Are you satisfied with your hifi system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For the interested, yes, I'm always trying. Just last night I did a shootout of needledrops (recorded with my Sony PCM-M10) of the new Cypress Hill Record Store Day release of "Black Sunday" remixes. I like to use Stanton 681EEE cartridges but finding new styli sucks. Vintage start around $100. I used to like one aftermarket made by Astatic the P1122 but its gone now from the company (sold for $30). The current $30 replacement is from Turntable Needles, their Japanese Pickering D750 styli (interchangeable on Stanton 681EEEs). So here's shootout of the Astatic vs the TTNeedle styli. Hopefull Soundcloud will allow the samples to remain up.

Comparison D750 replacement Styli Astatic PI122 vs TTNeedles D750

2. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I love the way my system sounds! I've had a stereo since 1969. The Magnepan MMGs and Outlaw amps are a magic combo!

3. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Yes. Completely. I have reached the point where I no longer feel the need/urge to upgrade. My system makes magic each time I turn it on - and that's what this hobby is all about.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I could join that club. I've got a Pro-Ject Debut III. So yes, it does suck. It's currently boxed up because it's not worth using.

I do plan on getting a proper turntable that I'll be happy with. Not in a hurry though. I only have a few hundred LPs. And almost all of those I also have in digital. So no hurry. I keep buying LPs knowing I'll have a good turntable setup soon.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. 2point1

2point1 Forum Resident

Now Ham has made me wonder about my TT................

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It's all relative. My Debut III has too much motor rumble and noise for me for headphone listening. On my headphone setup that motor rumble is easy to hear and it bothers me. I need a TT that is quiet cause my headphones are too revealing of rumble noise.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. 2point1

2point1 Forum Resident

I can see where headphones would make a difference. I also hope to get a proper TT soon, but I am in a forced learning curve trying to learn all I can about TT's first. :cool:

8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

+1, just traded the Phono Box DS+ in for a Hana EL cart. The phono was an absolute "meh" - uninspiring, even if decent overall.

Airbus and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Otherwise, my two systems are a constant work in progress - I'm always looking for ways to improve/upgrade. It may be a sickness, but hey - I love it when my efforts bear fruit, and the improvement in sound is apparent. Sometimes sources get changed, sometimes components withing the sources, sometimes even little tweaks produce felt results.

apesfan and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

MAC6700
    MCD7007
    Aerial 10T
    VPI Classic 3 w/ Sumiko Blackbird

yup, happy

SirMarc likes this.
  11. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Yep, but could use mo' amp....

12. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Fuc.in A!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Had hum issues with my VN, TD-160 Super. Did a temporary additional ground, to the top of the deck. That solved the hum issues. I bought some new quart paint cans and some fresh kitty-litter to fill them for weight. When I get around to it, I will place some hand towels over the paint cans, turn the unit over, remove the bottom and find a place to permanently attach the extra ground.

What's funny here, is that Rega doesn't have a separate grounding wire for the Reega / Moth 202 tonearm, just the pair of RCA interconnects. But... VN had the tonearm rewired with a pre-made Cardas phone interconnects, which has a grounding wire?

I have just acquired a Rega RP6, with the white rubber band and a Groovetracer subplatter, with the TTPSU and a Rega Exact cartridge.

Hum... Hum... Hum...

Love the TT, hate the HUM!

So I am going to have to do some work on this one. :realmad:, :winkgrin:

Your TD-125 is an excellent TT, but a lot to get optimal performance. In the end, it might even outperform one of the Gerrard 301's or 401's, but, at that point, you will have invested a great deal of time and money.

A 401 will give you the solid bass that you are looking for. And, with a the right arm and cart. it might be a perfect solution for what you are seeking.

But, if your budget is more modest, either of the TT's that I have mentioned that I have currently in the set-up, would accomplish the task.

It's not just about the TT, it is about everything in the system and to this effect, every component is important.

My suggestion is to not just consider the TT, consider everything and the part that the TT contributes to the play.

My system is very complex and requires an "operator". When it fails to deliver (because I know that it can), it comes down to two points, either the source is not up to snuff or there is operator error, meaning me!

But, as you say, not all vinyl is what it is cracked up to be.

Gasman1003 and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have four different systems and except for my headphone based system, I have been satisfied for a decade or so. Could they be better? Sure but given the requirements of domestic living it would be quite expensive to make any major upgrade other than with a headphone system.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  15. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Last time I posted in the thread, I was still constantly looking for improvments. I’ve since got me a Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC and Auralic Aries G2 streamer and now I find myself no longer researching any upgrades, not even the preamp I thought I needed to upgrade before. Damn you Schiit!

In fact I’m selling my RP8/Apheta 2 as well now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.