Are you on discogs? what's the collection worth?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by phish, Sep 28, 2011.

1. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Took the dive. What the hell. 162 items. Nearly a page of things with no values including my copy of Band of Gypsies for some reason. I'm not sure I agree at all with the numbers, but it was interesting. Low end is 1860 with the high end being 5113. Median of 2755.

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

I've added a decent amount of stuff since 2011, but it also looks like prices have risen a bit after being stagnant or down for quite a bit.

Collection Value Range

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Collection Value Range
    • Minimum:
      £3,594.52
    • Median:
      £5,826.51
    • Maximum:
      £10,033.79

4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Discogs is great if you understand it's limitations. And yeah, if you want it to get better participate. It's only as good as it's users.

I take the collection value with a grain of salt, of course, because it only incorporates Discogs sales. So it's more an estimate of what my collection would be worth if I painstakingly sold it myself through the Discogs engine.

So far I have entered 800 records (vinyl) and no CDs. I don't know the actual size of my collection but it's well over 800. Right now mine says $9800 median and $19100 max which is a pretty wide estimate.

5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Sounds like a pretty useful tool to keep track of your collection. Kinda useless way of auditing its value though.

6. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Agree. It's great to find a couple of $1 Goodwill records and see they sold for $15 - $20. Instant gratification.

hidden1one likes this.
  7. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

I wish i bought everything on vinyl back in the day. My collection is skewed about 75-25 towards cds. I have only a few valuable cds but lots of records valued in the €50-€200 range.

It was interesting seeing a friend's cd-r release ( that i played guitar on) from 1997 being valued at €33.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is apparently a phone app to quickly scan albums into a collection data base on discog. Has anyone used it?

9. 9la

9la Forum Resident

I know this is slightly off but... some Discogs sellers offer "unofficial" Stones CDs (like Too Much Blood on the Dancefloor, Stereo and a 2-fer No Stone Unturned/Metamorphosis). These are not the CD-Maximum Russian series, but European CDs. Is there any way to determine that these are in fact real pressed (molded) CDs rather than burned CD-Rs with part of the center ring covered by the label? They even have the unofficial CD catalog number mechanically etched next to the center ring; may or may not have a bar code. Some titles are packaged in digipaks.

Looking for a bluish or greenish hue on the playing surface (for a CD-R) does not work very well.

I am not promoting unofficial discs, just asking how to ascertain that a disc is a real CD rather that a CD-R.

10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Wow, been using Discogs for a long time but didn't know about the collection value feature until now. Anyway I don't have everything entered, just mostly OOP and audiophile stuff and things I've bought & sold there.

11. I've been using it for a couple of years and have about 20 percent of my music listed. I use it mainly to keep track of my jazz vinyl, especially Japanese pressings, very little of my cd collection is listed and I have a lot of stuff that has never been traded so does not have a value entered. I don't buy or sell there.

Dollar values: Min 15,000
    Median 20,000
    Max 27,500

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I've started entering mine, but since I have most of it in Collectorz, does anyone know if DisCogs can import your collection? I can't even think of adding a couple thousand LPs and Cds.... again.

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

What I may lack in quantity, I make up for in quality; nonetheless, thus far, in my case the figures are:
    - Minimum: $5,603.94
    - Median: $9,543.50
    - Maximum: $18,879.19
    At least one of my submissions, someone's selling for roughly $100.00. (And I picked it up for about $5 - $10.)

I don't buy or sell at Discogs, either; however, the entries I've put in are more a roadmap, a guide, for those who are.

14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Get an app called MilkCrate - it uses your phone or iPad camera to scan the barcode. It will bring up the item, no typing needed, and then just hit "Add to My Collection" - it will then show up in your Discogs collection.

https://appsto.re/us/4lqUM.i

15. kman

kman Forum Resident

I looked on the apple App Store and there is an app called milkcrate that works with discogs
    Anybody have any experience with this app?

16. kman

kman Forum Resident

What does it do with older lp's that don't have barcodes?
    Because I have a bunch of ones without barcodes
    Thanks

17. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

I uploaded some of my albums, but half of them got no transactions on the site, so they are in zero value. I don't agree with some numbers given there...how can a Santana "Marathon" cd be more valuable than the Doors "Morrison Hotel" target?

18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

You can search by artist, label or release within the app if there is no barcode.

19. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

I sell on discogs, and am a regular contributor and voter. I sometimes buy on there too! Not all my collection is listed and I haven't added the CDs yet. Some of the sales history is obviously tainted by bad copies or reissues (original Parlophone Tomorrow album has a median value of $60...worth closer to $400 for example), but here's what I have:

Collection Value Range
    • Minimum:
      $48,502.87
    • Median:
      $88,500.64
    • Maximum:
      $169,777.20

Edit: many items I have listed have never sold so have a value of "$0".

phish likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's a good time to start a CD collection.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

Every issue on Discogs is supposed to have a separate entry. You can add different label variations, etc as a new entry and add to master list.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I just finished up the 12" LPs. Currently:

Minimum
    $18,499.73

Median
    $31,143.82

Maximum
    $56,108.02

Next up is the 7" records, open reels and 78s.

23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The BIG problem with Discogs is a lot of the very early CD's are not listed at all. I mean the ones from 1983-1984. And a lot of the 80's Japanese pressings.

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Many newer jazz SHM reissues are also not there unfortunately...

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yes and no. It's based on a narrow data set (i.e. only people who've bought those titles off of Discogs), but is also entirely based on actual prices paid, rather than someone telling you your rare Beatles LP "is totally worth like $500, man!"

Robert C likes this.