Are you satisfied with your hifi system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes. I have a solid state system and more vintage tube system. Enjoy them both and have no desire to spend money on either one. I should cut back on my music purchases though.

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My wife sometimes thinks I should pad my room:)

Vinny123 and SirMarc like this.
  3. hifidelitea

hifidelitea Senior Member

I am completely satisfied, the upgrade is a slow and long process. But very very happy with my current setup.
    All I need is not to have anyone telling me to lower the volume. But having said that, low volume listening is still absolutely wonderful, even tho' the system is not meant for that.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Boy I sure hope this doesn't happen to me Dennis. I just added a preamp in hopes it would be the last upgrade for a long time. But my trigger point was new speakers, which needed more power, and a better digital source, and ultimately my first dedicated preamp. "Needed" may not be the correct word :). So a preamp can trigger new purchases. In my experience so can speakers.

Dennis0675 and Kyhl like this.
  5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Very satisfied with my rather modest system and no plans/thoughts to change/upgrade anything.

6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Having four different rooms to put systems in helps. Can't believe that I match you here.
    Helps to be satisfied with Tull playing in every room.

showtaper likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Oh yeah, speakers can expose weak links up stream. You can usually pin point the weak link and that gets you thinking about upgrading the weak link. It is a constant cycle until you quit.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I absolutely love the sound of my system today. But I still continue the search for ways to improve it. Although I more often than not at this point in time changes result in worse sound initially. But I'm finding that one area which continues to pay dividends is tube rolling. It simply amazes me how the right tubes can make a mediocre amps sound pretty good, and the wrong tubes can male a great amp sound bad. So tube rolling has been one of my big focuses in recent years.

GyroSE likes this.
  9. mds

mds Forum Resident

Never and I would never want to be. I view it as an artistic work and as an artist I will always strive for improvement. The real question for me, am I happy with my system, and the answer is yes, but it could always be better.

chili555 likes this.
  10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Something about great minds........ :D

(I can feed them all from the same source when necessary.)

tootull likes this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I have to answer this thread again after tonight’s red wine and Pioneer SX 1250 with Sunfire sub and.. other .. anyway, blue note jazz , The Cars or whatever I want to hear in a new light! heck yea I’m satisfied and wondering as we all do... what if.
    Love this stuff man. Happy thanksgiving:)

Kyhl, Dennis0675 and SirMarc like this.
  12. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Mine has it’s moments but I also know it could be better with a better preamp, and then better speakers, then better amps, and then better DAC, and then better preamp and then better speakers...

missan likes this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’m thinking mine will get better if I lower my caffeine intake.

14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

And up the "other" lol

Dennis0675 and Manimal like this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Just about anything can get the dominos falling if you get out in front by a bunch with any one component. Speakers are probably the worst (or best) at doing that. I’m of the thinking that speakers should be the best part of a system. It’s pretty tough to be satisfied with a system if you don’t get that part where you want it.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

You know.........dats right:)

SirMarc likes this.
  17. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I am extremely satisfied with every hifi system I have in my current home.

18. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

I have a simple 2 component setup; a tube CD player (Astin Trew AT3500), tube integrated amp (Leben CS600), and bookshelf speakers (LS50), that I'm very happy with, in my music room (5m x 7m). I believe clean power is essential so I invested in an isolation transformer with voltage regulation (Torus TOT AVR). I also use various Combak Harmonix footers under my components and speakers. But the key element in giving my system a strong foundation in bringing out the musical performance from recordings is a full Reproformance cable loom (from Singapore supplier Sky Audio). The power cords, interconnect and speaker cables are the end-game for my system - I don't need to upgrade any more... seriously! Now I just tube roll to achieve different flavours in sound. I wished I had come across Reproformance earlier... it would have saved me a lot of time and money in terms of cable upgrades.

19. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

I am, but I am also obsessed with it! This obsession leads me to these forums, and I get ideas. Those ideas lead to me spending money on "upgrades" to my system. Currently I am running a Kenwood KD 500 turntable into a McIntosh C32 pre to a McIntosh MC2105 power amp, into Klipsch Cornwalls. The sound is incredible, but I really want a better tone arm on my turntable. I just won an auction on eBay for a Shure m97 cartridge, and ordered an HE stylus for it. Can't wait to hear it. I love this!

Dennis0675 and Bananas&blow like this.
  20. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’d like to have the ProAc Response D48R speakers. There are certainly higher levels available for all components in my system, but that’s the potential upgrade that comes to mind.

21. Flatlander

Flatlander Forum Resident

Well, as with most of us, I have more than one system that runs in my world.

What I would call my MAIN listening system is very satisfying. I use open baffle speakers of my own design (dual fifteen inch drivers down low, full range eight inch for mids and a semi-circle of five ribbon tweets surrounding the top), tube amplification, tube pre-amp, Dual or Technics turntables, mostly vinyl or cd, but a computer handy for digital files as sources.
    It does everything I need.

Outdoors, I have a per side set up of dual eighteen, dual fifteen, single twelve, single large mid horn and quad bullet tweets (all JBL leftovers from the old days), tri-amped with about two thousand watts per side, simple dvd player and a computer for source. Very satisfying for weenie roasts or what ever other reason I can think of to build a fire and sit out and listen to music half the night.
    In the garage I have, a simple old school (hell. all my stuff is old school) two way passive system using Altec fifteen and passive horns with a Crown DC150 and a cassette and dvd player for source. I would really like to build a quick computer to use with all the other wireless stuff going on.

Bedroom, a simple Sony receiver with Klipsch surround 7.2 (the .2 are really old eight inch JBL subwoofers, tucked in corners - wife friendly), Sony bluray and Samsung 40 inch monitor.

Back to the living room I have a kind of movie theater set up 5.1 (.1 so to speak - the sub is actually biamped - four fifteens below 25Hz and two tens from around 25Hz to about 60Hz where the 15 inch tops with horns and bullets take over) and it rocks. The entire system is again, leftovers from my sound company days - right and left are 15+horn+bullet, center is dual 10s+horn+dual bullets, rears are single 10+bullet. Very efficient and can be excruciatingly loud if need be.
    Very satisfying with even the most dynamic movies.

DO NOT TRY TO TALK LOUDER THAN MY MOVIE! If I decide to turn it up because you will not shut up, I will win.
    :cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  22. nola27

nola27 Active Member

satisfied with everything but my integrated amp which is a Yamaha RX-770 from the mid-90's. its ok but I'm in the hunt for something new, maybe another Yamaha. don't quite know yet but my budget can't be anymore than $700 and am open to used also. I'm just a 2 channel guy and already have a DAC which I like a lot. speakers are the original Nola Boxers which still amaze me.

George Blair likes this.
  23. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

No, not satisfied at the moment. I have age-related high frequency hearing loss, and any normal hi-fi system sounds 'wrong'. I think I'm getting close to making my personal headphone/DAC/amp/parametric equalizer that will correct my hearing like a hearing aid. Think of it as a new pair of glasses for my ears.

24. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

in a word, yes.-i am content.

I will splurge for a new tonearm next year.

Been looking at speakers...not in a rush.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.