Are you happy with Paul McCartney's new musical direction?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

It's Paul

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Isn't he the guy that Kanye is promoting?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Preach on. I don't get everyone wanting him to "act" 72. I am 44 and I tell you I act NOTHING like my parents and uncles/aunts did at this age! I keep my mortgage paid, bills paid, work my job I have held for 19 years and take care of my child but I also enjoy videogames and music and having fun as much as when I was a teenager. Middle age has changed and old age is changing too. I seriously doubt any of us will be knitting shawls and listening to Lawrence Welk if we make it to seventy. Go Paul!

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Why would Paul McCartney try to appear relevant? I don't think he cares, I don't think he ever cared.

SITKOL'76, JDeanB, heatherly and 2 others like this.
  5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

It must have gone no more simply than this: they asked for his service, and he agreed. Am I happy with it? I don't care. He doesn't even sing on the track so it won't hurt his reputation I don't think. A simple collab won't hurt him. If anything I'm hoping that it will put an end to atrocities like this:

[​IMG]

6. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I enjoyed both tracks. I am delighted that McCartney not only continues to challenge himself but also the narrow minded ageist notions of those who seek to create and impose conformist boxes for other people to live in.

Rock on Sir Paul.

heatherly, supermd, theMess and 5 others like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if it makes the old guy happy I'm cool with it...I do find it sad that he feels the need to team up...

8. Michael

that is absolutely hysterical...Idiocrasy at it's best!

SITKOL'76 and bcaulf like this.
  9. Michael

challenge himself with West? LOL!

jeatleboe likes this.
  10. Michael

of course not...he needs better choices...

11. Michael

Hysterical! Paul McCartney has-been...

12. Gary910

Gary910 Master Record Listener

If you look at previous posts that I have made, you will see I am as big as Beatles/Wings/Paul fan as anyone else is out there. But, I think age has caught up with Paul, and I think he needs to hang it up, at least some. Collaborating with the current generation is not exactly helping his reputation/career any. He appears to be reaching and trying to extend his career farther than it should/can go.

His voice is all but gone. I have seen him 3 times in concert and I have no desire to see him anymore.

I think he is still okay in the studio. He needs to embrace his generation. (The place he has.) Hang it up!!!

Remember I am as big of Beatles/Wings/Paul fan as there is... But time has past. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is....

Stop reaching Paul... We love you, but don't ruin that.

13. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kill it before it lays eggs

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Who said you were obligated? Re-read what I wrote.

15. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I haven't liked his overall musical direction for a long time. He seems to rely far too much on electronic gadgetry and gimmicks than a guy is amazingly gifted as he is needs to.
    He really never had to follow music trends, he didn't in the Beatles, he didn't with his solo stuff and his work with Wings in the 70s, and he doesn't need to now. But for some reason he seems to think it necessary to conform to whatever is currently contemporary in music.
    Not that he hasn't done some great things all along, he has. I just think he could be doing a LOT better.

16. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

If the man wants to rock, who are any of us to stop him. For 72 years old, I say rock on, Sir Paul. Rock on.

JDeanB, SITKOL'76 and theMess like this.
  17. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

I've always believed in letting McCartney be McCartney.

He's always been pretty shrewd in the ways of marketing, so maybe he is doing these projects to boost his image with new audiences. Or maybe he just likes seeing what the kids are up to these days, and feels it keeps him young.

Doesn't make any difference to me, though. I give him props for still getting out there and, at least in terms of his live performances, doing it very well indeed.

JDeanB, theMess and DLant like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s inbelicable this discussoon. Really is. Paul is strumming some guitar and playing some piano and doin some productionwork.....
    Probabky because he enjoys it...
    And....
    There is talk of new directons, Paul trying to be relevant and whatever
    For all sake- the man at least should have earned the right to do what he likes

JDeanB, theMess, DLant and 1 other person like this.
  19. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Paul is just doing what he has always been doing. If someone thinks this is a "new direction" then they must be late to the party. :)
    Seriously, Paul is a POP synthesist ... he has always been listening to whatever is in the charts (and collaborating when he gets the chance) and he has been doing a marvelous at this for well over half a century.

JDeanB, theMess and DLant like this.
  20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

And if McCartney was doing the Howard Hughes thing, you know living in a castle and had not made any music because it was "undignified" at his age, everyone here would be whining about how he was not making any new music for his fans.

Some of the prejudice against older musicians here is pretty sad. I mean think about it....so he is on a song with Kanye West.....BIG F(LK&*ING DEAL! This is the same guy who thought up Sgt Pepper for Pete's sake!

supermd, JDeanB, SITKOL'76 and 2 others like this.
  21. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

IMHO he hasn't produced anything decent in at least 20 years

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Electric Arguments had some amazing tracks. Strong lyrics, tremendous hooks, and the Hofner bass in a decidedly modern setting. He should have released it under his own name.

theMess likes this.
  23. Michael

I'd go even back further...

Marc Bessette likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

That generation has spoken.

25. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Sadly...it's my generation :shake:

Thread Status: