheaper!.

7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The exact mesuremnts are detailed in this blog posting: Archimago's Musings: PREVIEW: Oppo Sonica DAC (Thanks Oppo for making it right... On the rationale for technical perfection.)

8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

They're not native. You have to launch the Tidal or Spotify app on your smartphone or tablet and then 'cast to the Oppo via its app. You're then subject to the vagaries of WiFi or AptX or Airplay. Blech.

PATB likes this.
  9. eb24

eb24 Active Member Thread Starter

What still isn't clear to me is if there is a sonic benefit of a direct/native connection e.g. via Spotify Connect.
    Views?

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

11. Slippers-on

Oh...if you haven't done so....you should ditch that stock power cord, I would suggest Wireworld Electra 7. Just an amazing power cable. And looking at the jitter from the Sonica in that link you provided, if you are going to be using the USB from a computer into the Sonica, may I suggest the iUSB 3.0 power and the WW USB 3.0 cable....that will take care of that jitter and other yuck. All these products takes the level up a few notches while cleaning up everything as well as regeneration of the signal and reclocking. But if you don't believe in such enhancements , I understand. But I use all these products as well as Fidelizer and the NA8005 is absolutely gorgeous as far as doing the music right!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The jitter measured in the article is the result of a firmware bug. No power cable or USB gizmo is going to change it.

13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I bought the Sonica because of the wireless capabilities, I rather like not having it hooked up to any computer equipment for playback. I was getting digital noise in my system when my NAS and modem/router where too close. I'll look into power cables in the near future...just added a decent power conditioner and need a few weeks to give it a listen.

Slippers-on likes this.
  14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I agree. The Marantz NA8005 is a sweet spot in the Marantz lineup. The control app needs an update or two, but it is nonetheless very usable too, IMO. For anyone who is interested solely in Spotify, DLNA/UPnP, Initernet radio and a well though out and good sounding DAC, the NA8005 is hard to beat at the price. The Cambridge CXN is the direct competitor, but IMO its WiFi implementation is not as good as the NA8005 and the DAC in the CXN is not as quite well implemented.

The sleepers in this thread are the Sonos Connect and the Bluesound Node 2. While their respective DACs aren't quite as good as the ones in the CXN and the NA8005. That said, the DACs in the Sonos and the Bluesound are definitely respectable. The Node 2 also offers a respectable headphone amp that will drive just about anything. The Sonos
    Connect and the Bluesound Node 2 also offer mature control apps that are more versatile and more configurable that the apps offered by Marantz and Cambridge. The Connect and the Node 2 are not often discussed in audiophile circles I think mainly because they're 'just' little, all-purpose boxes. But they shouldn't be ignored because Sonos and Bluesound have put a lot of effort into making excellent WiFi implementations, and put a lot of successful effort into analog output sound quality from their budget internal DACs, and put a lot of successful effort into device integration. As or more important, their TIDAL, Spotify, Deezer, and Qobuz implementations (among a dozen or more others) is excellent, Internet radio is excellent, and their DLNA/UPnP implementation is excellent. I use a Bluesound Node 2 to pass TIDAL and FLAC files on my NAS to a North Star Incanto DAC that feeds a vintage system (Yamaha CR2040, KEF Reference 104aB speakers), and I use a Sonos Connect to feed a Chord Chordette 2Qute in a small room system (Teac AI-501DA, Diapason Micra speakers). Wonderful sound from both systems.

A lot of audiophiles are somewhat uncomfortable about embracing any sort of gear that they think bears a mass consumer label. Admittedly, the Sono and Bluesound integrated DACs aren't up to the standard of a very long list of standalone DACs. But the Connect and the Node 2 are superb interfaces to everything digital audio, and they're very affordable. So what's the difference between the Simaudio Moon Ace and a Bluesound PowerNode 2 + North Star Incanto or Chord 2Qute DAC? The audio quality is essentially identical - that is to say superb from either system. But there is the fact that the PowerNode 2 + Incanto or 2Qute is about $1200 less expensive than the Ace or the Auralic Altair. Again though, if the OP wants a one-box solution of the highest quality at $3K or less, a two box solution won't do.

15. Slippers-on

Never said the power cord would change jitter....but the iFI....well read this and you decide. micro – iUSB3.0

16. Slippers-on

Understood.

17. PATB

I am not really sure what "native" entails. Like I said, I can turn off the tablet after waking up the Sonica DAC and connecting Spotify to it. That is, Sonica gets Spotify directly, and not through the tablet. The Sonica app is essentially just a remote for the Sonica DAC.

In any case, Spotify through the Sonica sounds good enough for my purposes (I only use Spotify to check out albums; my teenager primarily uses the account using his iphone).

18. Slippers-on

I like the way you think! Great quality audiophile sound by spending less money! And I never heard of Incanto DAC's until you mentioned it here. What a beautiful DAC! Thanks for speaking of it. Its now on my radar..who knows when one will be in the market for a nice upgrade!

19. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

North Star Design makes a variety of DACs and, lately, a brand new integrated amp. High end gear from the deep, broad and very well developed audio hardware industry in Italy.

Slippers-on likes this.
  20. eb24

Just found out about the Chord Poly
    Poly - Chord Electronics
    Seeing as I have a mojo already this could be a neat solution?

21. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I want one. Now.

Wonder what the price will be

22. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I might you know. I just might forego that expensive family holiday this year;)

23. ServingTheMusic

Staycation. :whistle:

24. eb24

499 GBP is the price for the Poly. Don't know in other currencies.
    Seems to be brand new so no one here will have tried it, no?

25. ServingTheMusic

I would love to know how it would compare to an iPhone or iPad with a DLNA streaming app.

The Chord does Roon, which makes it way cool.

NYMets41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.