are there high end turntables ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ere, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ere

Ere Senior Member Thread Starter

that are manual and not automatic? i.e., that you have to manually remove the tone arm from at the end of the disc?

Ken

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I think almost all high-end turntables are manual.

All the best - Andrew

3. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

True, there may be a few semi-automatic (which pick the arm up at the end of the disc), but almost all are manual. I do like the semi-automatic feature though, I don't know how many times I've fallen asleep listening to a record only to awake hours later to find the stylus still riding in the lead-out groove.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

If by HE TT's you mean Linn, VPI, Clearaudio etc. they are all manual.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Re: Re: are there high end turntables ...

Indeed they are, as far as I know. Many of the people who own these use a device called The Lifter (I believe they sell them on Ebay, don't quote me on that though) which as its name says lifts the tonearm when it reaches the end of a side (of course the motor is never turned off).

Then there's Teres, which IIRC have some kind of timer in the power supply to their motor so that 45 minutes after starting it'll stop, which is more than enough not to cut before a side ends and a sensible approach too.

Cheers

6. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Ere,
    I think that a lot of us would consider high end turntables and automation mutually exclusive. What I mean is I do not know of any high quality arms that are anything but manual. Besides not wanting to stack records atop each other, every additional lp would change the VTA(vertical tracking angle) and a lot of cartridges are very sensitive to changes. Plus the cost to include automation could be spent elsewhere (better motor, arm, bearings, power supply) for something most of us would never use.

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Ken:
    If you want to roll by the house and see the Rega in action you're always welcome. Our boy bencanas has the one you want to see though
    Check Sound Works in Kensington MD too!
    Best-
    Norm

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys. I needed to confirm this for the 'Story Creativity' thread:)

And yes, Norm, we need to have a DC-VA-MD members libation/listening session soon!

Ken

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Didn't Audio Technica once sell a little device that lifted a tonearm at the end of a side? This would have been early 80's. I'd really like to get one for my good turntable (Denon w/ Grace arm)...even tonight, I dozed off and the LP was spinning for a good 10 minutes before I turned it off.

10. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

http://www.expressimoaudio.com/lift/lift.html

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Nice lifter! The budget model would probably work for me.

The Audio Technica was made more out of wire. My cousin had it lifting his SME tonearm.

12. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I had this device with my Philips GA212 turntable more than 20 years ago. It worked very well. The only difference between the two devices (in the link given above) is the finish. I suggest you get the cheaper one and spend the extra $40 on records.

Just my $.02

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Re: Re: Re: are there high end turntables ...

A friend has / had a "Raiser" that raised the tone arm.

It worked some of the time.... :eek:

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It would be nice if you'd let Ken listen to it, too, ya know.....

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.