Are you satisfied with your hifi system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

In my case, I would say that there is always room for improvement, love my speakers, Dynaudio Contour 1.3S but do not care about my phono stage, ProJect phono box DS plus.

2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Satisfied in that it serves its purpose, but if my budget and space were increased I'd definitely do something different.

Frosst, TimGoodwin, chili555 and 7 others like this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Love mine. I guess there's always room for improvement but I've got the sound I was looking for and versatility. Infact right now my 500c is hooked up so I can use the glorious tube tuner for Christmas music and NPR and the great phono stage with a mono setting for my old holiday LPs.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Satisfied? I'd say it's my favorite material possession, consumes the majority of my free time and discretionary budget. I like what I have but I'm always interested exploring.

baconbadge, Frosst, Melvin and 16 others like this.
  5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I definitely need different speakers, and thus a matching power amp.

Paully and Bananas&blow like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

+1, exactly.

peter fuller and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have a nice sounding system and I picked it out myself. I was limited to my budget however and it is in a room where it was selected for. So if I were to move to another space and or have a much larger budget, I'd want to start over. It is relative after all.
    -Bill

Minty_fresh, Kyhl, tyinkc and 2 others like this.
  8. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Not satisfied yet, but I'm getting closer...

Bananas&blow likes this.
  9. i am happy enough; i would love to hear a high end deck in my system but its not going to happen. Love the one you're with. My room sucks BTW

10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

In my old age (62) I think I can say I really am satisfied with my system. I suspect my declining hearing is probably as responsible as the components in my system, but i enjoy it as much now as I ever have.

Paully, Rickchick, Dale A B and 7 others like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Like many I'm sure, I'm a bit obsessive and compulsive when it come to this stuff. If I listen to anything for too long of time, I start to get unsatisfied. I find that having a second system really helps. It gives me a flavor of something different and helps to recalibrate my reference point.

mds, SAMAUL, Doug_B and 2 others like this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

22 years later? Very much so...

13. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes, very satisfied. It's as good as it's going to get, given the limitations I have set myself (I don't want a dedicated listening room; I don't want room treatments everywhere; I don't want my sitting room looking like a hifi shop, with racks of amplifiers and cables on risers snaking everywhere).

Shoalcove and Fishoutofwater like this.
  14. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

It's worthless because it can't make dinner or keep the place clean.

dalem5467, Kyhl, showtaper and 2 others like this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

So, you'd trade?
    -Bill

16. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Satisfied? Yes. Been good to me for years.

-BUT-

The powered subwoofer is 10+ years old now. And when it’s amp eventually fails I’ll have to upgrade to something with a 15” or 16” driver. Darn.

17. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

It's great at music playback, but a lousy wife.

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

A cruel mistress no doubt. ;)
    -Bill

Rickchick and Adam9 like this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

In a happy place with my set up for now.

I still grin at the sonic goodness it delivers.

Maybe an OCD tweak or check/recheck/recheck ( :) ) now and then, but for the most part its set up just the way I like it.

20. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I go in and out of hobbies.. seems every few years one raises to the top while others take a back seat.

I was sponsored and drag raced vintage Harley’s for a few years..still have a bike although covered in dust at the moment.. I played in bands on and of through the years, I still have a gob of gear. I also have a vintage Mustang.. Seems I go back and forth with my money and time.

I guess with Audio.. HT and two channel I’m happy with what I’ve spent. In truth I have made money when I swap gear almost every time. I dont buy unless its a good buy. It has to be on the very low end of the average sale cost, I always buy used.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  21. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

As it happens I just got through a major upgrade process in my system: replacing use of the phono section of my trusty Hovland HP-100 preamp with a new Tavish Design Adagio stand-alone phono preamp which in itself was a nice upgrade. And then for the past month or two I've been experimenting and replacing the stock tubes with some rather exotic upgrades in each position that really rocketed the sound to yet another level (of realism).

So yeah, at present I'm very satisfied with my music system and will now once again continue to concentrate on music and cleaning and listening to the massive accumulation of used LPs I've been scooping up for years, secure in the knowledge they'll sound the best they can.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Very satisfied. Heading into the cold months I'll spending more time with it but it's an absolute joy to use.

somnar and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I like my system just fine, but hate that I have to enjoy it in a tiny room.

The next house will have a better room for hifi; I was not concerned about that when we bought this house.

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

There is a certain level of crazy you have accepted when you think about moving to accommodate listening to music. I know because I did exactly that one year ago tomorrow. Closing on a house, moving and in my case, renovations, is nearly hell on earth. But....I was running out of room for records and a dedicated room does make a difference.

billnunan, timztunz, Kyhl and 5 others like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I get the same way. Although I am entirely satisfied with my system. I will swap out different components just to have differences in the system's sound signatures.

There are two very different large towers that serve as front mains and are selectable via an A/B speaker selector switch.

Plus there are three systems in the room. I usually have at least two SS systems running most of the time. In the late afternoon or evening, I usually light up the A7's with an all tube power chain. I rotate the various tube amplifier's that I have on that system as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.