Are you ready for SACD II?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah, I'm not getting it either.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

Please remember - opinions - 'OK', overt contentiousness - 'NOT OK'!

Clearly, there is a difference...carryon.

Thanks,

Bob:)

3. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Re: They Don't Want to Eat You

Agreed. It might be good to see what happens, if anything, in September. Both with SACD II and the proposed DVD-A "Flipper Disc".

According to Audio Revolution's story over at http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0703/18.dvda.shtml Sony has strongly denied that there is an "SACD II" format.

The quote there is: "Sony representatives strongly denies SACD II exists or is in development."

As you suggest, it might end up being simply some recent updates to the "Scarlet Book" SACD spec which has always included a video option and several copy protection approaches.

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Well, Sony has a point when they say there is no SACD II in development.

1) If SACD always had the provision to display video, then SACD II is really SACD + multichannel + video.

2) If they called it "SACD II", everyone would realize they had been taken for a ride by Sony.

As things stand, I'm still doubtful as to whether keep around the new DV-NS900V I got last weekend (it was a steal... $300 USD unopened).

5. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I think SACD is a great format, and you should hang on to your NS-900V Javier. I have a NS905V, and love it for both music and DVD-video playback - it's fantastic. I would like to have a universal player that could do DVD-A as well, but my impression is that cheap universal players are not yet up to standard on SACD playback. So I'm happy to have a decent SACD player that I can also use for DVD-video.

I'm not interested in having video on my SACD discs - I just think that it compromises the format to try and make it all things to all people. I'd rather get video from DVD-video discs, and music from music discs - but that's just me. SACD is an ideal medium for delivering audiophile quality digital music. I guess the spin doctors are trying to make the format more broadly appealing, and perhaps that's a good thing. It's taken SACD five years to get to the point where it is, and I think it could have been much more successful much sooner if Sony had been more aggressive with it.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Devil's advocate time. Why shouldn't Sony deny it? If Sony came out and said, "Yes, we are actively pursuing the development of SACD II", then a lot of people might not buy SACD I discs and hardware. From Sony's vantage point, it makes sense to go on the record only when they are ready to go to market.

7. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Paul, I hope you are right. I love SACD - I like it so much, that even after I owned 10 DVD-As and no SACD, I bought it the moment I listened to it at a dealer. I just hope Sony won't pull the rug under all of us by developing a format extension that makes our players incompatible with the new software.

About your player - the 905 is basically a 900 with some extra features, right? I am in love with my player - I actually own two of them (one for multichannel, the other one for stereo). That's why I was a bit worried about the future of SACD...

8. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I think the 900V is a more solidly built cousin to the 905V, and came out a bit earlier. they look similar, but the 905V is smaller and slimmer. The 905V is in Sony's "QS" range ("Q" for "Quality"), and I assume the 900V is too - not as fancy as their "ES" range, but still nicely put together.

I remember seeing the 900V here in Australia and it was quite expensive as I recall, approaching $2,000 (?). The 905V goes for about $1,000 here. I believe the 900V has a 12-bit 54MHz video processor, whereas the 905V uses a 108MHz processor - whether that makes any difference to picture playback, I don't know, but I doubt it. The 900V and 905V models for sale in Australia miss out on progressive scan:-(

If you got one of those 900Vs for US $300, I'd say you got a major bargain.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Paul: :eek: I did. My first one was $450, I got this one for $300. Both have progressive scan, and are built like tanks.

10. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

a thread from last year

A couple of people asked about my earlier post,
    so this is to explain!

[ Just as a reminder, here's a thread from way back last year:
    Doesn't anyone else think DSD sounds phony? ]

Anyway, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread, I promise!

I did mean what I posted - that when I first heard of "SACD II",
    I thought they were announcing a higher-sampling rate DSD system
    and/or something with new higher-density media, or whatever,
    that would make it sound better.
    That's why I thought my comment was right on topic.

Of course, on the other hand, if one is of the opinion that DSD I/SA-CD is Perfect Sound Forever
    and simply needs no improvement, then my comment might well have been confusing... ;)

But AFAICT, we haven't made it to Perfect Sound Forever, yet! :sigh:

FFF

-----
    clue found on page 12 of the manual for Sony SCD-CE775 Super Audio CD Player:
    -----
    Note
    During playback, increase the volume level gradually starting from the lowest level.
    The output from this unit may contain band width that are out of the normal listening range.
    This may cause damage to the speakers or ears.
    ----- :agree: or :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.