Are there Internet Radio Stations which are still playing vinyl/records on air ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolf66, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolf66

wolf66 New Member Thread Starter

Was just wondering if there were such stations still existing or does each and every internet radio station play exclusively digital media ?

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Obviously, someone would have to have asked each and every one to know the unknowable answer to your question. Few Internet stations I've heard are broadcasting in real time anyway, so all of that is coming off of a hard disk somewhere. Those that are in real time (usually Internet streaming versions of Actual Radio stations) may have a show or two where records are played - depends on their programming. But what possible difference would it make?

3. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

3wk.com

Plays music from vinyl sources.

downer likes this.
  5. wolf66

6. wolf66

Sorry for asking :rolleyes:

typicalrecords likes this.
  7. wolf66

Will check it out - thanks a lot :thumbsup:

8. wolf66

Playing it now - definitely vinyl - Captain Beefheart :goodie:

Now the Amboy Dukes - Journey to the center .... - sounds a bit rough, but I really like it ....

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Thanks for asking!

I like to find "live" internet stations to listen to...

10. wolf66

Both stations are bookmarked - Thanks guys !

11. GroovinGarrett

You're welcome! Don't be sorry for asking.

I can tell you this much about Top Shelf---I know one of the regular hosts personally, and while most of what you are hearing is time-shifted and being broadcast from hard disk or CD-R, a majority of that music was dubbed to those digital storage formats from original vinyl sources. :thumbsup:

12. I run Lost Planet Radio via Live365. While most of the time it's a stream of digital files, I do quite a few live shows and the turntables (2 of 'em) are always in the mix. Some shows are specifically vinyl oriented. My motto during those shows if "if it isn't on an actual record, it's not going to be played".
    The station website is Lost Planet Radio.
    If there's a specific live show that I think would be of interest to people on the forum, I post to the "internet radio stations by forum members" thread.
    It's right here... http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=177599&highlight=internet+radio

-Bill

13. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

WXRT actually plays a song or two in the afternoon everyday from vinyl - while not much, at least they are still playing some here in Chicago.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

SOme shows on BBC6 Music 6 have vinyl played. Mainly stuff not available on CD though.

15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

A number of DJs on WFMU ONLY play vinyl.

troggy likes this.
  16. The local Public Radio station has select deejays who play vinyl out of their own collection.
    One show's host is a serious Erroll Garner nut, and when he plays Garner it is often from vinyl.

Here is the aforementioned jazz deejay from the WABE website.

17. Thx for the link Garrett.
    (sure wish the stream was better fidelity but the tunes are as rare as they get)

Nice LR Avatar! You bought that while in my store Saturday, did you not?

Attached Files:

18. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Most community/college stations still play a decent amount of vinyl (well depending on the show) and I know a lot of the ones I like are online...hell I play them through my squeezebox from time to time.

905 likes this.
  19. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

107.7 The Bone SF,ca has Classic Vinyl in the mornings

20. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

4ZZZ 102.1fm Brisbane does live streaming, and plays vinyl regularly (at least all the time the turntable's working)

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When it gets compressed to hell as streaming media, are you really going to be able to tell it's from vinyl?

I have yet to hear any streaming internet radio stations that sound good.

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Yeah you can still hears scratches and stuff and the odd noises that one doesnt expect to hear on radio at all.

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

wrpi in troy ny still plays some. then again, they play just about anything they want.

http://www.wrpi.org/

24. GroovinGarrett

Sure did. :thumbsup:

Try the Winamp or Windows Media link for "cable/DSL". The sound quality is compressed, but passable.

25. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I also highly recommend that station. They're doing an awesome job and have introduced me to artists I've never heard before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.