Are you addicted to buying music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Nope....don't listen to what I got...used to live to get high and drink with friends and analyze music all night...now I'm straight and with family, doesn't really hold much appeal..just watch reruns....oh well...life goes on...although,I'm still love reading and discussions about it..

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If I were truly addicted to buying music, I'd be doing it when I didn't want to, and when it was an active detriment. Since neither of those are the case, that would be a no.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

If I have to be honest, yes. I think it is getting worse not because of what I buy (this past month has been a whopper for me) but for the first time in forever I am now buying things I already have and not realizing it (three times in the last few months versus zero for 40 years - of course that might just be called getting old also)

4. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i need a fix once a week

6. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Yes....wow I just took the first step in the road to recovery!

Oops! New purchase...fell off the wagon

7. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Probably an addict. Still at 60+, after over forty years of searching, I continue to plow through tons of junk in the used bins hoping to find gems. And when I do I'm as happy as ever before. Retirement soon but I wont have any trouble passing time :)

8. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Same here, except for retirement bit. I've said it before, but our Rasputin's has a HUGE selection of CDs under a buck, and I still get a jolt of a thrill when I find something of interest. Sometimes my mouth will fall open and I think, "wow, someone didn't want this? What a fool!" I have scores of CDs that I have yet to listen to, and that makes me happy. Yes, I am addicted. You got a problem widdat? ;)

MONOLOVER likes this.
  9. Yes.

and it doesn't bother me... :targettiphat:

I'm addicted to a lot of things I enjoy.....

10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I'm trying to buy less CD's than last year, and it really feels like cold turkey. Still looking on eBay every day, and tapping the Watch button instinctively. After talking rationally to myself I will tap Unwatch in most cases. But it's hard, I just love the smell of newly arrived used CD's in the morning.

11. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I still enjoy the high of a new music purchase, but I've become a lot more selective with the passing of time. I was definitely an addict at one time, but not so much today.

12. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

My habit rather is making playlists and DJing for myself and sometimes others, too.

13. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Yes but it's under control. Within my financial limits.

14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Yes. I'm addicted both to online and in-store music purchases. I actually think this is a problem, and in general I'm trying to resist, because neither I have enough money to spent on this, nor I have the time to listen to all the music I have. It's clearly some sort of mental disease or sexual disorder, I feel strong excitement when in the proccess of chosing/buying music, then some orgasmic reliefe after I finalize the purchase and hold the CD/record in my hands, and shortly after that (in some cases I don't even have to listen to it) I feel empty and start thinking what music to buy next.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

16. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I answered 'yes' before I read your definition, so I may be impulsive as well.
    <rimshot>
    However, like others, I have fallen into the buying w/o listening habit, which is a sign that this music buying is a habitual pattern (which has knocked 'music listening' into second place). I need to put the breaks on....

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, I'm an addict, and the way that I know this is that I spend a lot of time looking for things to buy, I enjoy buying them and enjoy them arriving at my home. If I can't buy something I want, I get restless and start looking for some other sort of music that I could possibly want to buy and then buy that. It results in a cycle where I buy music that I want in the Autumn when everything gets released and then buy music that I want less in the Spring when very little is released.

That said, my addiction is not harmful to me or others.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Youbetcha and it's not a problem.

19. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Yes.
    I just bought the Courtney Barnett CD having never heard a note of music from the girl.
    Probably buy a couple of items a week.
    I gotta stop !!
    I am trying to save for retirement.
    The only thing I have cut down on is buying a lot of the classic rockers new releases.
    For example, the new Van Morrison.
    I know I will be disappointed and it will sit on my shelf collecting dust.

20. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I am able to control myself for a few months at a time and then go nuts. But as I get closer to retirement I am struggling with trying to kick it. Just this week I blew $450.00. The crazy thing is the records I bought are just other pressings of things I already own. :(:help:

21. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Wow! 81.7 percent admit it. No denial going on here. I like that.

22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Of course. I'd have spent less if I'd have been a raging drug addict!

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I find if I'm going the 'cold turkey' route (yes, it's happened more than once), the time goes really slowly. I'll be mentally patting myself on the back for not buying anything for ages, then I'll check and it'll be something like 9 days...

24. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I was. Not anymore.

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I plead guilty as charged. Always on the hunt for pieces I'm looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.