Are there any movies made for adults anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

All of these ridiculous comic strip and cartoonish movies now. I mean they're great...if you're 10. But are there any films made without special effects anymore?

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Those poor 'adult-film' stars...
    :shh::laugh:

carrick doone, Sean and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

There definitely are, but you have to really look for them. Just a very small sample from the last few years (and these may not appeal to you, but they definitely are for adults):
    First Reformed
    Moonlight
    The Seagull
    The Florida Project
    The Post
    Call Me By Your Name
    Dunkirk
    Spotlight
    Lincoln
    Wind River
    etc. etc.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Phantom Thread!

Jazzmonkie, MRamble and Splungeworthy like this.
  5. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

So a mystery or drama with just good story telling aye? Heck of an idea.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Are you serious? Or just a serious troll?

And, you think these theoretical films don't exist just because somebody in Hollywood asked Robert Downey Jr. to suit up again...?

Dude - you say you're in Long Island. That's kinda adjacent to one of the Centers Of Civilization on the planet. Are you telling me you don't know where your local arts cinema is?

Hey, here's a thought - as soon as you're done sticking your head in the sand here, mosey on up to the Music area, and start a thread about how nobody cares about The Beatles anymore, because nobody's walked up to you all day to ask when the next George Harrison album is coming out. They LOVE that crap up there.

The last movie I saw in a theater was just last week. It was about a woman coming home on the occasion of the death of her father...the Rabbi. Where she meets up with her two best friends, one of which is now angling to become the new Rabbi, and the other had married him. And, because she left her community behind, the church had made moves to take her assumedly-inherited house away from her. And then...well, let's just say, this is a little gem of a film bout undercurrents and relationships and the most shocking thing in it...was not that Deadpool wasn't in it.

James, I see films with this much depth and reality that strike hard into the human condition...every week. And I live in Harrisburg. Where we only have ONE arts cinema.

If you can't find grown-up cinema in New Jersey - and with obvious access to The Freakin' Internet - you just aren't looking hard enough. Or smart enough.

BeatleJWOL, Chris DeVoe and smilin ed like this.
  7. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw Lincoln and Dunkirk. Both very good.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Yes there are films made for adults but they don't show them in regular theaters.

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

:laughup:
    Or be like me and proclaim in a Beatles Thread that the Best Band from Liverpool is Echo & the Bunnymen. Or state that my Favorite Beatles Albums are 'Definitely, Maybe' & 'What's The Story(Morning Glory).

Karnak likes this.
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Sony Pictures Classics reliably release the adult movies that you’re looking for.

Sometimes there’s subtitles, (which kids are usually adverse to watching) -

However,
    None of the movies star guys running around “in long underwear”.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Just because a movie might have sfx does not automatically mean that it's made for 10 year olds (and the majority of movies do have sfx that you don't even notice). You can have sfx and still have great storytelling, characters and logical, self-consistent plotlines.

Billy Infinity and EdgardV like this.
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

I think post #6 is the equivalent of a thread closure !

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Read this book:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Picture-Fight-Future-Movies/dp/0544789768

It explains all the reasons why huge blockbuster films, sequels, remakes, reboots, comic book movies, and epic action films seem to have pushed out small "adult" dramas, comedies, mysteries, historical films, romances, documentaries, and other genres from theaters. I'm almost through reading it and it's a remarkable book that explains a lot... including quite a bit on where movie profits come from and the many reasons why a lot of mainstream films make no money.

Rufus McDufus and EdgardV like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A handful of good, artistic films do exist, but they're getting harder and harder to find. Mass-market theaters don't want to run them. Important filmmakers (I would include Spielberg and Scorsese in that group) have trouble getting mid-budget $20 million-$50 million films financed. Mass audiences seem to gravitate more towards blockbusters than any other kind of film. It seems like the best "serious" movie ideas are now moving towards cable, streaming, and other non-theatrical venues.

I've often pointed out that when we worked on Open Range (a historical Western from about 15 years ago), there's 166 visual effects shots in that film. But they're very, very hard to spot. I think great visual effects do enhance the story, but then you have something like Fast & Furious where the unrelenting CGI and VFX just pound the reality out of the movie to the point where it's just a live-action cartoon. A lot of movies are kind of turning into that these days.

I haven't worked on a movie in 10 years where we haven't had to go in and remove boom mikes, lights, set edges, dolly tracks, and similar problems. So that's a necessary part of modern filmmaking. What does get worrying to me is the amount of marginal green screen and obvious CGI (particularly backgrounds) where there's a very "plastic" feel going on. There's less and less resemblance to the real world. I would compare it to AutoTune in modern pop music, where everything is so overhyped and overprocessed, there's no similarity to the human voice anymore. That stuff is hard for me to listen to, because I wince at the distortion and the artifice of the whole thing. Some movies cross a line where that happens there as well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    JM Jones, Karnak and Pete Puma like this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Open Range was a terrific movie!

moops likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Same here. That's why I've decided to look at movies from yesteryear and today's independent films instead.

17. MorrisonsLament

MorrisonsLament Active Member

I solved the problem by watching TV series from all sources.
    I very rarely watch movies anymore because they got so bad.

James Slattery and Deesky like this.
  18. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I know it's this way in the United States of Dumb, but it can't be as bad elsewhere in the world. I can see serious movies at 2 art houses, but they are both a long drive. Meanwhile they'll show the same super hero movie in 4 different theaters in the same multiplex: 2D, 3D, D-Box and Imax. You've got to keep it loud and moving, with not too much emphasis on dialogue (which is drivel anyway), to keep people from losing interest and going back to their phones. Wow, how condescending was all that?:laugh:

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.