Are you embarrassed by or ashamed of any music that you own, for any reason?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm just wondering if anyone is embarrassed by any music that they own, and if so, why?

At one point my answer would have been "yes" because I listen to a pretty eccentric mix of things including some things that skew either below or above my age-group in terms of what's generally acceptable by most people, but then I decided I don't particularly care about that, so I voted "no". I also happen to love a lot of really cheesy, silly pop music and I am not ashamed. :)

Paul R likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Yes, because I worked for a music distribution company for a long time and often received garbage for free.

shaboo, DTK, Splungeworthy and 7 others like this.
  3. PaulKTF

Why did you keep the stuff if it was garbage you didn't really want? I would have either given it away, or dumped the inserts and CDs and re-used the jewel cases.

DrZhivago likes this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not anymore. Used to be with that Columbia House deal, it'd be hard to find 13 discs. That meant some regrettable choices, which were later traded toward store credit to obtain something more suitable.

5. PaulKTF

Oh man, that's right! I forgot all about that! :laugh: "Okay, I found 5 that I want, now I have to pick 8 more that I don't really want all that much or at all...".

I hope you remembered to return the monthly selection card. :)

6. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Not in the least bit.

7. I keep a very concise collection for the most part. It's tough to get much more than questionable sonics past me. Otherwise I like what I like and proceed with much caution moving forward.

All killer, no filler...

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Occasionally I buy something "new", and end up tossing it, because it's nowhere as good as the old stuff. That's as far as the "guilt" goes...

Sean and Blastproof like this.
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm sure plenty of other people would be embarrassed by things in my collection, but I'm certainly not. I don't care about norms or expectations in that way. And I basically think there is something potentially of value in all music, even the small amount of stuff that I think is garbage. There's been plenty of music I disliked that I came to like years later, and if nothing else, music that I still dislike reminds me of things I want to avoid in my own music.

Jrr and lightbulb like this.
  10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, I've got more music that I can ever actually enjoy, which points to a character/mental flaw.

11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Haven't you heard?

CDs will rise in value after their slow demise

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

Oh yeah, welcome to the club! Nice to have you with us. :)

klockwerk, strummer101 and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Time to play ELP- Love Beach

head_unit, Roberto899, troggy and 4 others like this.
  14. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

The older I get, the less hung up I find myself about whether something is potentially embarrassing, uncool, etc. If I like it, I like it. I'm not 20 anymore and I figure life's too short to miss out on something based on its perceived coolness or lack thereof. 20-year-old me would be appalled at some of the stuff on my iPod today. :)

SirMarc, Jrr, clhboa and 6 others like this.
  15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I would never buy or keep anything i'd be ashamed of having, makes no sense to me.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

When you wear the LOVE BEACH tee shirt, then we'll know you're truly comfortable in your skin!

17. PaulKTF

If I was really ashamed of something but still enjoyed it, I could never see myself getting rid of it.

...I would probably just hide it or something. :)

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have to think about that. I do have a cdr of some Manilow stuff I kind of hide.

I talked to a guy who had a tape of Townes Van Zandt near the end. He was a collector and had to have it, but he was ashamed when he traded it to other collectors cause Townes was so pathetically drunk and in such a mess, the show was a shambles.

19. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

My kids tell me on a regular basis that I should be, but what the hell. Fly that freak flag! [​IMG]

20. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

But how can you be ashamed of music you enjoy, it's not exactly murder or s&m.:)

21. PaulKTF

That's the conclusion I eventually came to as well. :)

22. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

The ability to sample some - if not all - of a title in the digital age before or shortly after release has effectively eliminated the unexpectedly disappointing purchase. This isn't on-point with the OP, but it occurred to me how many gambles I'd have taken had I been of age to appreciate and purchase music before 2000ish.

As for the original question: No. But reaction of friends, family, and coworkers make me aware of the degree to which my tastes deviate to the "unique" at times. :)

skateboard likes this.
  23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

To a certain degree, yes, because I can't even make up my mind about some of the artists in my collection, examples being KISS, Styx, and Asia. I've talked bad about all of these bands, but from time to time, I find myself wanting to listen to their music.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I voted yes. I own Gary Glitter records!

Aside from that, and in that instance the embarrassment is nothing to do with music, no, I'm not ashamed of or embarrassed by anything. It's only music, they're only records and CDs.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Alan2, Andrew J and seed_drill like this.
  25. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

Not ashamed exactly, but there is a lot of stuff I only play when no one else is around. Yoko Ono, Kluster, etc...

klockwerk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.