Are you satisfied with your hifi system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

Tullman likes this.
  2. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

For the most part I am,but I have to get my cassette deck fixed.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Try an amp that runs KT120 tubes, then you will have smoothness and dynamics.

4. tezca

tezca Forum Resident

Yes, I am very happy now. I am on a budget, my room is not big but with the addition of two floor speakers with good cables, my Technics SU-V620 amplifier, Technics SL 1200 MK2, Audio Technically VM530 cartdrige, and mono/ stereo switch for vynil, I have the satisfaction pursued for years. Sweet and warm! My only comment is that a group of good speakers make the whole difference. Your ears knows what are the looking for. Music now is multidimentional and full of depth: it's meaning has change for better.

5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I see so many troubleshooting posts around that I guess if your system sounds good with no hum, good channel balance and no distortions, you should be satisfied.

panasoffkee likes this.
  6. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I love all versions of my current setup that centre around my 3 way full range monitors. and have enough kit now to mix and match as my mood desires. All my combos sound good, really good and differ in slight yet equally enjoyable ways.

7. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I'm over the moon with my system as it stands. I did venture out of my financial comfort zone a couple of times but have been rewarded for doing so; so much so, I can't think of where I'd like to upgrade next.

8. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

Today... yes. Tomorrow?

9. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I have been building my system over roughly three years, exchanged every component twice, had the amp and the multiplayer modded, improved the room acoustics, and I was quite happy with the results.

The last thing left for possible improvements was, well, the cables... I have been reading quite a few of the ‚cable sound‘ discussions over the last few years, and this is NOT an invitation for anyone to load off another diatribe.

I have nothing to sell here, so if you already know that different cables cannot possibly make any difference, please move on to the next post.

To those still with me: There is so much back and forth about different cables, I eventually thought I had to give it a try and find out for myself. To cut a long story short, I ordered a complete set of power strip, power cables, and interconnects from an owner-manufacturer German website specialized in hifi cables. Before I ordered, I called the guy up, we had a nice long chat, and he eventually recommended his mid-range line. He also offered a full return policy, so there was no risk for me. His components are strictly chosen for performance, and compared to some of the other high-end stuff out there, they actually look pretty cheap. Which is a good thing in my book.

I know that wishful thinking always plays a big role in these things, but I have also learned to trust my ears. The new cables took about 20 hours to fully break in. The difference is nothing short of overwhelming. The instrument separation and sound stage have once again improved considerably. Tiny distortions in the high notes (that were only noticeable when cranking up artists like Jane Ira Bloom on the soprano sax) are now totally gone. Also, the music has gained more ‚airiness‘, everything sounds ‚lighter‘ in a way.

I had hoped for some light improvements, and I was fully prepared to return the cables and join the voodoo league on this matter. The actual improvement is far beyond what I had imagined.

What they tell me is that it is important that all components are from the same line, and of course, they will need to fit the rest of your system.

I was pretty happy with my setup before, but now I have reached a point that I feel this might well be the last system I ever bought. With the new cables I have now reached ‚total immersion‘ and what more could I probably hope for?

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I'm satisfied one day and plotting a new purchase the next. If I ever win the lottery, I plan on getting completely ridiculous with it.

SandAndGlass and SirMarc like this.
  11. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Same here, more or less. The upgrade game was fun while it lasted, but now I feel it‘s over and I intend to enjoy what I built and leave it at that. I feel that I maxed out my possibilities in every single aspect, and I must admit, I like that feeling.

myles likes this.
  12. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It could be better, but I'm not bugged by it. The important thing is my music collection. I can always upgrade, or buy new equipment, but the records and cds are hard gotten.

14. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

I'm getting close but no cigar. Tomorrow morning I'm inserting an REL S5 SHO into my system to add depth to both bass and soundstage, not to mention its effect on midrange richness. I'll then take a long break before I upgrade my cart and perhaps roll some more tubes. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but I'm picky (and isn't that what this hobby is all about). After playing guitar (acoustic) and singing with a friend this afternoon and listening to live music tonight, I'll have retuned my ear again. But honestly, unless you're listening to purely acoustic music, the SQ of most PAs/sound systems/rooms that you listen to "Live" music in pretty much sucks in many circumstances. In any event, it's the journey in this hobby, not the destination (which is elusive).

Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Lyra Delos/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables

15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

My system could be improved in several ways, but nevertheless I am satisfied with it. It makes me happy whenever I listen to it, and it has no deficiencies that bother or nag at me.

I'm sure I will upgrade some things over time as finances allows. But a couple of years ago I got it to a point where it never bothered me, and where I am reliably struck by how good it sounds every time I start listening to it (which is pretty much every day). I feel quite fortunate that we live in a time when one can put together a nice, truly hi-fi (if not high end) system for $5k or so.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  16. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

i am ecstatic with my current put together system. It has taken me 30 years to get where i am at now, and i am in heaven with my system. my 2nd system is also amazing!

my answer is YES, i am VERY happy with my system(s)

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It took you thirty years get iPod sound quality?? What's your second system a portable cassette player?:shrug::confused:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  18. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

HAHAHAH... sure i listen to my iPod, that was a mistake from a previous post smart a$$ when i didn't know any better.
    my system is great.my amps are great, my newly acquired preamp and cd player are great. i couldn't be happier with what i have.
    no iPod included in my systemm :)

30 years to get the equipment i currently have.
    thanks for the smile.....i really needed it today. sigh. been a rough past 7 months. life takes very rapid 90 degree turns and when you get blindsided, its even worse. so in all seriousness, thank you for the smile!!! much appreciated

Tullman likes this.
  19. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Yes, I'm satisfied. I hesitate in saying so because every time I declare being off the damn merry-go-round I soon find myself right back on. After years of curiosity I finally went down the SET/high-efficiency loudspeaker path. Sure, I could throw a lot more money at my system, buy "better" speakers or a higher-end streamer but I'm so enthralled, so captivated by the sound quality, I don't see the point. Funny, this isn't the most expensive system I've put together either. In fact, it's among the most affordable. There's a lot to be said about system synergy. Wasn't it Aristotle who said "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"?

G B Kuipers likes this.
  20. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

[​IMG]
    My headphone collection hanging in my music & tv room, from left to right : HD600, AKG 340, HD650,PS1000 (original) & AKG 240 Sextett. I don't have speakers. For now I prefer headphones.
    [​IMG]
    Old school for sure : left to right : vintage Sansui AU-719 integrated amplifier, JDS Labs Objective 2 & Teac PD-H600 CD player. All audio items' "feet" rest on sorbothane.
    [​IMG]
    My main CD collection which consists of the ones I listen to most often. I have more on the shelf above my headphones which consists mainly of the BeaTles 2009 stereo & mono remastered boxes, the remixed Sgt Pepper deluxe box & the BeaTles #1 remixed deluxe box with CDs & Blu Ray discs. I also have three more shelves of cds in the basement which I periodically inspect and take out one or two albums I haven't heard in a long time. I'm happy & satisfied with CDs, not being good with technology I don't foresee the day that I'll be downloading music anytime soon. I'm 62 & my wife & I are both retired and this is how I relax at night time. I love this set up. The sound is outstanding.

21. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have recently retired and made a couple of, for me, big purchases (amp + speakers).

I listen to vinyl almost exclusively and am very satisfied with my setup.

I like transparency in my music and I guess I have purchased components to that goal.

Within the constraints of my budget and listening space I am very happy, it's like having a whole new record collection to listen to.

Incidentally, I bought both amp + speakers ex-demo, great deals and both in beautiful condition.

22. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Sorry to say I hated my PrimaLuna with kt120s in it. Liked it well enough with the el34s installed, or good 6550s...

Maybe I should hear an amp specifically designed around kt120s though. Used a ARC Ref150 for a while but with sub par pre-amp so that doesn't count I guess.

23. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I've been satisfied with every system I've owned except for a stock dynaco setup.
    The only thing holding back some of my satisfaction would be some of the speakers I've tried.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, but it could always be better...money does buy great sound!

25. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

For the most part I love my system. I would always envy to add outrageous priced equipment, but alas I am poor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.