Aretha Franklin - 'I Never Loved A Man' question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Aretha Frankin/Never Loved A Man question

Re: Atlantic R2 71934

This CD was released with the MONO tape sound dominating the release. There's stereo cuts as bonus selections. Damage on the mono tape was left alone. (Not a bad thing)

Real boring question.... Why mono over stereo? :) I'm thinking both mixes wasn't on the CD for price ($) point, correct?

Br3tto likes this.
  2. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Maybe irrelevant to your question, but the mono mix is much preferable to the stereo as it's got much more punch. One man's opinion, however.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, with Atlantic in 1967, the mono still beat out any stereo.

"I Never Loved A Man..." was recorded in Muscle Shoals, and the rhythm track for "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" was also recorded there.

The mono vs. stereo on those two tracks is like night and day! The mono is bright, brassy, clean, has a full dynamic range, and is very dynamic. The stereo, on the other hand, is muddy and very hissy. With the other tracks, there are mostly differences in the mixes. There is a sax on the end of the mono mix of "Dr. Feelgood" where on the stereo there is none.

4. Matt

Matt New Member

You could be right, Scott, Rhino may have done that to keep the cost down.

How about the MFSL Ultradisc? Is that in stereo?

5. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

One of my prized garage sale finds a few years ago was a mono copy of that LP for 25 cents. It's just great.

6. Sckott

Wow that is nice.

Yes, I totally agree about the mono. Beautiful and direct mix.

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, the MFSL cd is stereo.

8. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

To tell the truth, nearly all of Atlantic's singles released in that era sound much better in mono. Especially with the heavy type of vocals and horn-oriented stuff on the Aretha records, you need to have the mono recording to give that extra "gut bucket" in-your- face sound. Trouble is, just like with the Motown remasters on CD, even the mono stuff does not have quite the punch that the original 45s had. Unless of course we get lucky enough to have someone (I wonder who?) redo them!

9. Sckott

FWIW, the 4 Men With Beards LP release is also Stereo. Not as good as the Inglot Mono, pound for pound.

They're both great tho.

10. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Yes - and I never was too impressed with the sound of the MFSL "Lady Soul/Aretha Now" - but would never part with a MFSL 2 fer of vintage "Aretha:"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.