Are these the "good" Advent loudspeakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kurtphyre, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

this is true! :)

a sea of advents, epi's.....etc etc. :)

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

I remember hearing a Bob Marley lp with a mid-range reciever and large Advents in the early 1980s. I was blown away by the sound of them.

3. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Do ya' think. :eek:

I read his explanation and my head started spinning.

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

lol.....

I know from personal experience and re-foaming these speakers.

5. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep Thread Starter

So these are teh Henry Closs (sp) original Advents? Why does one have a green tweeter?

Also...how much would a professional charge to put new woofers and tweeters in this thing to make it sound like it did back in 1980?

6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

didnt the smaller advents come with the green tweeter ?

I think someone replaced the tweet from a later advent.

7. kurtphyre

How do you stack these tweeter-to-tweeter? Does that meant you actually face 2 of them together?

I'm also thinking about getting a 2nd set now. What should I look for when buying another pair? Also, how much should refoaming a pair cost?

8. 926am

926am Senior Member

one on TOP of the other, the top speaker being upside down.

9. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Here's a pretty good article on them...I also like the commentary.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/30thAnniversary/143_double_advent.html

If you like the sound of the Advents, do some research on KLH models.

The Model 23 goes good with the Advents, they're pretty friggin' good all by themselves for that matter.

10. Russ

Russ Outlaw

What's wrong with them? Do they need repair? Forum member Rolf (he's posted in this thread) can help you with new surrounds and tech support.

11. Not possible to get "new" drivers since the fried-egg tweeter and the big cellulose woofer are no longer being made. However, as posted before, it is possible to re-foam the woofer. There are DIY kits available so you can do this yourself. If the tweeters are shot (which is possible as they are made out of some sort of dry, crumbly styrofoam material), you can get functional replacements from somewhere like eBay, probably pulls and not NOS.

12. kurtphyre

I'm driving to a speaker shop Saturday where a guy will sell me another pair for $70. He says they have recently been refoamed but he isn't a speaker/Advent expert. Is a pair of these worth $70?

What should I look for when checking them out? Any areas I need to pay special attention too?

Also, how do you setup 2 pairs of these to listen to stereo music? I also need to buy a good vintage stereo receiver to go with these nicely; I'd rather not spend more than $100. Any recommendations?

13. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Yes, buy them for $70.00, a good deal if new foam is done correctly.

.. This $70.00/pair is a very fair price if the new foam job is done properly and the rest of the systems is working as designed. You can't go wrong here.

.. I have seen "stacks" done horizontaly with both tweeters above each other, and the opposite. And "stacks" done vertically both with tweeters apart and together. They were all in different rooms and with different amps and sources, but I liked the set-up best with horizontal-same position tweeters. But with a different room and other gear might I have chosen another config. Try them all to see what works for your ears. I personally will use the Horz-Same config. I also feel this is a more gravitationaly stable config. which is improtant in EARTHQUAKE TERRITORY! I live in Los Angeles.

Once again, I will say that a stacked quad of Advents Large, (Other classic speakers work well here also, KLH was mentioned, also good) will provide some of the best sound for the buck you will ever experience, get ready to smile.... Enjoy.

14. kurtphyre

Should I expect more natural sound (from music) from these than my Athena AS-F2s? I plan to use the Advents only for music (CDs and vinyl) and use my Athena's for surround sound.

15. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Can't answer that.

Don't know... Never heard Athena speakers, never A-B'd them with stacked Advent's even if I had heard them somewhere else, what is "natural" anyway? Could mean many things to many different people. I might think it's more natural to have speakers that can play music with huge live-like dynamics without distortion or compression of levels during peaks, another might think it's more natural to hear nuanced midrange during low passages?

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Yes!!! absolutely.

I own Paradigms as I mentioned and they are cold, sometimes harsh and bright. but they sound good. :)

the advents were tuned by ear when they were made. this is why they sound so natural.

only you can say for sure but as you can see from two recent threads, there has to be a reason so many people like them. they are very easy to listen to. I would highly doubt the athenas would do as well as the Original advents with cd music.

there are different versions and hear they sound different. but have heard the originals are the ones to get. I was blown away when I first heard a pair. as well as as they sound with cd's, they sound even better on vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.