Are you watching Glee?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that the show was also one of the highest-rated in a long time. The Glee versions of "Smooth Criminal," "Human Nature," and Black and White" are already in the Top 10 on iTunes.

2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Well, it was one of the few (maybe only) new eps being aired that night. My guess is that the other networks thought that the Florida primary news would interrupt regular broadcasts, so they mostly showed reruns. So...

My wife & I enjoyed the first season of Glee. It was new, fresh, funny, & interesting. By the end it was clear there was nowhere to go but become a teen soap opera, & we hadn't watched since. The "Michael" episode seemed interesting from the previews, so we planned to record it for later viewing. But after watching it, it has become clear that the show has not progressed much at all in the past two years, other than throwing in a new character or two. If anything, they seem even more whiney, if that's possible. The singing & arrangements have actually gotten worse, imo. If what I heard on Tuesday is the only exposure that some young people have to MJ's music, that is sad.

On the upside, Dianna Agron (Quinn) has actually developed into a pretty good actress though (both in the series & on the big screen), & I see big things for her in the future. Naya Rivera (Santana) is still hot & her singing is one of the few who has improved (Auto-tune not withstanding). Everyone else is treading water, imo).

Moving on...

3. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I have not been keeping up with Glee. I'll get around to catching up on everything I've missed eventually, but right now, it's no longer something I feel any desire to be current on. I've been really disappointed with this season.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree with you that the first season was fresh, new, and interesting. But I think that the concept was always going to be hard to sustain over multiple seasons. I stuck it out through the second season, but have up on it this season.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Meant to type "have given up on it this season."

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Smooth Criminal was the only thing that really wowed me this past episode. Everything else wasn't that interesting. It's still just eye and ear candy for me. I don't take anything too seriously on the show and if you have that attitude it's a nice piece of entertaining fluff to watch.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There was one uncomfortable moment: when the choir teacher wrote on the blackboard, "What would Michael Jackson do?" as the point of the class.

I had a snappy answer involving Propofol, Ambien, chimps, and young children, but I thought I'd keep it to myself... :sigh:

I also chuckled at the gimmick they used to get Darren Criss out of the show, so the actor could do a couple of months on Broadway (in real life). At least they said in the show, "we might go to the police!" Trust me, if somebody threw something in my face and temporarily blinded me in one eye and scratched the cornea of my eye, there'd be cops, lawyers, school officials, the whole deal.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Last night I choked up hearing Mercedes sing - I Will Always Love You...

9. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I haven't watched the show this season, but did watch the first half last night while waiting for "Cougar Town". It was like being in a place you know, but the people you associate with it aren't there. First there were Rachel's two Dads, then this new girl, an Irish guy, and another new guy at the Christian group. It didn't connect like it used to. I was a devotee for Season 1.

I did just see Amber Riley's performance of "I'll Always Love You" on YouTube. I am saying it was Amber's performance rather than her characters name, because Amber did a great job on it. Yeah, misty too.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet this was shot Sunday night or Monday morning, and slammed into the show at the very last minute.

BTW, Glee is about to take a two-month hiatus, which is not a good sign.

I'm hoping when they come back, the Glee kids will all move into a haunted house in LA, and we can combine Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk's American Horror Story with this one: a musical, all-singing, all-dancing ghost story!

11. tommy-thewho

GLEE is on hiatus till April 10th.

Quite a shocking episode this week with cliffhanger ending....

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Boy, they threw the kitchen sink into this one. It was as if they realized, "hey, there's been very little plot in the last four or five episodes... let's put way too much in this one!"

Many months ago, I predicted what was going to happen to the closeted jock. It didn't quite go the way I thought it would, but I was close. That to me was very predictable and contrived, and done in kind of a throwaway manner. But I appreciate that they were making a positive effort, plus there was a nice :30 second spot in the middle of the show for the Trevor Project.

As to the final shocking shot: even more important than the "don't bully kids who are different in schools" message (which has been going on since episode #1), I think it's good to warn kids, "don't text while driving!" Important safety tip.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Gotta wonder what the driver of the OTHER car was doing, though, seeing as how there was no way he could not have seen her heading into his path from a long way away. That whole scene looked kind of unconvincing, and predictable.

Honestly, I thought this might have been the worst episode 'Glee' has ever done. I love the ones where nothing makes any sense (we'll determine who the best Spanish teacher is by how well they sing English-language songs? um, okay. why not. I, at least, continue to believe (with no justification) that Schuster revealed to have been teaching Spanish for three years without being able to speak a word of it is a clear shout-out to 'Community', possibly as payback for their Christmas episode.) and I can ignore the ones where they just sing and dance for no reason, but the "very special episodes" where we're all supposed to learn a valuable lesson seem to be handled with the wit and grace of a sledgehammer. Plus, I'm not sure that the teenage viewers of the show are likely to be the bullies. Nor am I sure that any of the cast needed a further excuse to sing songs about "believing in yourself" and "finding the strength within" or whatever.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Funny you would say that. I told a friend of mine today, "I think this was the best show they've done all year in terms of the musical performances, and the absolutely worst show of the year dramatically, in terms of acting and story." So I agree with your point.

And BTW: the whole thing with "Regionals" made me puke. It's supposed to be a surprise that they're gonna win? It was a total waste of time. But I got a chuckle out of the fact that all the groups ran all over the stage without microphones, and then when the host came on to reveal the winner... HE used a microphone. :confused:

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

No, it was known that it was going to be part of the episode before Whitney died. Just a coincidence.

16. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'm kind of behind. I've gotten through the Michael Jackson episode, which I thought was awful.

17. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

awful, awful, awful, awful, AWFUL show. you guys are taking the piss surely?

it has all the charm of the S Club 7 juniors. and less.

18. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

19. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I heard Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know in a Glee commercial the other day and got excited for a moment, until I realized that they were probably going to ruin it with a horrendous amount of auto-tune.

20. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Still haven't gotten to the Gotye part of the episode, but...

I'm appalled by the tragic Eurotrash club remix of songs from Duran Duran's Rio album.

21. tommy-thewho

Luckily Matt Boomer saved this week's show.

22. tommy-thewho

Decent episode last night. They brought the disco ball out...

Tribute to Saturday Night Fever.

Quinn was missing. She must really be in the dog house...

23. Didn't like the "Disco Inferno" rendition. Did it have to be a key higher than the original version?

Also I think one of the other songs may have been sung a semi-tone or tone lower than the original key.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

This past episode was pretty dumb. How Deep Is Your Love and If I Can't have You were pretty good and Disco Inferno. Everybody else was pretty painful trying sing falsetto a la Bee Gees. Episode was very sappy as well.

25. After my wife and I watched Glee we watched a BeeGee concert DVD. It is amazing how good Barry can sing falsetto and how the three of them can harmonize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.