Are these the "good" Advent loudspeakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kurtphyre, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

I'm just wondering if these are the good older Advent loudspeakers that some people on here rave about.

Attached Files:

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Looks like it!

Is that a 3 position tweeter switch in the back?

3. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

Yes it is. What exactly does it do?

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is there anything that says "The Large Advent Loudspeaker" or "The Small Advent Loudspeaker"?

5. Yes. Those are the "Large Advent" speakers which sound great--especially when two pairs are stacked on top of each other, tweeter to tweeter.

My pair of Large Advent's has two orange "fried egg" tweeters. I wonder why one of yours is green? Maybe it was a later replacement?

6. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

Sweet set of speakers! I have only heard them stacked, and they sounded very good.

7. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

I have a set of these on my bench to re-foam the woofers.

Yes, those are "The Advent Loudspeaker" of 1970's fame. Has a 10" cone woofer on a 12" stamped steel frame basket. Good Acoustic Suspension woofer. I have 2 of those woofers about to get new foam on my workbench. I have the "fried-egg" tweeters and standard vinyl covered enclosures. They do have a 3-position toggle switch for tweeter level control on rear. Stacked in a 4-unit array is a terrific way to hear great sound on a low budget. (around $250.0 to $300.00 per refurbished quad.) Among the best value in Hi-Fi performance of speakers to be obtained fairly easily. They really "open-up" in sound dynamics when each system is not required to push too hard by itself. Seems to provide a "punch" not found in standard Advent configurations. Gets the air to move without much effort on the drivers. So, low distortion at listening levels usually not found in Acoustic Suspension designs. Highly recommended. Rolf E.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Like Rolf said, it's a level control.

I guess if a CD's too bright, you can reduce the treble. Or enhance it if it's too dull.

I never bothered with the switch as I kept forgetting to put it back to "neutral". :)

Enjoy!

9. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

Very cool thread. I have a pair of the Large that I've never heard. They need new surrounds. I guess I'll have to find some now :).

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have lots of speakers in my house, newer speakers too.

the Adevnts are the best all around speaker you can listen to. I love mine!!!

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Formidable bass, and a "big" image. Great speakers, although to get their old smoothness you might consider replacing the caps in the crossover; they can sound a bit "spiky" in the mids-highs after 30 years or so.

12. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Nice speakers, those bring back memories....

Sold a lot of em back in the retailing days!!

Enjoy.

13. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Those tweeters are amazing. They have a sweet, clean sound.

They seem to get up nice and high, smoothly and easily without being sibilant or with harsh distortion. For the price, an amazing achievment in tweeterdom. You have to spend a lot more to better this tweeter, in the hundreds usually, for a new tweeter to get much better sound than these "Fried-Eggies"..
    I have used these speakers for a while in a video theater setup, and the dialog was super clear and sparkly... The music sounded very good, and even effects came off well.... Buy these speakers... if you have not already.. Pay between $100.00 and $150.00 the pair, delivered. Rolf E.

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

or hit the salvation army and pay $20 for a pair. :)

takes a while, but they do pop up. mine are the walnut original pair.

15. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Yes, this can happen, but you might wait several years. I keep looking in my SA/Goodwill place and only once in 3 years of stopping by, found a DECENT set of speakers there. TSW-?'s AR's. The rest are always "El Cheapo" firewood specials. Most are part of whole "rack-systems" sold alltogether and made of the cheapest and worst sounding parts you ever encountered. Not even worth the $5.00 asking price.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

guess I got lucky. started 6 months ago going there and 1 month in I found a pair.

found a lot of good speakers there.

17. Don C

Don C Member

Those are the utility type cabinets. One has a green tweeter, the other orange. I think that the green is from a smaller Advent. If remove the tweeter, some of them have SAL or AL scrawled on the back.

18. loomis

loomis Forum Resident

Great speakers. Yes those are the ones. Those are the "utility" cabinets. The only thing that you could do better is get the deluxe cabinet versions. They bring more money. But they sound the same.

You should note that that everyone re-surrounds these wrong. And yours are wrong too. The surronds should be backwards, so that the rounded part goes inward.

19. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Two types of Advent woofers, with different surrounds mountings.

I must beg to differ. The model you may have in mind is the early variant woofer supplied with this speaker. (the same woofer used by other brands of speakers like the Dahlquist DQ-10) It uses a fiber phenolic "ring" which adapts the larger 12" basket frame to use the smaller 10" cone. This one must be assembled with the "Inverted-Roll" or "reverse" inward roll mounting method.

The later variant with all-steel basket discussed here, shown in photos above, without the adapter-ring in place uses the "Normal-Roll" of outward mounting of the half-roll on the surround. In this case above, they are done correctly. I have done re-surround work on both types and I do them the same way I find that the speaker system maker did it.

Dino likes this.
  20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Rolf is right.

21. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

But you live in New England where these speakers basically grew on trees back in the early 70's. :)

22. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

For the summer I worked at tech HiFi I always listened to our pair of double Advents driven by a Phase Linear 700B amplifier.

Double Advents were probably the first great sonic recommendation of TAS.

23. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I have a double stack, but have them stacked "normal." Does it really add to the flavor if they're stacked tweeter-to-tweeter? No guesses, please, I need a response from someone who has actually heard the difference.

24. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The imaging will be better stacked tweeter to tweeter.

The upper, more directional, frequencies will be coming from a more "centralized" place rather than from two distict places (the top and bottom of the stack).

25. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. It just looks "funny."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.