Aretha Franklin Amazing Grace Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

2. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

The original is fantastic.. it’s not in front of me but mine is a RL, I believe.

3. jojopuppyfish

And you are referring to a vinyl pressing correct?
    I am looking for cd

seaisletim likes this.
  4. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Fair point. My apology.

Great music, no matter how we listen. My preferred method of Sunday reflection

majorlance likes this.
  5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

6. jojopuppyfish

thanks everyone

7. And mastering?

The "Complete" doesn't feel as though it's worth the ridiculous cost to me. The songs are all included on the original album. I can live without intros. But which CD sounds the best? Is the new LP any good?

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Atlantic cd from the 80s sounds fine to me. It was mastered by Stephen Innocenzi.

SteveM likes this.
  9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I got the Complete Recordings on CD the day it came out & it's phenomenal, I'm not audiophile but it sounds pristine to me.

I don't have the original album so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

10. That was remastered in 1999, the decade that anything remastered in tends to be heavily frowned upon within this forum!

Mook likes this.
  11. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

This is the version I found for fifty cents just a few weeks ago. Nobody wants CDs around her anymore. Odd fact,if Wiki is right,this is Aretha's biggest selling album,and biggest gospel album of anyone ,ever,as of 2017.

12. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Yeah, I know, I don't really have any point of comparison for that particular album though so just thought I would state that I'm really happy with my copy.

13. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I just compared Wholy Holy between the HDtracks version (original mix with overdubs) with my rip of the "Complete Recordings" CDs. I recommend the HDtracks (probably available from other distributors also). It has a better soundstage and nicer EQ to me.

14. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

15. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Saw the trailer on YouTube today... I am late to the game I know. Where can the film be seen or bought?

16. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

You need both. That original has studio overdubs and edits, the complete version does not and is obviously 100% true to what actually happened.

For the original, the HDtracks version sounds awesome, nice dynamics. For the complete version, 1999 CD is the only option.

17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I saw the film a couple of days ago. Very intense performance, and a must for Aretha fans. A fascinating document which was shelved due to technical difficulties which are obvious here, but doesn’t spoil the enjoyment. It was filmed over two nights. Mick Jagger was in the audience for the second night.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I watched the movie today and it was great and very intense. Goose bumps the minute Aretha starts singing. Awesome that this is finally released.

Now I need a good sounding CD. :love:

johnnyyen, Mook and longdist01 like this.
  20. The 2CD remaster is your friend.

Yost and Mook like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.