Are You An "ANTIBEDROOMTVITE"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I was talking about a "bedroom" TV on a local Digital/Video forum and was surprised at how many people were demonstrably against having a TV in the bedroom. They are 'ANTIBEDROOMTVITES' so to speak.

Of all the people that I know including family and all that only ONE that I am aware of DOESN'T have a TV in their bedroom. Now, do I only know very strange people??

How many of you have a second TV in your bedroom? I would think that it is very common.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I did well without a TV in the bedroom, but we just got one, and it's great for the cold nights! 'Specially when you're sick.

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

That's how I grew up; my folks always had (and still have) a TV in their room, and I had one too as a kid.

Now, however, my wife will not allow a television in the bedroom. She says the bedroom is for reading, sleeping ... and maybe one or two other things, but definitely not for watching TV.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Our main system is in the master bedroom. It's a giant room, perfect for the setup....

How else could I watch Star Trek "Voyager" at 3 am?

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Jeff P. wrote:

>Now, however, my wife will not allow a television in the bedroom. She >says the bedroom is for reading, sleeping ... and maybe one or two other >things, but definitely not for watching TV.

Truth be told, you can combine all these activities (named and unamed) with watching TV. But how is it Steve that you can watch Voyager at 3 AM in the morning with your wife sleeping beside you and remain married? I know if I pulled that kinda move around myhouse I'd be on the couch.

On a related note, I won't allow a TV in the room with the Hi Fi.

Jeff

6. Steve Hoffman

Karla just slumbers on. I asked her if I should use headphones, but she said no, the sound doesn't bother her. I keep it low though.

:love: :love:

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I like to have a small TV (20") in the bedroom to check the Late News or the Early Shows when I get up.

But I don't do the majority of my TV watching in the bedroom.

That's what Home Theater's were created for :)

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Funny you should ask...My wife hates TV in the Bedroom...I love it! Half our marriage we had a TV in the Bedroom...the later half we didn't. Now, the wife wants a TV setup in our bedroom...Hmmm, I said "The Bedroom is for sleepng" she just laughed! Our bedroom is big enough for a nice setup...maybe down the road we'll get one again.

9. Michael

I'm curious Steve, How big is your bedroom?

10. Khorn

I'm looking at maybe a 32" 4:3 HD Toshiba for the bedroom for VCR time shifting and specially older classics on DVD.

11. Steve Hoffman

42' x 29'

12. Michael

Wow! your lucky...I always used headphone back then, still the light changes bugged her more than the sound...

13. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

You have a very forgiving wife Steve.
    But just wait until she can't sleep... Trust me. I am guessing August.
    I sometimes listen in bed with headphones to a small shortwave radio that I can manipulate the controls with my eyss shut.
    My wife told me bar-none that it was the single-geekiest thing she knew that I did.
    I haven't told her about this forum. Jeff

14. Michael

Yup! That's giant! Nice...What's your Hi-Fi room 100 X 100?...LOL!!! Cool Steve...I love a huge bedroom...I have to settle with nice size!

15. Steve Hoffman

The master bedrooms in these houses are very big. Part of their selling point. All of the other upstairs rooms (including my little studio) are in normal, small rooms.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have view to my tv (in my living room) from the bedroom... I don't like tv in my bedroom, but I have my computer set up there... and I also can watch tv on my comp.

17. Michael

That sounds like a wonderful house!...So, if I may ask...What size is your Hi-Fi (listening area) room. My Bedroom is 16'.2" X 15'...My Hi-Fi listening area is 25' X 25' open plan...

18. Steve Hoffman

Well, I have like eight systems all over the house. My living room is 28' x 16'.

19. Michael

Yup, That's a nice size...Having an open plan has it's advantages...I can watch TV and listen to music as we dine...Do you have a favorite room for critical listening ( when your not working) (What size?) just relaxing...

20. Steve Hoffman

Other than my little upstairs studio room I do not have a "dedicated" listening room, believe it or not. We have a guest room, a baby's room:) and our master upstairs. Downstairs we have a living room, family room, dining room and kitchen/dining area. Like any other house I guess. My wife is understanding in most things, but I don't want to lose one of these rooms to wall treatments, etc. So, I just set up stereo systems in them and let 'em rip. I relax in the family room and there is a Wavac setup with Rogers LS3/5a's that I'm partial too when I want to relax.

Khorn,

Did we hijack your thread enough?

21. Khorn

Hey man, what else is new. :D But, that's what this whole thing should be about, spontaneity.

22. Michael

I recall reading in one of your posts that you enjoy listening with the volume at a normal level, therefore a giant room is not needed unless you want to opener' up...Great idea having multiple setups! I'll bet each setup one has it's benefits. Steve, What size is your "Little Studio Room"?

Oh yea...Hijack...Nah, a little sidebar discussion! LOL!!!

23. Steve Hoffman

24. Michael

Thanks Steve...

25. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm the one who was always against TV in the bedroom...or anywhere else in the house. ;) On my own, I'd rarely turn it on, except to watch a DVD, LD, or NHL playoffs. With the kids around, I usually keep a TV on in the back room for them. The Mrs. would usually keep it on all day if she were around...complaining about nothing to watch, but watching it nonetheless. I'm a laid-back type, but I get too fidgety when having to sit in front of the tube. In the bedroom, I'd rather read a good book.

My master bedroom is definitely large enough for a sitting area...23x20 and slightly L shaped with a few extra feet at one end, off to the side. If it weren't upstairs, I'd move everthing into another bedroom and turn THAT into my home theater room. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.