Are you a fan of "Production Music"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Splungeworthy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love production music that's supposed to be instrumental teen dance music used in the 50's and 60's.

Here's one from the Leave It To Beaver episode where Beaver joins a record club.

nick99nack and minibreakfast like this.
  2. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

André Popp is one of my other faves, of course :) (Although I don't think he was active as a library music composer)

Churm Rincewind likes this.
  3. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

Splungeworthy likes this.
  4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

cubbykat and willy like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

6. Dillydipper

Golly, that's neat-o!

I always liked when musical guests got shoved into a sitcom back in the '60s, and they'd play a song while the cast stands around making the stupidest movements while listening. Naturally, The Beverly Hillbillies was the best at that.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always laugh when a character on a TV show puts money into a Jukebox and instead of playing an actual modern hit song, the Jukebox plays an instrumental (!) production track. This is often of course so that the characters can have dialogue without a singer or song lyrics making it hard to hear them.

team2 and Weirdomusic like this.
  8. Dillydipper

Or, because that malt shop has The Coolest Jukebox In The World! :D
    "Hey - Manny...have they got any Nino Rota in there...?"

9. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

10. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It has gotten a ton of credit over the past 20 years or so thanks to DJs looking for break-beats that haven't been used. Library LPs are full of them.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Some of my most listened to music,mostly the late 60s to very early 80s.

SF Georgie likes this.
  12. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Spongebob and Ren & Stimpy have both utilised library music composed by Dennis Farnon: Dennis Farnon - Wikipedia

Library music isn't something I often stumble across, but just this week I was lucky enough to acquire a large collection of Boosey and Hawkes 'Recorded Music for Film, Radio & Television' LPs, which I've barely scratched the surface of yet (so to speak!) but contains all sorts of delights from the likes of Farnon, Trevor Duncan, and a load of other names new to me.

I'm like a pig in s**t, honestly this stuff is incredible!

team2 likes this.
  13. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Keith Mansfield's stuff was some of the best in this area!

Anyone in Britain who grew up watching Grandstand on rainy Saturday afternoons will remember this one.

Keith Mansfield - Big Shot - 1975

This funky number was used in the Sweeney. Really most of the KPM library stuff is great.

team2, ajawamnet and mark e like this.
  14. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Profile pic checks out

15. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Have some De Wolfe stuff, and Birds Do It, which is a compilation of 'groovy' library music from German sex education films from the 60s and 70s:

Various - Birds Do It

16. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

Anyone in Britain who grew up watching Grandstand on rainy Saturday afternoons will remember this one.

there used to be a relatively cheap Keith Mansfield album available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-You-Ne...id=1523552722&sr=1-1&keywords=keith+mansfield

its brilliant stuff.
    (ok, just checked .. clearly not that cheap anymore !)

however, there is a fantastic live melody of all the best KPM theme tunes on this 2cd set that is still up for grabs :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Danc...UTF8&qid=1523552831&sr=1-2&keywords=kpm+music

17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Library music is cool but I really never considered collecting it. Seems daunting. I kinda assumed that was largely the realm of hip hop producers ... they have been mining it since the 80s

18. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Shame the Keith Mansfield CD hasn't got "Young Scene" which was the early 70s theme for ITV midweek football in London. And sampled by Norman Cook among others.

mark e likes this.
  19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

The Akira soundtrack is just crazy good.

20. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

21. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

Have always had a soft spot for library music and listen to it often as intended, as background when doing other things. My go-to source is Spotify where there are quite a few KPM albums available for streaming (you’ll find Keith Mansfield’s “Young Scene” on the KPM 1000 series ‘Flamboyant Themes’ album).

team2 and Overthehillsandfaraway like this.
  22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That's absolutely correct. I used to deal with production music companies in my last job, and they all have different genres to choose from when TV and film producers need music. It's categorized by description terms like "action" "comedy" "suspense" etc. The only problem with that part of the music industry is that all the modern writers of the music do not get royalties. The production music company retains ownership of all the music written, and the writers are put on a salary. Killer Tracks is a HUGE company that does this.

team2 and Frederick Mars like this.
  23. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Lots of good picks already but the one I haven't seen called out yet that I have to rate above all others personally.... It's about the only thing I will listen to in mp3 instead of flac since I have no flac.

24. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

Expected to come out this year.

A lot of teasers on YouTube
    Library Music Film

Frequent updates on Facebook
    The Library Music Film

25. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I love when people make a Ren & Stimpy reference! Especially on a music forum like this one. There was some fun music on that show. :D

ToneLa likes this.