Are Variation A Mono UK 1st Pressings Of A Hard Day’s Night Very Rare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by William Bush, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Bush

William Bush Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased a beautiful copy of A Hard Day’s Night-The Beatles. From my research I know that it is a Variation A UK 1st Pressing. Garrod and Lofthouse sleeve so not the rarest out of the 2 types of sleeves. I know stereo copy’s are Rae but what about mono? Are these vary rare to find in excellent condition and what would the price range of this record?

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A Hard Day's Night was a huge seller and mono was far more popular than stereo in the UK then. Original stereo copies are far rarer. Even though a lot of them were sold the majority of them were played a lot and very few have survived all this time in near perfect condition. Many are very worn and scratched. It's hard to put a price on it, but the demand is and always will be high for any original Beatles records in near mint condition. It is definitely a valuable record.

3. William Bush

Thanks for the info:)

4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

well the sleeves are hard to find in Excellent condition but the vinyl isn't, they are literally two a penny, variation A i suspect you mean the chubby font style copy ( i do not have the spizer book ) and this is the most common of the common, other styles are less common but only a few are really rare, some of the 65-69 labels for example.

But it's the jackets that are hard to find in EX or better order, I'd value an EX jacket over an ex vinyl since a ex disc is so easy to source, there are some rarity to some of the jackets too, there are two types of EJ Day sleeves, both are rarer than the Garrod but the earliest " paper " flipback ej day sleeve is really hard to find in anything like decent condition as they are so flimsy, slightly later card flip e j day sleeves survive better as they are similar in robustness to the garrods.

5. William Bush

The sleeve is in excellent condition apart from one small crease in the top left corner.

6. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I have a stereo UK flipback AHDN sleeve that is PRISTINE. Just beautiful to look at. The record within is a decent condition Dutch stereo AHDN LP, unfortunately.

William Bush likes this.
  7. William Bush

The inner sleeve is not an EMITEX sleeve. I have done some research and I think it may be a Decca sleeve from a stones record but I’m not sure.

In the bottom left corner it says made in england on in the top right it says.
    Handling
    Handle with care
    Avoid touching playing surface
    Keep away from dust and heat
    Replace the record in this container
    Immediately after use
    Store in an even, moderate temperature.

It then has stars going through the middle

In the bottom right it says

Playing
    This record must be played only on equipment which includes
    A turntable revolver at 33,1/3 rpm constant speed
    The playing weight of the reproducing head should be related to the radius of the stylus and the top mass of the pick up
    To prevent undue record west we recommend that the pick up manufacturers playing weight be maintained
    A sapphire or diamond stylus having a tip radius of from 0005 inch to 001 inch.
    Sapphires should be examined for wear after approximately 100 playings.
    Avoid dropping the pick up on the record or motor board
    A worn or chipped stylus may damage your records permanently and will certainly impair the quality of their reproduction.

It also says British patent No. 800513
    Foreign patents pending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.