Are You Getting The Dylan Basement Tapes 2 CD or Boxed Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I'm checking the sofa cushions for coins, returning pop bottles for the deposit money, collecting cans for recycling, giving blood, delivering newspapers at 3 a.m., delivering pizzas at 10 p.m., shining shoes, and selling magazine subscriptions door-to-door just to be able to afford Bob-A-Palooza 2014 (6-CD/LPs+2-CD/Griffin's book/possibly an extra ding to get "Track 139" as a download). Dress it up, better have it all -- except the big lyrcis book, can't swing that, too.

DeeThomaz and Millington like this.
  2. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I ordered the lp, but I honestly didn't realize the 6 cd existed. I know it looked a little short on material given how much was recorded. I'd cancel my order but my only cd player is in my car and I don't really listen to Dylan in the car very often. I guess I'll have to listen to the rest on spotify or something after it's released. I've never been able to spring for the bootleg series lp in the past, so I'm pretty excited

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think I'll get the 2 disc set then download a few essential other tracks from Amazon (they are selling individual tracks right? Right?!?!?). The box is too expensive for me and to be perfectly honest I really only listen to a fraction of the Basement Tape material I already own.

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I haven't decided yet. The two-disc is all I can justify right now but if I see some movement on the price, I could easily imagine wasting my money on the big set.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

What I would like to see is someone compile a third CD using the essential tracks from the Complete set using the stuff not on the 2CD set.

IronWaffle likes this.
  6. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Yeah! Like me I have sucker stamped on my forehead too.

7. Millington

On Amazon.de it is 85 euros & 4 euros P&P. Thats about £72, as opposed to £101.99 on amazon.uk

It might come a couple of days late, but it is sure worth it, guv'nor. Have cancelled my UK order, just now.

Sordel likes this.
  8. Millington

Yeah, thats the spirit HominyRhodes. Been working my overtime ass off, so I can afford 6cd & 3LP.

All for the love of His Bobness.:tiphat:

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I have clamored for this very box set to released for so long, that I would be remiss (and feel guilty) if I didn't buy it . . . I want the book with the extensive track-by-track liner notes and all of the material in consistent quality/mastering.

I will buy the 3LP since I imagine that will contain the meat of the tracks I will listen to most regularly in my preferred format . . . I may leave the LPs sealed until I have read some reviews though, since I will have the 6 CDs to chew on. Although Columbia has done a good job with the recent Dylan vinyl I have purchased, I'm always dubious.

10. Vinyl set and CD box set for this sucker. Agree with many comments. For me I just cannot afford to do anything else. Although I've heard or have a lot of the key songs that haven't seen official release before, for example 'Sign On The Cross', 'Banks Of The Royal Canal', the opportunity to have everything in properly mastered quality once and for all is just too much to resist. Plus, there'll be a bunch of things here that I've never heard that I know I'll love..... I'm a great fan of basement era Bob, I love that ragged sound, the way he sang back, the off-the-cuff lyrics and I've thought for ages that this was the obvious Bootleg Series set to release.

But, I have to say, I am puzzled by some of the songs that haven't made the vinyl set. But we'll just have to wait and see.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  11. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

Saw this from 'Illy Dylan' over on ER.:

My Local Independent Radio Station(think PBS on the Radio) here in Upstate NY(Albany Area), 9.77 WEXT ( http://exit977.org/ ), has been having a week long "Tangled Up In Dylan" programing event(it's been awesome btw)... And they have been promoting that they were going to have a Special on The Basement Tapes Complete today at 2pm. I just assumed it was going to be some half assed thing with A DJ talking about The Basement Tapes and playing the 1975 Release Songs and such...

But No, it was indeed a Well Put Together(by Dylan Inc. I suppose, Rosen got special thanks at the end) 1 Hour Radio Special about the Newly Remastered and to be released Songs... So I grabbed a Pen & Paper and took notes incase there was something New or of interest.

Here it goes:

The Special was Titled: Bob Dylan: The Basement Tapes Complete

It was Hosted/Curated by a Woman named Rita Houston

This is the Rundown as best My Notes Recall it(wasn't noting the sound bite content at first):

-Introduction by Host
    -Sid Griffin Sound bite
    "900 Miles" - The New Longer Version Played in Full, Very Good
    -Clinton Heylin Sound bite
    "Lo and Behold" - Alternate, Snippet
    -Griel Marcus Sound bite
    -"Folsom Prison Blues" - Played in Full
    -Clinton Heylin Sound bite
    -"You Ain't Goin Nowhere" Alternate Cats & Basement Noise Version, in Full
    -Steve Berkowitz, Producer/Engineer, Sound bite
    -Garth Hudson Sound bite
    -"Don't Ya Tell Henry" - Alternate with Brass, Played in Full
    -Break by Radio Station to talk about Special-Dylan-Ask for Contributions
    -"Blowin in the Wind" - New Basement Version, Snippet
    -Clinton Heylin, on the 66 Tour, everyone on Speed, Motorcycle Crash
    -"Too Much of Nothing" - Alternate Version, Played in Full
    -Anthony De Curtis, Music Writer, on 1967 and the Music Scene
    -Griel Marcus, on Time off/Period of Silence
    -"Dress it Up, Better Have it All" - Played in Full
    -Clinton Heylin, on the Publishing Demo Situation
    -"Quinn the Eskimo(The Mighty Quinn)" - Alternate Version, Snippet
    -Griel Marcus, on the Bob & Garth talk heard on the Tapes
    -"Hills of Mexico" - Snippet with Bob talking to Garth at the end
    -"I Shall Be Released" - Alternate Version, Played in Full - Will Address at the End
    -Steve Berkowitz, on Bob & The Band just doing whatever they want
    -Clinton Heylin, on "I'm Your Teenage Prayer" being the one thing he would take from The Basement Tapes if he had to, loves it
    -Griel Marcus, The Basement Tapes in his opinion is the back and forth of "The Bawdy House to the Confessional", also loves Teenage Prayer
    -"I'm Your Teenage Prayer" - Played in Full
    -Break by Radio Station to talk about Special-Dylan-Ask for Contributions
    -A wordless very Short Snippet of a Song I didn't recognize, some moaning
    -Garth Hudson, on Recording & The Equiptment
    -Steve Berkowitz, on Garth & His Recording Style
    -Sid Griffin, on Garth & His Recording Style
    -"Odds and Ends" - Alternate Version, Played in Full
    -Griel Marcus, on The Bootlegs, his famous Street Corner Dope Deal Story
    -Sid Griffin, on The Great White Wonder, Start of Bootleg Industry, Proof of Cultural Impact of Dylan
    -"Nothing Was Delivered" - Alternate Version, Played in Full
    -Sid Griffin, on 1975 Album Covershoot in YMCA Basement, Ringo there, Was Neil Young?, Bob took a swim afterwards
    -"Million Dollar Bash" - Alternate Version, Played in Full
    -Griel Marcus, Music Not Meant to Sound Young, Not Bob Dylan Music, Shades of all different Dylans
    -"One Too Many Mornings" - New Basement Version, only the first 2 Verses and then the Host Talking over the rest with Credits

Ok, so First, I have to say what a thrill it was just to hear Basement Tapes songs take over the Air Waves for an Hour in 2014... It was such a fun experience. [​IMG] As I type this up, the same Station is now playing "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" in full... Unreal.

Second, it was over the Radio... But the Audio Sounded pretty damn good to me. I'm not an Audophile though. *shrugs*

Third... Ok, this is the big one. As far as a I know, the new Alternate Version of "I Shall Be Released" has not been heard in full anywhere, yet... So yeah, of course this was the one that made the most nervous to listen to for differences/changes... And had me second guessing myself, and if what I was hearing was different... So yeah, I didn't catch it all. But what I'm pretty sure was different:

-The Opening Line Struck me as possibly not being the same or switched around, but it was so quick & right out of the gate that it caught me off guard
    -"Every Man Must Fall" has been changed to "Every Man Must Crawl"
    - The "Some place so high above this wall" line was slightly altered as well, might have just been missing a word or two
    -The Last Verse Starts with "Now Take A Look Around", after that I got lost writing the first line down and couldn't quite tell but I think some off those following lines may have been different as well, but I'm 99% Certain the the Final Line of the Last Verse is the same

Anyways, that's all I got. lol... I hope this interests someone. I am now so hyped up to get this set. Cannot wait.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Me too. I've just given up eating for a while. Wish I was joking.

Jerryb likes this.
  13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

iTunes version of the full box set.

14. HominyRhodes

I'll be searching radio sites to find this. Thanks a lot.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

FANTASTIC summary! I hope this whole radio show becomes widely available, it sounds terrific!

Also fun to see how Heylin, who famously "non-dedicated" his Recording Sessions book to Jeff Rosen, has clearly come into the fold (he also wrote the notes for the Complete Bob Dylan Albums V1 booklet last year).

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...never know when you're gonna need one.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm getting both. The 2 cd set will probably arrive first, and then the box set. I'll have time to listen to the 2 cd set and I don't have to keep it afterwards, could pass it along to my brother who is becoming more and more a Dylan fan.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

For me, I'm going to get the 2CD set that morning at a local record store. I wish I could afford to get the larger box locally as well, but that's just not a reality right now so instead I'll seek out the best on-line offer I can find right now.

19. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

Probably do the download of the complete set. I've been waiting too many decades for this to go for anything else. Maybe I'll pickup the 6 CD box if the price gets reasonable.

20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The 2 CD is enough.

21. HominyRhodes

I have to think that we'll be hearing from all of the Dylan devotees/experts/authors -- Griffin, Heylin, Marcus, maybe Sean Wilentz? -- over the coming weeks and months. I'm really chompin' at the bit to get Griffin's revised work, since I foolishly neglected it in the past. I also hope that if Heylin is, in fact, now in the fold, he'll tone down his sarcastic comments :tsk: just a little.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. cplyons

cplyons Forum Resident

OK, I've had Genuine Basement Tapes and Tree with Roots for years, so I'm mostly interested in the "Basement Tapes Greatest Hits now in 3D sound!!!" version on two cd's. On the other hand I've lived by and loved these things for decade upon decade (fact: my 1974 high school yearbook sports the last verse of You Ain't Goin Nowhere under my picture), and I would long cherish the full set of these recordings finally getting the respect they deserve.

So in the end: I'm getting the 2-cd set on release day and "arranging" to receive the box from my dear spouse for Christmas, at which point I'll give the 2-cd set to a friend who has neither...

funknik likes this.
  23. HominyRhodes

:edthumbs: That's a perfect plan.

24. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

There's a 6 minute sample (nothing to rave about) of the radio show on this advert for the 4-part radio series

25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Neither.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.