Are there any movies better on DVD than Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Eric B., Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Shining review of the video here ( 4.5/5.0) :

The Truman Show arrives on Blu-ray in fantastic 1080p transfer. The film's original matted aspect ratio of 1.85:1 has been opened up for this release, allowing the film to fill the entire 1.78:1 frame that is native in 16:9 high definition televisions. Fear not, however, as opening the matte does not cause any valuable picture information to be lost. Having seen The Truman Show a number of times, I was immediately impressed with the video quality evident in this release. The film looks fresh and crisp and doesn't suffer from distracting dirt or residue. It's about as pristine as they come. Artifacts are also a non- issue. I didn't detect a trace of edge enhancement, compression issues, banding or noise. There is a small amount of grain present in the film that becomes more readily apparent in dark scenes, but it never approaches excessive levels. Because The Truman Show was shot with a purposefully warm look, skin tones can occasionally veer into orange territory. I don't think this is the fault of the transfer; rather, it seems to be intentional. In a comparison to the film's original DVD release, this Blu-ray edition is a clear upgrade featuring significantly improved and more saturated colors, vastly increased detail and much more pleasing contrast and black levels. The Truman Show looks spectacular on Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Truman-Show-Blu-ray/1813/#Review

2. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Blu-ray.com's reviews have on occasion been a bit ignorant about the particulars on certain films. Particularly early reviews on the site. Anyone remember the oh so glowing review of the original Patton BD despite the waxy complexion of the actors? The Truman Show is just another in a long line.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We all believe what we choose to believe.

10 screenshots so members like @audiomixer can decide for themselves : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Truman-Show-Blu-ray/1813/#Screenshots

Hi Fi Digest says : " Even more distressing is the fact that the image has been slightly stretched (ala Paramount's Blu-ray release of 'Event Horizon') to accommodate standard 16:9 widescreen televisions. While the resulting distortion isn't entirely evident in most shots (I didn't even notice it until some of our eagle-eyed readers mentioned it out on our message boards and pointed me towards side-by-side comparison screenshots), its presence will certainly rile anyone who realizes everything on the screen is a bit wider than it should be. I'm not sure why Paramount has suddenly started to release catalog titles with such troubling post-production alterations, but I can only hope it's a short lived phenomenon that will be resolved in the near future. "

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1821/trumanshow.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I believe that the Blu-ray of MARNIE is so bad that the DVD is preferable. The BD is grainy in the extreme.

Jimmy B. and wayneklein like this.
  5. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

blu-ray.com's review of the original My Fair Lady BD:

"My Fair Lady's extravagant sets and costumes often sparkle on Blu-ray. Colors are quite gorgeous and stand out as the transfer's best asset. From the opening shot of well-dressed socialites leaving the opera forward, the transfer yields sparkling hues, generally well-balanced and harmonious, looking as exquisitely natural as ever. Even the bright white social circle scenes and the very warm interior of Higgins' office offer stability and evenness. Black levels are strong throughout, even as dark suits and black carriages bump up against shadowy backgrounds at film's open. Fine detail is strong, but not perfect. Faces and clothes, of course mainstays of Blu-ray visual efficiency, look quite good, but so too do everything from Eliza's wicker flower basket to brick façades, wooden textures, and even dirt on the ground, all of which are presented with a natural, almost tactile appearance."​

Film restoration expert Robert Harris's take on the original My Fair Lady BD:

"Without a doubt, the worst Blu-ray of 2011." (bold in original)

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

What do you do if your old DVD has nice packaging that the blu-ray? I mean...like "Se7en", for instance.....do I really just toss this cool package away and replace it with the plain-Jane blu-ray case? Or should I put the blu-ray in the old DVD case? And if I do that, how will people know I upgraded to the blu-ray? And what about my shelf? Should it be a mish-mash of multiple formats?!? And what if the DVD came with an informative booklet? Fold it and shove it in the blu-ray case? And these lobby cards that came with "Poseidon Adventure"...what the hell do I do with these?!?!?!?

Back on track....I think the Criterion DVD of "Do Tha Right Thing" is better than the blu because it uses the proper color palate..... this is an orange movie....because it's HOT.

Rocker, Drifter and Al Kuenster like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Before I chucked my vhs in the trash, I watched a couple movies -- and still got sucked in and loved them. I still contend it's the story, characters, and direction that make a movie great, not what resolution they're portrayed at. I have no problem enjoying "Jaws" even washed out and blurry.

somnar, Rocker, dkmonroe and 2 others like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I understand where you are coming from, but i cannot enjoy a widescreen movie in Pan & Scan on a VHS tape...

Rocker and Drifter like this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Wow, I was not aware of this - I hadn't seen the Blu-ray before, but looking at the screencaps on DVD Beaver for both discs, the colors used for the Criterion DVD look a lot closer to my recollection of the theatrical release (with the usual caveats that go with trying to rely on one's memory of a screening that was more than 25 years ago, viewing screencaps on an uncalibrated monitor, etc.).

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/do_the_right_thing_blu-ray.htm

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

keep them...

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  11. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I agree..one of my all time favorites when originally screened in Cinerama, and one of the few offerings that actually takes advantage of the blu ray format. For me the Smile Box edition captures the spirit of that medium (however flawed it was)..fabulous restoration, great color, sharp as a tack and stupendous remixed soundtrack..... and I don't give a rat's a.. about vertical lines, outer panel distortion, not real Cinerama, or any other fault some may find in this presentation.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  12. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Casablanca, as you probably know, was released twice by Warners on Bluy Ray...each receiving 5 star reviews..
    I like them both. The first was restored from the carefully stored safety element (OCN had taken a beating)
    to look like it was made yesterday (and it does) and the 2nd, the same safety element offers a more film like appearance (spot on), thereby, I would hope, pleasing almost everybody....one of our greatest films ever!!

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  13. HGN2001

Which one is this?
    [​IMG]

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

15. HGN2001

Thanks. It says 2009 on it. I'm seeing all sorts of dates: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and nothing on Amazon resembles my copy - nor is there any image like that on Blu-ray.com.

16. Oatsdad

The original BD release was 2008 and that disc was used for subsequent repackagings - including one in 2009.

"Casablanca" didn't get a new transfer until 2012 - any BDs that came out before that used the 2008 transfer.

Could you post a pic of your copy?

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Aw man, I can still remember the sweet innocence of watching VHS and not even being aware of the picture quality imperfections. It doesn't even seem that long ago. :laugh:

18. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

The light cover disc in your post is the 2008 edition. It was originally part of a large set, but they eventually released just the disc by itself in 2009. This was the original package:
    Casablanca Blu-ray »

The newer remastered disc that came out in 2012 is the 70th Anniversary edition and has a black cover.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XF4J7...e=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B007XF4J70

Edit: it looks like Oatsdad beat me to the punch.

19. HGN2001

That IS the disc that I have. I think the mystery is that it was a later standalone disc of the 2008 vintage in the 2009 package, and no longer readily available since the 70th. Thanks guys.

I'm happy with that 2009 issue. It looks magnificent on my TV and that's good enough for me.

20. Oatsdad

While I do prefer the 2012 transfer, I can't claim it trounces the 2008 disc. It just looks more natural to me, but the 2008 disc is good, too!

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

To me, a movie like Almost Famous is pretty much the same movie on Blu-ray as DVD. I did buy the Bootleg cut, I liked the editing.

Compared to the Director's cut of Blade Runner, they took a nice tightly edited movie, and drug it out to the point that I can not watch it.

Eric B. likes this.
  22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Dunno, but anything shot on 16mm or less wouldn't be any better on Blu-ray, IMO.

driverdrummer and Eric B. like this.
  23. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

For one, The Evil Dead would disagree with you. Big time!

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

As long as the blu ray is not cut /edited I'm fine with it. If I have to chose between a DVD and BD,unless it's a film I'm going to watch repeatedly I'll get the blu, otherwise a 50 cent DVD will do.

Eric B. likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I agree. I bought Tomorrowland on DVD because it was a lot less than the Blu-ray. I thought the DVD looked fine. I could not find fault with the audio either. I've had more issues with temperamental Blu-rays, a lot more issues.

It all goes back to the mastering process. Audio or video can sound and look good without being a some maximum resolution, it it is done right.

driverdrummer and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.