Are You Getting The Dylan Basement Tapes 2 CD or Boxed Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

I have ordered the vinyl box.

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Uh no, this is in fact the holy grail.

Guess you missed the 500 page thread on how great ASP is?

3. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

dear leader, i haven't. i am not comparing it to ASP. I'm not comparing the 2CD version with SP or ASP, but the whole thing. You can't be serious saying that this is great material. A lot of it is mediocre song sketches performed by Dylan and the Band completely drugged out.

4. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Gonna get the vinyl & 6 disc box. I see there is 2 fat books with 6cd. I doubt I will play all of the outakes over & over. Thats where a programme button comes in handy. Have 2 on order. Amazon UK have for £101, AmazonDE have for £80 + shipping, gonna wait to see if UK see the light & budge their price, I doubt by to much though.

As for the vinyl, I bought ASP just after Christmas 2013 & still not played it, still in the shrink. But dont worry, fellow Dylanologists. I keep spinning the CD.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ramen noodles too...minute rice, bananas, oatmeal.

6. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

How about some juicy apples, off that Apple Suckling Tree?

pool_of_tears likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nice!

Millington likes this.
  8. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Box set, though I suspect I will not be able to justify if based on the number of repeat plays. I want it for the songs I will love that are not on the 2 CD set. After Christmas, the vinyl set for home with the 2 CD edition for the car.

HominyRhodes and Millington like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

neither...not my favorite Dylan period.

Frittenköter likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Good planning.

11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I disagree about the music by approx. 1002%. I disagree about the 'drugged out' bit by 978%.

They recorded mostly during the day, so they probably weren't 4 sheets to the wind at that time of day. Somewhat zooted? Sure.

Colour me unconcerned, since the performances are awesome, and foreshadow basically everything that was to follow in popular music .

It's almost impossible to gauge just how influential these sessions are, but I'd say about 4087%.

12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

you know, I planed on the whole set but I look at all the repeat takes and it is making me second guess the purchase.

13. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

The 2 CD set contains what the record company deem releasable. A lot of the stuff on the 6 CD set would have been deemed unreleasable at one time, but the pricing ensures no damage to Bobs reputation with Joe Public. I've heard (I have) most of this stuff and around £60 is the most I'd be prepared to pay. For those thinking the 2 CD set is enough, it isn't, you're missing quite a few essential performances. Frustrating situation really.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

The box. Sony got it so right, it was hard to say no this time.

brianvargo likes this.
  16. HominyRhodes

I'm still trying to figure that out -- already planning my own mix CDs and playlists! I'll get back to ya!

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks!

I am also curious how others plan to arrange the complete set, will you listen as is, make separate mixes, choosing only one take of each song, etc?

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  18. HominyRhodes

Beyond the fact that I'm sure I'll save much of disc 6 (the lower quality recordings) for last, I can't say for sure.

To tell you the truth, first I want to see the liner notes which, hopefully, will give us a better idea of exactly when each group of recordings were made. Then I would, if possible, like to listen to everything in chronological order, as it was taped.

19. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Box.

In for a penny...in for a pound...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The box is probably too much of nothing but the two disc version is missing too many awesome tracks, so I'm in for the box.

Millington and George P like this.
  21. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I'll put forward the opinion of a man who has collected this material in virtually every iteration possible over the years, since he was a teenager in search of that "weird old America" in the early 1990s:

This is the holy grail.

Every note of this boxed set will be worth owning.

There is much here that is imperfect, even wildly, ridiculously imperfect, which is part of its immense charm. There is little here that is less than fun or interesting, and much that is haunting, hilarious, scary, and transcendent.

I begrudge no one his or her opinion, and I don't expect everyone to get off on this stuff as I and a few others do. However, for a record company to come through so brilliantly for those of us who have yearned for the comprehensive release of this material is a dream come true. I still can't wrap my head around it.

22. HominyRhodes

47 years in the making. I'm with you.

Ryan Lux, Millington, davenav and 2 others like this.
  23. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

You're right, differing opinions aren't threadcraps, regardless of how ignorant that opinion may happen to be. However, the topic of this thread is not "what do you think of the Basement Tapes," it's, "which one are you getting," which makes your opinion off-topic, and that's what constitutes it as a "threadcrap."

Personally, I don't mind; you amuse me. But I thought I would just let you know so you're more educated for the future.

swedgin likes this.
  24. HominyRhodes

Here are some of the interesting tracks that will appear on the 6-CD set, but not the 2-CD:

(previously unreleased/uncirculated in any form -- samples sound very cool)
    ROLL ON TRAIN
    HALLELUJAH I'VE JUST BEEN MOVED
    MY WOMAN, SHE'S A-LEAVIN'
    MARY LOU, I LOVE YOU TOO
    A SATISFIED MAN
    WILD WOLF
    IF I WERE A CARPENTER

(Takes that were on the 1975 official LP, but are not on the 2-CD set)

ODDS AND ENDS (take 2, '75 LP, no overdubs)
    YEA HEAVY & A BOTTLE OF BREAD (take 2, '75 LP, no overdubs)
    MILLION DOLLAR BASH (take 2, '75 LP, no overdubs)
    TOO MUCH OF NOTHING (take 2, '75 LP, no overdubs)

LO AND BEHOLD (take 1 - iTune app ver.)

(Tracks previously in circulation which will now appear in much better quality, only on the 6-CD set)

YOUNG BUT DAILY GROWING
    BONNIE SHIP THE DIAMOND
    HILLS OF MEXICO
    FOUR STRONG WINDS
    BOURBON STREET (extended take)
    ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS DREAM (take 1)

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Besides the complete recordings judging by the pictures available it looks like a really nice job was done on this set, including the book. Can't wait for delivery day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.