Are there Internet Radio Stations which are still playing vinyl/records on air ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolf66, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm glad you like 3wk.com.

They were really influential on me as far as discovering obscure acts (and not so obscure acts) such as Utopia and Al Kooper (just as examples).

They play stuff that most people don't know exists from the 60s and 70s...they go DEEP, which is what I love.

For a list of their artists, go here:

http://3wk.com/artists.php?station=classic

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Airstream FM, with a traditional easy listening/beautiful music format, sources many of its tracks from vinyl.

3. A quick note that I'll be streaming a live special high quality radio stream tonight starting at 5:30 pm EDT (21:30 GMT) for about 2 hours. Only vinyl/records will be played and the audio going into the stream will be uncompressed. (Means I'll have to watch the levels!)
    Some of the records I'll be playing are on my "cool vinyl" site.
    The special direct stream requires a small player download and details and how to listen are at The Lost Planet Radio Special HQ Stream site.
    Feel free to listen in and email me how the station sounds.

Happy listening!

-Bill

4. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

The Academy Records show on East Village Radio is all vinyl.

5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Very cool! Thanks for the links!

6. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

7. Greetings again!

I'll be playing a lot of vinyl on Lost Planet Radio's Ustream channel today (June 18, 2011) from 7-9 pm EDT. In fact, you can SEE the vinyl while it's playing during the show!
    The show will be live and there will be chat on the Ustream site during the show. (7-9 pm EDT is 23:00-01:00 GMT)
    The audio will not be limited/compressed before becoming a digital stream, for those that wonder. The show will be "Retro Radio" and feature vinyl, a lot of '80s-today music, but will be a variety - so anything goes!

The Ustream link is:
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/lost-planet-radio

Enjoy!
    -Bill

8. Greetings!

A quick note that I'll be playing mostly vinyl again on my variety show tonight (Tue. Aug. 2, 2011) from 7-9 pm EDT (23:00-01:00 UT) on the new Livestream channel of Lost Planet Radio.
    There will be live chat during the show and suggestions are welcome.
    The NEW link to listen/view is: http://radio.thelostplanet.net/lprchat.html

Happy listening!

-Bill

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Curious - if the board is full of vinyl-lovers extolling the virtues of analog over digital...what would be the point in converting an analog playback into a digital signal, then having the temerity to brag about it? Unless it's a choice of vinyl for a perceived benefit in a superior mastering, um, why isn't this just another excuse for the vinyl-purists out there to bemoan the digital signal itself, and going into the logical tirades of "over-the-air-beats webcasting"? :confused:

Now, I can see the benefit of offering the listener something that's not found on CD, but...why isn't this seen as cutting off your nose to spite your face...?

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Mirror

10. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Yup. WORT 89.9 FM in Madison, WI streams at a decent 128 kbps and I know they have a large record library and that several DJs still spin vinyl. Also, it's just a great station, period! Highly recommended. http://www.wort-fm.org/listen.php

11. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Dude. Chill. Sometimes it's just cool to know you're hearing something from an old slab of vinyl. Kind of a throwback to the old days. Don't assume the question was motivated by sound quality issues.

And with 128 kbps done right, it sounds about what a decent FM signal sounds like, and you can hear clicks & pops no problemo especially if it's your typical battered record library vinyl played on a somewhat worn needle...

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Exactly. What's the point of playing vinyl; when one cannot hear the benefits on the 'net?

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's snap crackle pop that people like.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk Pro

14. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

This is a good thread. I don't know how common this is, but I listen to a lot of college FM radio here in the Bay Area, and most of those stations still play some vinyl. I listen to KSCU and KFJC the most since they are both good and within range.

15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

you mean the Academy Records store?

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I am not your "dude", and I have no need to further "chill". I was merely asking a legitimate question. So many on this board seem so mesmerized with the notion of hearing something from an old slab of vinyl, they appear willing to twist their logic into pretzels to elevate the needle-drop into Divinity; so, I was struck by the incongruity of their desire to hear it through the very digital process of which they diss when referring to playback via the CD. :winkgrin:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Karla Bonoff - New World

17. Greetings!
    Happy thanksgiving to all in the U.S. and happy Thursday (or Friday) elsewhere!
    I will be playing a lot of vinyl on Lost Planet Radio's Livestream channel tonight (11/24/11) starting at 6 pm EST (23:00 GMT). Yes, obviously it will be converted to streaming digital - 'cause I can't be there at your place of listening spinning it on your turntable! :sigh:
    But I have been told the stream sounds pretty good (again, it IS streaming) and you can see me doing all the manual labor - while you sit there and listen. (I am having fun, really! :D )
    The show will feature a variety of music and will include CD, digital and tape at times, but much of the music will be from vinyl.
    Feel free to listen/view and even join live chat during the show!
    The link is: http://radio.thelostplanet.net/lprchat.html or just go to www.livestream.com and search for "Lost Planet Radio".
    Happy listening!

-Bill

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Yes, wwoz - New Orleans Jazz.

19. glea

glea Forum Resident

I have plugged my radio show here before. KGLT is a terrestrial station here in Bozeman and SW Montana. We stream live at kglt.net. I host my own archive. You can Listen Here and my play lists are posted as well. A few years ago I was just about the only one who played records. Now quite a few djs play vinyl. The station's collection is large, but not very complete, or well taken care of. I haul up about 40 albums and a dozen singles, plus cds for my shows. CDs are easier to carry, but sometimes I only have it on wax, or I just need to play the "correct" version. The sound of a single can't be beat. For my Fund Drive shows, I do Swinging Singles Parties. A box of 45's to spin. Makes for a fast moving, varied show.

It's all about the music, but there is a good feel when you drop a record on the TT. Don't get that from playing songs off your iPod, which some do....

Attached Files:

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Various shows on BBC Radio 2 play vinyl, in fact there are some shows where some vinyl is played in every day.

21. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Mr. Hand will live forever.

[​IMG]

23. I have some vinyl that I play on-air, as well as some material from cassettes. I've just transitioned to Mixcloud and have just one show up right now, but am uploading another as this is written.

http://www.mixcloud.com/KevinJ1966/

The music is from all oldies genres (rock, pop, soul, R&B, C&W, and whatever else I can fit in) from 1954 or so to the early 1980s.

24. Greetings again!
    I'll be doing a live show on Lost Planet Radio again tonight. (Dec. 3, 2011) Starting at 7 pm EST (0:00 UT). It'll be a variety show with lots of vinyl playing - although I do play digital, CD and tape as well. The variety show will be about 2 hrs. Feel free to listen in and join live chat, too. The live stream will be on Livestream and the station link is:
    http://radio.thelostplanet.net/lprchat.html
    For those interested, the turntables used are a Tech 1200MK2 and modified Stanton ST100.
    Happy listening!

-Bill

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Both KPFA and KFSR have internet streaming. Both have shows where vinyl is played. Both happen to be listener-sponsored stations in California.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.